nickbbu

Guilt Or Not For Grabbing A Safety Card?

Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:20 am

I just like to collect everything possible when it comes to the flight experience, and that's usually a boarding pass and a napkin with the airline's logo. But I never thought of grabbing a safety card, even though I know there are many who are doing just that.
It might seem weird, but I feel guilty to do that, so I would probably never do it in the future. It's a nice collectible item, I know, but the safety card is there for the passengers' safety, not for our passion to collect things.
I know that those safety cards can be easily replaced, but even so... the guilt (bearable though, to a certain extent) of steeling something wouldn't give my any nice thoughts about myself, as a person.

Do you feel in any particular way when you grab that safety card?

Nick
Romanian Spotters Forum Administrator

A320ajm

RE: Guilt Or Not For Grabbing A Safety Card?

Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:47 am

I have a collection of safety cards - my favourite one is my concorde safety card. I haven't personally took one of a plne but bought them of E-Bay. About taking them - i don't think there is any need to have guilt - after all, it's a piece of card and to be fair not many passengers read them anyway.
Thanks
A320ajm
If the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'

jamesjimlb

Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:46 am

hi, you shouldn't fell guilt. i take them all the time and its not really stealing becuase a F/A saw me take one and a bunch of the flights stuff.
The sky is no longer the limit, but the mere minimum

nickbbu

Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:03 am

I kind of overreacted in the first place (with the stealing part), just to get positive replies, so I can start collecting them as well.
Thanks a lot!

Quoting JamesJimlb (Reply 2):
... a F/A saw me take one and a bunch of the flights stuff.

What other stuff? ?

Nick

[Edited 2007-06-14 23:04:43]

PILOTALLEN

Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:58 am

I used to work for a company that dealt with airline ramp ops while in college and usually the front overhead bin has extra pillows, blankets and safety cards...I haven't felt much guilt but then again I usually get stuck on the same plane and dont bother taking on....thats what ebay is for!
Thats not flying, thats falling with style -Woody

jamesjimlb

Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:21 am

Quoting Nickbbu (Reply 3):

What other stuff? ?

skymail, boarding cards, i try to get some "suvinirs" i'll take almost anything that i am allowed to take. but suprisingly on most flights i just forget to take that stuff.
The sky is no longer the limit, but the mere minimum

jamesbaldwyn

Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:43 pm

Quoting A320ajm (Reply 1):
after all, it's a piece of card and to be fair not many passengers read them anyway.

So I can take the lifejacket because they never get used.

Delboy

Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:36 pm

This has been done to death recently, let's use the search facility in future.

pilotdude09

Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:37 pm

Quoting Jamesbaldwyn (Reply 6):
So I can take the lifejacket because they never get used.

Well if you hit the water the chances of surviving in an aircraft with under wing engines isnt that high  Wink
Qantas, Still calling Australia Home.........

airmaillabel

Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:01 am

I collect safety cards of Turkish Airlines and I buy them from sources like eBay because I don't like to steal either, but everything is not available in eBay. So I wrote an e-mail to their customer relations department and explained that I don't steal from the aircraft but I want to complete my collection and they sent me a full set of safety cards. Very sweet of them  Smile

I recommend you to do the same. If it doesn't work, ask the flight attendant for a card at the beginning of the flight. If they don't give you either, then you can take the card between your courtesy copy of the flight magazine without feeling guilt

Silly

VC-10

Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:34 am

No matter how you justify it to yourself, taking them is THEFT.

Quoting A320ajm (Reply 1):
i don't think there is any need to have guilt - after all, it's a piece of card

So presumably you think the company that prints them gives them to the airlines for free.

If I am invited to your house, see your collection of safety cards and take them, I assume that that wouldn't be considered as theft?

ZBBYLW

Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:30 am

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 10):
No matter how you justify it to yourself, taking them is THEFT.

Agree 100%. I can not stand when people steal the safety cards. What they do not know is that every card they take cost the airline money. What happens if the ground crew does not replace one in one seat, and a Transport Canada (Applicable country authority) employee sits down, notices this and fines the airline. I have taken safety cards in my day. 5, all from the same flight, the last AC 744 flight ever, and though I could justify that. Other then that I will not steal for an airline.
Keep the shinny side up!

flinhion757

Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:29 am

Dude I know someone that is a flight attendant for WN and they could care less alert  That is actually thr least of their worries. I take em when I don't sleep until everyone is off the plane.
319,320,332,732,733,735,737,738,744,752,763,CR7,CR9,E135,E140,E145,E175,MD82

VC-10

Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:34 pm

Quoting Flinhion757 (Reply 12):
Dude I know someone that is a flight attendant for WN and they could care less

(So the FA does care to some degree then Smile . In UK English it is couldn't care less. I am not having a pop at you personally because it a US thing to say it your way, even if it doesn't convey what you mean it to say!)

Dude, what has that got to do with it? If you take something that isn't yours, it is THEFT, plain and simple.

I say again, if I take your collection of cards while visiting your house presumably you wouldn't consider it as theft.

nickbbu

Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:04 pm

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 13):
I say again, if I take your collection of cards while visiting your house presumably you wouldn't consider it as theft.

Not really, because he would actually care a lot!  box   Wink

I thought this topic would be tricky, since it's a question of different points of view... For some it's not stealing, for others it is... It would be interesting to have a legal opinion on this matter, coming from a lawyer, judge etc...

