LAXspotter
Topic Author

Personality Of Airplanes! Am I Crazy?

Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:29 am

I m quite sure most of us on Anet are a little unusual as compared to "Average People". I know I am a little unusual but recently one of my aviation buddies told me that i was crazy because I said the MD-80 (the Mad Dog) had a personality just like a human. I told him the plane looked "angry" from certain angles and I also told him that one of the planes taking off looked like it was looking forward to its task of crossing the Pacific. Am i crazy? or am i just the average anetter which an obsession for aviation?
Thanks
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

Thom@s

RE: Personality Of Airplanes! Am I Crazy?

Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:29 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Thread starter):
Am i crazy?

Yes, so when two friendly men in white coats knock on your door and offer you a nice long sleeved jumper, invite them in.

Thom@s  Wink
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

jamesbuk

Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:54 am

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 1):

And dont squirm when they try to inject you with "Funny juice"  silly 

Some people do say some aircraft have certain expressions like i think someone said the Md11 either looks angry or happy (cant remember which)

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

Longhornmaniac

Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:56 am

It's funny you mention this, because when I was younger, I was obsessed with the black nose on the widget scheme.

I thought the MD-88 had a sort of proud complexion, as did the 767. I thought just about every 727 looked angry, and the 747 looked like it was scoffing. I had no life.  Silly

Cheers and Hook'em Horns!
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

futureuapilot

Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:08 am

From a flying stand point I can see how planes have Personalities. Where I am training we have two C-172's, both of which have distinct sets of things they like to do and not do.

-Sam
The Pilot is the highest form of life on Earth!

Ps76

Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:49 am

If it's crazy then I'm pretty sure I'm it too!

I think the 737-500 is the most cute airplane - a little like the "cute"-type girls my heart always falls for (unsuccessfully)!!

Pierre

[Edited 2007-02-05 02:16:51]

ZKSUJ

Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:02 am

744 in general. A very reliable aircraft who has pretty much always been there. It stands through the times with elegance and grace regardless of competition.

Thats a personality trait right?

CVGpilot

Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:24 am

Quoting FutureUApilot (Reply 4):
From a flying stand point I can see how planes have Personalities. Where I am training we have two C-172's, both of which have distinct sets of things they like to do and not do.

Thats funny, when I look at the C-172n from 76 I see stubborn ass, and trust me there is no reflection in the paint or anything.
Globally Yours

Cessna057

Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:49 am

Quoting CVGpilot (Reply 7):
Thats funny, when I look at the C-172n from 76 I see stubborn ass, and trust me there is no reflection in the paint or anything.

Agreed. Hate those little things...
Hold it . . . Hold it . . . HOLD THE FREAKIN NOSE UP!!

Qantas767

Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:00 pm

The PSA jets always looked happy with that big smile on the front...
IF IT DON'T HOVER - DON'T BOTHER

Thom@s

Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:09 pm

Well, I suppose some aircraft appear to have personalities...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Aaron Skinner
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © MogensJ

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

N6801

Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:35 am

When I used to stand by the approach lights at YYZ as a kid, I used to think the DC-8's and 707's were quite ominous looking in the distance on approach. That slowly growing, menacing black cloud of smoke with a tiny sliver of metal with lights in the middle of it was sort of scary to a kid standing next to the runway. But in a cool way, of course.

Especially when they would start slowly dipping their wings downward one at a time, flying almost sideways at times to line up for the runway. They looked like they were moving in the kill!

The subtle howl of the DC-8-63 engines on roll-out kind of gave me goose flesh as well, come to think of it.

Needless to say, the DC-8-63 ended up becoming my all-time favourite jet.

Burkhard

Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:27 pm

Every complex system ( as example every molecule with 3 or more atoms ) has normal states and the potential to switch into states which the chaos thory tries to explain, but at least do not seem to follow the simple rules we expect it to follow.

When we have any form of interaction between two complex system, the same applies. Let us take a human and an aircraft. This interaction can follow simple rules of mechanics - or have non linear effects on either side. The one on our side we get aware off more easily.

You aren't crazy. People who tell you everything in life is linear mechanics havn't arrived in the 20th century yet, so a long way to go.

The process of seeing ( hearing, smelling the same ) is a very complex progress. From the light producing little electricity in the eye cells to "this is a 747", several processing stages take place. What is important is that these processes are all complex biochemical ones, and each depends on what has been processed before ( which receptors are blocked, which are active, ...) -which explains why several people who look at the same situation see different things. So if you see a personnality in a MD80, than there is one. Because you have experienced it beforehand. If your friend wasn't given this experience, you have to accept he does not see the same. This is normal, this is how life works.

CVGpilot

Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:11 am

Quoting Burkhard (Reply 12):
Every complex system ( as example every molecule with 3 or more atoms ) has normal states and the potential to switch into states which the chaos thory tries to explain, but at least do not seem to follow the simple rules we expect it to follow.

When we have any form of interaction between two complex system, the same applies. Let us take a human and an aircraft. This interaction can follow simple rules of mechanics - or have non linear effects on either side. The one on our side we get aware off more easily.

You aren't crazy. People who tell you everything in life is linear mechanics havn't arrived in the 20th century yet, so a long way to go.

The process of seeing ( hearing, smelling the same ) is a very complex progress. From the light producing little electricity in the eye cells to "this is a 747", several processing stages take place. What is important is that these processes are all complex biochemical ones, and each depends on what has been processed before ( which receptors are blocked, which are active, ...) -which explains why several people who look at the same situation see different things. So if you see a personnality in a MD80, than there is one. Because you have experienced it beforehand. If your friend wasn't given this experience, you have to accept he does not see the same. This is normal, this is how life works.

DEEP!
 fluffy 
Globally Yours

EMA747

Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:55 am

When a plane goes down, I'm thinking Concorde here, then we as aviation lovers probably get sad over both the people killed and the plane itself getting "killed". Also when a plane is broken up I kind of feel it is not just a machine being destroyed, if you know what I mean? Surely if you think and feel like this it means that subconciously you see the plane as more than just metal and stuff.
Failing doesn’t make you a failure. Giving up and refusing to try again does!

gift4tbone

Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:31 pm

I agree...I was saddened the day I worked a DL 732 for the last time, the next morning it worked a flight to ATL before heading to the desert. I miss that thing.

N311DL was my favorite, as it was the first 732 I worked.

-Tony@PVD
Top 3 airports: PVD 23.9%(138 flights), PHL 14.7%(85 flights), PHX 10.2%(59 flights)

oli80

Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:32 am

Well the 757 has some lovely legs.  Wink One of my favourite aircraft.