BA787
Topic Author

Direct GPS, VOR-VOR Or Airways

Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:27 pm

Which is more realsitic in airline operations for FS2004. Direct GPS, VOR-VOR or High/Low Altitude Airways

I want it to be as parallel to airline operations as possible.

Tom

Mir

RE: Direct GPS, VOR-VOR Or Airways

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:06 am

In the US, you can use either VOR to VOR or airways. Direct GPS is only appropriate if you're flying from Nowheresville A to Nowheresville B without leaving the middle of nowhere.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

cptspeaking

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:11 am

Most airlines file their flightplans on airways (<18,000 - low altitude; FL180 or greater - high), but they also get direct-to clearances while enroute. These could be to a waypoint or to the destination airport. If it is a big airport, it would most likely be to the initial fix on the arrival procedure. This is where you run into some problems with FS9, because it doesn't do departure and arrival procedures. The only way you could do something like that and incorporate it into the FS ATC is to buy a program like FSBuild that creates flight plans for you and saves them in FS format.

If you've got any complex add-on airplanes from companys such as PMDG, PSS or Level-D, then you could just program the FMC with your route and fly it without ATC (IFR anyways...). If you're looking for real-world routes, go on www.flightaware.com and you can see what routes have been filed and can fly those exactly.

Happy flying!!

Your CptSpeaking  wave 
...and don't call me Shirley!!

LTU932

Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:51 am

Don't use neither low or high airways if you're flying Transatlantic. Especially since FS doesn't have any basic NATs hardcoded.

If you fly FS default low or high airways transoceanic flight, not only the routing becomes harder, but also that it could make your flight an RTW flight without you wanting it.

David L

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:26 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 3):
Don't use neither low or high airways if you're flying Transatlantic. Especially since FS doesn't have any basic NATs hardcoded.

Yes, get a third party planner for that!

jetmatt777
Crew

Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:15 am

I fly VOR to VOR.

-Matt  Smile
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

northstardc4m

Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:17 am

I hope everyone realises you can build your own FP starting from GPS direct in FS2004 flightplanner? Simply drag the red line to the nav point you wish to use (NDF/VOR/Airport/Intersection) and it will add to the flightplan, though most of the time a box will pop up asking what you want to align to and will list airways which you can't insert (grrrr) before the rest.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Mir

Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:41 pm

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 6):
I hope everyone realises you can build your own FP starting from GPS direct in FS2004 flightplanner?

Of course. But it's a real pain in the ass. Then I got FSNavigator and that was never a problem again.  biggrin 

-Mir

AirWillie6475

Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:04 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 7):
FSNavigator and that was never a problem again.

How does that work? It's confusing.

BA787
Topic Author

Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:09 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 7):
Then I got FSNavigator and that was never a problem again.

I sit free
 Big grin

Tom

David L

Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:13 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 7):
But it's a real pain in the ass.

Yup!

Quoting Mir (Reply 7):
Then I got FSNavigator and that was never a problem again

Ditto!

Mir

Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:10 am

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 8):
How does that work? It's confusing.

It actually works on much the same principle as the default FS planner, with a few major (critical) differences:

1) You can insert SIDs and STARs.
2) Instead of dragging your route to the waypoints you want to go through, you drag the waypoints you want to go through to your route. Seems insignificant, but it really does make things a lot easier.
3) FSNav allows you to insert oceanic waypoints into your route
4) FSNav displays airways much more clearly than the default planner.

And FSNavigator has the ability to act as a radar for multiplayer sessions.

-Mir

malaysia

Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:44 am

I just use direct GPS, too lazy and the default FS gets nasty on transoceanic flights, for some reason it use to look realistic but suddenly it makes some sort of way point totally out of place and makes it zig zag now, so I went to direct GPS.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

Pilot3033

Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:40 pm

Most of my flights are on VATSIM, so I use www.flightaware.com to find the route, and use FSBuild to put the route in FS and all my addons. If I need to actually plan a route (I was unable to find a real-world flightplan, but it does not happen often) I use FSBuild on it's own as a flight planner as well as FSNav.

FS is really bad at flight planning. VOR-VOR has to be the worst of the three.
-Matt

David L

Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:50 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 11):
2) Instead of dragging your route to the waypoints you want to go through, you drag the waypoints you want to go through to your route. Seems insignificant, but it really does make things a lot easier.

It becomes significant if the waypoint is a long way from the current flight path.

Quoting Mir (Reply 11):
4) FSNav displays airways much more clearly than the default planner.

But it doesn't include the airways in the printout of the plan - or have I missed something? It only takes 5 minutes to get the airways from the map, though.

Mir

Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:15 am

Quoting David L (Reply 14):
It becomes significant if the waypoint is a long way from the current flight path.

Absolutely.

Quoting David L (Reply 14):
But it doesn't include the airways in the printout of the plan - or have I missed something?

I don't print out plans, so I wouldn't know. I just write the airways and waypoints down and put them into my FMC.

-Mir