fightingdingo

What Can I Do With AirNav Acars Decoder 2.1?

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:22 am

http://www.airnavsystems.com/anad/

If anyone has this program I would like to know what you think of it, but I also have some more specific questions.

I live in PDX and am mainly interested in just getting ACARS transmissions of aircraft either using PDX or flying over PDX. Is that possible using a live feed from the internet without a scanner. There is a live PDX ATC feed but I think you have to use different frequencies than ATC for ACARS. Correct?

I know that you get flight numbers, regs, and aircraft types from transmissions as well as a bunch of numbers and letters that dont mean anything, but is it possible to get transmissions in actual English that I would understand?

Last question, of all of the aircraft flying into PDX how many regs would I actually pick up?

What I would really like to do with this program is be able to get reg info of aircraft using PDX without having to connect a scanner to my computer and putting a big antenna outside my house.

Any freeware out there that will let me get regs?

Thanks for your help!
Zach

Newark777

RE: What Can I Do With AirNav Acars Decoder 2.1?

Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:36 am

Quoting FightingDingo (Thread starter):

I live in PDX and am mainly interested in just getting ACARS transmissions of aircraft either using PDX or flying over PDX. Is that possible using a live feed from the internet without a scanner. There is a live PDX ATC feed but I think you have to use different frequencies than ATC for ACARS. Correct?

ACARS uses its own dedicated frequencies, not the voice ones.

but is it possible to get transmissions in actual English that I would understand?

Sometimes you get weather data, gate assignments, and requests for wheelchairs, etc.

What I would really like to do with this program is be able to get reg info of aircraft using PDX without having to connect a scanner to my computer and putting a big antenna outside my house.

I don't have any fancy setup, I just use my old $80 scanner sitting on my dresser, that I plug in and leave on. Works like a charm.

Any freeware out there that will let me get regs?

I use ARARSD, which is free, and hasn't given me any problems.

http://www.acarsd.org/

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

Sinkrate

Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:32 pm

Harry

Thanks for the link to ACARSD. It looks pretty cool. And free is always a good price.

Michael

David L

Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:41 pm

The AirNav decoder allows you to use an internet feed but you'd obviously require a feed from near PDX to be on line at the appropriate time.

fightingdingo

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:07 am

Thanks for the program. I downloaded it and stored all of the US frquencies found here: http://www.acarsd.org/ACARS_frequencies.html

What do I use to connect the scanner to the sound card? I have a connector that goes from the scanner headphone jack to the computer's headphone jack.

Does the program work automatically when I open it and have my scanner turned on and scanning the ACARS frequencies, or do I have to do something else?

Zach