chewingplastic

Difference Between ILS And Runway

Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:07 pm

On the FMC, when choosing the Arrival route, I can choose between (example) ILS26R or just 26R.

What is the difference? They both use a STAR, ILS guidance, etc.

I can see that one plans the go around stuff for you, and the other allows you to enter a runway extension.

They both go to the same place, so what's the difference, and how do I know which one to use?

Thanks.

LTU932

RE: Difference Between ILS And Runway

Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:28 pm

Quoting ChewingPlastic (Thread starter):
On the FMC, when choosing the Arrival route, I can choose between (example) ILS26R or just 26R.

If it says ILS26R, it means that there is an ILS available for that runway. If it just says 26R, it most likely means there is no precision approach available, which means the approach is a visual. Sometimes it will say ILS/DME, which means there's also a DME available for the ILS.

Other approaches you might find available in an FMC for a specific airport can be VOR/DME, NDB/DME or RNAV approaches to name a few. Just remember the basic thing: if before the runway number it says ILS or VOR, etc., when choosing an arrival, it means there is a precision approach available. However, while you may have a runway available to select, it doesn't immediately mean you have a certain arrival available, at least not in FS, so you might have to set in that case a Runway extension, which will set a fix at a distance from the Runway of your choosing. Check your FMC's manual for that.

If you need arrival and departure procedures, you can go to http://www.navdata.at

Mir

RE: Difference Between ILS And Runway

Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:33 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 1):
If it says ILS26R, it means that there is an ILS available for that runway. If it just says 26R, it most likely means there is no precision approach available, which means the approach is a visual.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 1):
Just remember the basic thing: if before the runway number it says ILS or VOR, etc., when choosing an arrival, it means there is a precision approach available.

Both of these statements are incorrect. The absence of an ILS does not mean that the approach must be visual - there could be a non-precision approach to the runway. Likewise, a VOR is not a precision approach - only an ILS, PAR or MLS is (and you won't find PARs or MLSs in FS). VOR, NDB, LDA and GPS (RNAV) approaches (and some other minor ones) are non-precision approaches - they provide lateral but not vertical guidance. Precision approaches provide both.

Quoting ChewingPlastic (Thread starter):

The important question here is what kind of FMC you're using. The FMC on the PSS Airbus will show ILS only, but the FMC in the PMDG 737 will show ILS, VOR, RNAV, etc. How you enter data really does depend on the type of FMC.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day