aarbee

Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy Center - Approximate Time

Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:51 am

Greetings.

Approximately how much time will be required to visit the this museum? I know it closes at around 5:30 PM. So is the entry closed at 5:30 or the center itself.

Also if the objective is to just check out Concorde and Enterprise is 2 hrs. enough?

TIA for replies.

R
Love the AIXes

PILOTALLEN

RE: Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy Center - Approximate Time

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:01 am

I went there a few years ago when it first opened and it took me around 2 and half hours to walk through everything, I spent some time reading things and just taking photos. I'de say giv eyourself 3 hours and be there right when the open. The tower is fun to go up into as well but I enjoyed just chilling outside on the benches watching the heaving land. -Josh
Thats not flying, thats falling with style -Woody

aarbee

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:16 am

PILOTALLEN

Thanks for your response. So If I go at 2:30PM, it will be enough till the close of museum?

Also, sorry but what tower. After U mentioned I checked it's website and there's a pic of a tower. Is this an observation tower? Any idea on how long are the lines to go up?

Thanks,

R
Love the AIXes

CV990A

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:33 am

Aarbee-
It is an observation tower, but the lines can be terrible if you aren't there early in the morning. I've blown through the entire museum in 90 min, and I've also spent half a day there. Getting there at 2:30 will give you plenty of time to see Concorde and the Space Shuttle though.
Kittens Give Morbo Gas

PILOTALLEN

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:45 am

yeah the tower is cool but you must be there early to have a prayer if going in it, I ended up going early am and then went again in the middle of the day and what a difference it made, but if you dont care about the tower you'll do ok going at 230
Thats not flying, thats falling with style -Woody

Sinlock

Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:15 pm

3 hours is pretty good if it's your first time there.....unless your like me and have to read EVERY word on every display. (Drives the wife crazy)

Keep one thing in mind if you plan to take photos. The museum in many spots can be very dark even if it's a sunny day and requires a steady hand and a long exposure. (NO tri/monopods allowed)

aarbee

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:48 am

Quoting PILOTALLEN (Reply 4):
yeah the tower is cool but you must be there early to have a prayer if going in it, I ended up going early am and then went again in the middle of the day and what a difference it made, but if you dont care about the tower you'll do ok going at 230

Oh! Well. will have to skip then.  Sad (the tower). Time constraint is bad.

Quoting Sinlock (Reply 5):
Keep one thing in mind if you plan to take photos. The museum in many spots can be very dark even if it's a sunny day and requires a steady hand and a long exposure. (NO tri/monopods allowed)

No flash?
Love the AIXes

Sinlock

Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:25 am

You can use a flash equipeted camera. But a camera based flash is pretty much useless beyond 15-20 feet.

CcrlR

Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:30 pm

You can try going early for the tower since sometimes it can get crowded. Once I went there in the morning and there was no line. Now the elevator was not working when they opened up, and was working an hour later (that was when we got there about an hour after opening), but it is nice. There is a nice advantage point from there but there is a tint over the glass which makes picture taking a little different (you can tell from the outside that the tint is there). If it was not for the tint, then it would be a good place to take photos. Now you can see the airport and most of the area, it is a nice viewing tower and they have some nice exhibits on how ATC works and the other floors have exhibits too. It's a nice hangout and if you don't want to see the exhibits, just go outside and see the planes land on 1R.
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

Boeinglover24

RE: Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy Center - Approximate Ti

Tue May 01, 2007 4:41 am

i think 2-3 hours is enough if you just glance at stuff and not really go into detail.....
I live 20 minutes south and I can say that sadly it's mostly empty when I go over there, [all my visits were weekdays], just a lot of kids on field trips[don't know about the weekends] you can even moon the air france concorde they got there that's how empty it was..: (
The tower is pretty far out the approach path, you're better off parking near the trees and watch the heavies land there..
No luck spotting when they're using the 19's pretty high out when they reach the museum parknig lot, i recommend taking the airport shuttle to the parking garages at dulles if that's the case....
And lots of nifty stuff at the store museum, way way way way way overpriced though : (
Uhhh What?

KaiGywer
Crew

Sat May 12, 2007 2:36 am

Quoting Sinlock (Reply 5):
The museum in many spots can be very dark even if it's a sunny day and requires a steady hand and a long exposure

Tell me about it  Sad Most my pics did not work out.

Quoting Boeinglover24 (Reply 9):
[don't know about the weekends]

I was there on a Sunday in November, and it was fairly empty.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an