ANITIX87
Topic Author

Live ATC Archives

Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:04 am

Hey, guys.

I was flying GVA-JFK on Saturday March 10, and we had an aborted approach. We were on approach to land on 22L, and I was wondering which JFK frequency I should search on liveatc.net in order to hear that exchange between the aircraft and the controller. The pilot told us we aborted because of traffic, but we were still 2000 feet up or so and 6 nautical miles from the airport.

Thanks for your help!

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

PILOTALLEN

RE: Live ATC Archives

Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:37 am

well if it was while approaching the airport I would try the approach freqs, but if you were in final or established in the approach then do tower, usually (at least when i have aborted) the tower hands me off to the dep/app controller so you might want to try both anyways. hope that helps./ -Josh
Thats not flying, thats falling with style -Woody

Mir

Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:36 pm

Try both the tower and the ROBER frequencies (I think ROBER is 125.70, but don't hold me to that).

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

InnocuousFox

Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:58 pm

2000' and 6 miles out should have been tower, I would think.
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

ANITIX87
Topic Author

Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:57 am

Thanks for the advice guys. There are, however, two Tower feeds on Liveatc, and I don't want to spend all my time listening to feeds, as I've got a ton of work to do. Does one of the tower frequencies control two runways and the other control the other two?

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

ANITIX87
Topic Author

Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:40 am

Nevermind. I found it, on ROBER. We were told to cancel approach because the flight in front of us (EOS flight from England) was below the speed he was supposed to be and we were going to come too close. So he cleared us for 3000 and heading 200, and then brought us back around for 22L. We were 6 miles out, at 2200 feet, and final approach speed when he told us to abort.

TIS

DeltaAVL

Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:25 am

While we're on the topic of LiveATC here, does anyone know how to listen to a single radio frequency on LiveATC.net? The scanning of about 5 different frequencies gets a little annoying and it would be great to just listen to one.
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

Mir

Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:02 am

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 6):
While we're on the topic of LiveATC here, does anyone know how to listen to a single radio frequency on LiveATC.net? The scanning of about 5 different frequencies gets a little annoying and it would be great to just listen to one.

The scanning is a compromise, since you have a limited number of recievers and lots of frequencies. The only thing I can tell you is to look for a feed that only monitors one frequency.

-Mir

DeltaAVL

Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:22 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 7):
The scanning is a compromise, since you have a limited number of receivers and lots of frequencies. The only thing I can tell you is to look for a feed that only monitors one frequency.

OK, thanks. But what about this JFK Ground recording in this thread? It sounds like it's only on one frequency, as there's no scanning involved. And it's hosted on LiveATC.net as well, which doesn't have a separate "ground only" receiver. Any ideas?
"We break, We bend, With hand in hand, When hope is gone, Just hang on." -Guster

Mir

Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:12 am

Quoting DeltaAVL (Reply 8):
But what about this JFK Ground recording in this thread? It sounds like it's only on one frequency, as there's no scanning involved. And it's hosted on LiveATC.net as well, which doesn't have a separate "ground only" receiver. Any ideas?

In the LiveATC.net forums, most clips that are posted (i.e. ones in reference to a particular event) will be edited to take out the dead air and irrelevant transmissions (which would include different frequencies). You'll notice that this clip was only about 10 minutes long, one-third the length of the regular archive tapes. So I'd guess that it was edited, though I couldn't say for sure.

You will notice that about two and a half minutes in somebody calls clearance, and there are perceptible instances where things get a little cut off.

-Mir

DeltaAVL

Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:49 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 9):
In the LiveATC.net forums, most clips that are posted (i.e. ones in reference to a particular event) will be edited to take out the dead air and irrelevant transmissions (which would include different frequencies). You'll notice that this clip was only about 10 minutes long, one-third the length of the regular archive tapes. So I'd guess that it was edited, though I couldn't say for sure.

You will notice that about two and a half minutes in somebody calls clearance, and there are perceptible instances where things get a little cut off.

Ah, thank you. I didn't know people edited those. I'll have to check out that forum.