warreng24

Recommendation For A Scanner To Hear ATC?

Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:13 am

Not sure if this belongs in Tech/ops or Hobby... mods, please feel free to relocate.

Can anyone recommend a good off-the shelf scanner for listening to ATC frequencies (1XX.XX frequencies)?

MissedApproach

RE: Recommendation For A Scanner To Hear ATC?

Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:39 am

I've got a Nexxtech Pro-82 I got at Radio Shack (before they changed the name up here), low price (about $100) & works well. I mean, anything in the pattern or on 4 miles final comes through, & ground/tower is always loud & clear. The catalogue # is 20-315.
Can you hear me now?

Newark777

Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:52 am

Get a cheap scanner with a good antenna. It's like cameras and lenses, it's the antenna that makes the scanner. And make sure the airband is covered before you buy!

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

usnseallt82

Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:35 am

Quoting MissedApproach (Reply 1):
I've got a Nexxtech Pro-82 I got at Radio Shack

I've got a PRO-94 which is very similar and works great. Its a good handheld, but as someone already said, it all depends upon what antenna you get.

If you have time, check out some of these...

http://www.radioshack.com/family/ind....jsp?categoryId=2032072&cp=2032052

Some of them can get pricey, but a good handheld for $100 will work great with a telescopic antenna.  yes 
Crye me a river

warreng24

Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:20 pm

Thanks for the tips folks!

I'm looking at the PRO-82 and PRO-94 which seem to be the same price. I'm guessing that the PRO-94 is the way to go for the same price.

Antennas make the scanner... What antennas do you recommend?

I'm thinking:
Center-Loaded Telescoping Whip Antenna (Catalogue 20-006)
PRO-94

Anyone have any experience with that antenna? The reviews on the Radio Shack site look good. I guess I should also seek out a ham shack type store or a cb radio store.

usnseallt82

Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:02 pm

Quoting Warreng24 (Reply 4):
Antennas make the scanner... What antennas do you recommend?

Well, the way it works is that antennas broadcast and receive side-to-side. That is, if you hold two pencils up like this... I I ...then the signal is bounced back between them. But, if you put the two like this... - - ...the signal is now going up and down and not necessarily receiving.

Point being, the more area on the side, or length, of an antenna for these scanners, the better. If you want something easy to be able to carry around with you while you walk around the airport or something, then you could go with something like this...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...arentPage=family&parentPage=family

However, if you are looking for better range and reception, then you want the telescopic one (which I recommend) here...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...078.2032098&pg=3&parentPage=family

I actually have both because I wanted to see the difference between the two. If you are going to sit in your car and listen some days, go with the telescopic. But if you're going to be at the airport near the aircraft, go with the rubber one.

Hope this helps out some.  Big grin
Crye me a river

Newark777

Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:17 pm

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 5):
Point being, the more area on the side, or length, of an antenna for these scanners, the better.

Not necessarily, the optimum antenna length for reception in the Ghz range is a few inches, while for a radio AM station it is a few hundred feet. So it varies. The antenna I bought (the second one you linked) actually said to not extend it all the way for optimum aviation reception.

Harry

usnseallt82

Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:28 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 6):
So it varies.

Well, yeah, it varies a lot. Then you have the main lobes and side lobes that can interfere or aid in reception.

I just wanted to keep it simple.  Big grin
Crye me a river

Newark777

Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:23 am

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 7):
I just wanted to keep it simple.

Keeping it even simpler, the antenna that comes with scanners sucks, and it is always a good idea to upgrade to something better.  Smile

Harry

LTU932

Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:25 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 8):
Keeping it even simpler, the antenna that comes with scanners sucks, and it is always a good idea to upgrade to something better.

Any suggestions for a PRO-94? I got one myself, but I've been thinking about getting a different antenna eventually for getting better reception at my house (especially SJO's frequencies and Central America Control).

Newark777

Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:46 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 9):
Any suggestions for a PRO-94? I got one myself, but I've been thinking about getting a different antenna eventually for getting better reception at my house (especially SJO's frequencies and Central America Control).

The one Sean linked above:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...078.2032098&pg=3&parentPage=family

works nicely and has been good to me in the year or so I've had it, and it's relatively cheap.

Harry

LTU932

Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:59 pm

Thanks, Harry. I'll look into that eventually (at least once I finally got my broadband connection online).

AirWillie6475

Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:49 am

http://www.radioshack.com/family/ind...cp=2032052&categoryId=2032072&pg=3

That's what I have, and you have to buy the longer antenna which doesn't come with the scanner. Costs $20 and they are found next to the scanners at RS. This model is designed for nascar use but it works perfectly for aviation frequencies and you can also store frequencies so you don't have to constantly be tuning.

COEWR737

Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:59 pm

Everybody is right...its the antenna that makes the scanner. But also remember that your location decides good reception for you too. Remember that VHF is line of sight. So you might be able to get hear an airport 5 x 5 in North Dakota about 30 miles away. But if you live on the other side of a mountain from an airport you might able to only hear the aircraft that are above it.
The Aviation Triangle: Pilot, Flight Attendant, and Aircraft Mechanic

cptspeaking

Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:52 am

I bought a PRO-76 scanner from Radio Shack about 4 years ago and it has served me very well...I've used it at the airport (duh...), in the airplane during a COMS failure, at home for NOAA weather stations, in my dorm to get the ATIS before going flying, and at races to hear the crews talk. I did buy a separate telescoping antenna that works a whole lot better than the one included. It's difficult to go way wrong when you're buying something like this unless you get one that doesn't support the aviation band.

Your CptSpeaking
...and don't call me Shirley!!