jasond

Aircraft Modelling In 3D

Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:33 pm

I was right into 3D graphics a long time ago (remember Babylon 5 being put together on banks of Amiga 2000's, that long ago!!!). Anyway my interest in this has been re-energised lately after seeing how far the quality of the software has progressed. Does anyone here do any of this kind of stuff? Specifically tips and tricks building aircraft wireframes in packages like Lightwave and Maya etc and maybe what you use as reference material. I am not talking about models built for FS but more broadcast quality stuff.

gunsontheroof

RE: Aircraft Modelling In 3D

Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:41 pm

All aircraft in FS are modeled using Discreet's gmax, which comes with FS9 for free. It's not exactly easy to use (I've only tinkered with it, that was enough), but if you want to design aircraft for FS9, that's what you'll have to learn to use.

jasond

Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:43 pm

I have used GMAX but I don't FS anymore. I have done it for 20 years and its time to move on. As stated previously this is 3D modelling for professional broadcast production work.

gunsontheroof

Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:09 pm

Clearly, I need to read threads more carefully. Disregard my post.

ba757

Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:39 pm

You can also use the grown up Gmax, 3D Studio Max.

Personally I cannot model an aircraft for toffee - seeing as I did 3D as part of my degree, I probably should be able too!  Smile

Adam

jasond

Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:48 pm

Quoting BA757 (Reply 4):
You can also use the grown up Gmax, 3D Studio Max.

I found that pretty tough to use over the years so I gravitated towards Lightwave mainly which seemed a lot easier for me to move around in. Anyways back in the old days I did a lot of sci-fi models and recently thought about doing some more stuff but this time, commercial aircraft. I was just wondering if anyone else does this sort of thing.

ba757

Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:04 pm

Quoting Jasond (Reply 5):

It is true, 3DS Max isn't the simplest and most user friendly application to use, but after all, it is a professional 3D Modeling Application capable of creating some amazing results.

3D modelling isn't for the faint hearted, not at least with the top level software packages.

I don't think airplanes are the simplest thing to model, however, once upon a time I did model a helicopter, I recall this been a lot simpler (due to the more boxiness of it, rather than the roundness of an aircraft).

Adam

jasond

Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:10 pm

Quoting BA757 (Reply 6):
I don't think airplanes are the simplest thing to model,

I think the hard bit is things like where wing roots and boxes meet fuselages and so on...

ba757

Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:51 am

Been my day off and with nothing else better to do, I started working on the E170 I started modeling about 6 months ago. Looks better now then it did then  Wink

Clearly a lot of work needs to be done to fine tune the fuselage (at the front and rear especially). Please note: A lot of it is unmodeled at this stage.

The inside of the aircraft is hollow, so I will probably model the interior also.

Please ignore the funky colours and unfinished model.

Big version: Width: 1152 Height: 838 File size: 121kb

Big version: Width: 1152 Height: 834 File size: 120kb

This isn't a aircraft for flight sim, it's just a 3D model - something for the portfolio I suppose.

Adam