treeny

FS9 Active Runway - What Is It?

Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:02 am

All

I was wondering if there was a way to know the active runway when preparing for a departure in FS9.

The scenario is that I am programming my flight plan and IFR route but I can never know what is the active runway. With ATIS its ok if there is only one runway but many times there are multiple runways in use.

So I have to file my taxi before I am ready so that the ATC tells which runway I taxi to thus telling me the active runway.

Any ideas???

Thanks as always

Mark

AirPacific747

RE: FS9 Active Runway - What Is It?

Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:50 am

Quoting Treeny (Thread starter):

Any ideas???

Hmm I have the same problem actually but I have been wondering...

In real life you always take off against the wind direction, so if you press SHIFT + Z 3 times in FS, you will be able to see the wind direction in the upper part of the screen. Then try to see if there's a connection between the wind direction and the active runway and see if you can figure out which one is in use by looking at the wind direction. I hope this helps and I'll try to see if it works as well  Smile

EI787

Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:00 am

If you tune to the ATIS (usually number 1 on the ATC panel), it will tell you the active for departures and arrivals.

Hope that helps!

treeny

Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:17 am

Quoting EI787 (Reply 2):
If you tune to the ATIS (usually number 1 on the ATC panel), it will tell you the active for departures and arrivals.

Totally correct and thanks for the info but if there are multiple runways in use (I had it with Schipol last night hence my post) you dont know what ATC will give you until you file for taxi clearance.

Cheers

Mark

777DadandJr

Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:37 am

For a different approach, try setting up your flight to start at the gate instead of the active runway. When you get your ATC clearance, they will tell you which runway to use.

Russ
My glass is neither 1/2 empty nor 1/2 full, rather, the glass itself is twice as big as it should be.

alaska737

Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:05 am

Quoting 777DadandJr (Reply 4):
For a different approach, try setting up your flight to start at the gate instead of the active runway. When you get your ATC clearance, they will tell you which runway to use.

i dont know about anyone else but for me taxiing in FS is about as fun as watching paint dry.

usually what i do is set the wind at a low speed out of the exact direction of the runway i want to use, that way i know which runway the "active" will be.

another idea is set the theme to fair weather and the active runway will always be the same. for instance i know that in Kodaik with fair weather is always runway 25 (which isnt even a listed departure because there is a 3000' mountain at the end of the runway)

QantasA380

Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:15 pm

For parallel runways, you should be able to request any of them once your initial taxi clearance has come through - I do this all the time with SYD, eg if I want 16R and get 16L in my taxi clearance, then I use the "request another runway for takeoff" option in the ATC box...
Virgin Blue - what colour's RED????

jwenting

Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:39 pm

It's realistic to not know the active runway when filing your flightplan.
In real life you'd not know your assigned DP either, as that's assigned by ATC based on your flightplan and the runway they're going to give you.
I wish I were flying

Sinlock

Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:41 pm

Quoting Jwenting (Reply 7):
It's realistic to not know the active runway when filing your flightplan.
In real life you'd not know your assigned DP either, as that's assigned by ATC based on your flightplan and the runway they're going to give you.

True. Also it's very common to have as many as 4 of your first waypoints changed when calling "Ground Clearance" due to weather, runway direction, sequencing, and some NOTAMS.

One thing you can do is,
1. Pick your airport in the main menu. 2. Download your weather data. 3 Click on the weather station nearst your Arpt and look at the wind direction. 4. Set your first waypoints for the most likely runways you will get. This is far from flawless, and more so at Arpt's with multi runways (like EHAM KORD) but works for me pretty well.

In the end you just have to bite the bullet and pick your waypoints.

[Edited 2006-10-23 14:41:58]

jetmatt777
Crew

Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:18 am

Another thing which FS9 uses is by GPS. If you are closer to lets say you're parked at Terminal 1 at LAX. It will give you 24L because that is the closer runway, unless you disable take-off's from that runway in AFCAD. But I heard its something like that

-Matt  Smile
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

gunsontheroof

Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:15 am

Quoting Treeny (Reply 3):
Totally correct and thanks for the info but if there are multiple runways in use (I had it with Schipol last night hence my post) you dont know what ATC will give you until you file for taxi clearance.

Check your position on the map. Nine times out of ten they send you to the active runway you're closest to.