Nick

VC-10

Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:21 pm

Quoting Nickbbu (Reply 14):
It would be interesting to have a legal opinion on this matter, coming from a lawyer, judge etc...

Why does it need a legal opinion?

1. The cards are clearly marked with the legend "DO NOT REMOVE FROM AIRCRAFT"

2. You do not buy the right to take one when you buy a ticket

3. The crew are not empowered to give them away

4. They are bought and paid for the the aircraft operator

How much clearer does it need to be?

If someone takes something of mine that I own, without my permission, they have stolen it from me.

nickbbu

Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:00 pm

Alright then, it's settled, getting that safety card is called stealing!

But now, can individuals overcome the sense of guilt that comes with the stealing? I suppose many do, since they gathered some nice collections.

IMO, I stick to my original opinion, so I would never get any safety cards.

Nick

ClassicLover

Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:31 pm

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 11):
Agree 100%. I can not stand when people steal the safety cards. What they do not know is that every card they take cost the airline money. What happens if the ground crew does not replace one in one seat, and a Transport Canada (Applicable country authority) employee sits down, notices this and fines the airline. I have taken safety cards in my day. 5, all from the same flight, the last AC 744 flight ever, and though I could justify that. Other then that I will not steal for an airline.

"I don't agree with it at all, but I've done it myself".

Nice justification - "but it was the last AC 744 flight ever" - and so?
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

nickbbu

Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:00 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 17):
"I don't agree with it at all, but I've done it myself".

Nice justification - "but it was the last AC 744 flight ever" - and so?

Quite logical...
So nobody is going to miss those safety cards from that flight anymore!

bond007

Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:23 am

ince it's a question of different points of view...

Well those with the point of view that it's OK are simply wrong ... and that's not my opinion.

...and basically who cares whether the F/A thinks it OK ... again, if he/she (and I mean he or she  Wink) thinks it's OK, then he/she is also wrong.

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 13):
Quoting Flinhion757 (Reply 12):
Dude I know someone that is a flight attendant for WN and they could care less

(So the FA does care to some degree then . In UK English it is couldn't care less. I am not having a pop at you personally because it a US thing to say it your way, even if it doesn't convey what you mean it to say!)

I never quite understood the US term??

"I could care less" means you must actually care some, since you could care less right??? Not what you really mean.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

toltommy

Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:38 am

I don't know about foreign airlines, but here in the states each seat must have a card. Yes, there are extras on board. But how many? How do you know that your action isn't going to cause a flight cancellation on the next leg? It's marked "DO NOT REMOVE" for a reason.

flinhion757

Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:51 am

Quoting VC-10 (Reply 15):
Why does it need a legal opinion?

because it a US thing to say it your way, even if it doesn't convey what you mean it to say!)

So there is someone that is a crew that likes to run the forum... your to moderate and the rules apply to you too if you wish to use the forum... You don't have and right to run someone elses forum either. As a moderator you need to monitor and report something that is not right. If this message means losing my a.net account then so be it. It needs a legal opinion because its someones opinion and because someone could give legal opinion if they please. Oh and ITS a US thing to stand our ground and use proper English!
319,320,332,732,733,735,737,738,744,752,763,CR7,CR9,E135,E140,E145,E175,MD82

nickbbu

Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:15 am

Quoting Flinhion757 (Reply 21):
because it a US thing to say it your way, even if it doesn't convey what you mean it to say!)

So there is someone that is a crew that likes to run the forum... your to moderate and the rules apply to you too if you wish to use the forum... You don't have and right to run someone elses forum either. As a moderator you need to monitor and report something that is not right. If this message means losing my a.net account then so be it. It needs a legal opinion because its someones opinion and because someone could give legal opinion if they please. Oh and ITS a US thing to stand our ground and use proper English!

Dude, what's your problem? I never wrote what you quoted!

Nick

bond007

Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:17 am

Something tells me you completely misinterpreted what was said !!!!

..... and as I mentioned, it clearly doesn't convey what we mean, when we say "could care less", because we clearly mean we could NOT care less... whether you like it or not.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

EL-AL

Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:40 am

Quoting Nickbbu (Thread starter):
It might seem weird, but I feel guilty to do that

I Have the perfect solution to everyone: just ask the F/A.

Whenever I fly I ask the F/A for some cards. The lasy of them just tell me to take what's on my seat while other go the the back and bring me some new cards from the spare. I collect cards for 6 years now (1258 cards) and no airline on board any jet has ever refused.
every day is a good day to fly

OB1504

Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:52 pm

The solution: Make the safety card a permanent part of the seat like on Ryanair! Granted, we may have people stealing seats...  duck 

I think it's wrong to steal a safety card from a seat (for the reasons mentioned above), but if you ask a crew member and they give you a spare, that's quite alright. Some could construe it as theft, but at least it's an extra.

swiftski

Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:03 pm

It needs a legal opinion because its someones opinion and because someone could give legal opinion if they please

That sentence makes this one obsolete.

Oh and ITS a US thing to stand our ground and use proper English!

Delboy

Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:59 pm

I think it's wrong to steal a safety card from a seat (for the reasons mentioned above), but if you ask a crew member and they give you a spare, that's quite alright.

There's the answer then, let's stop wasting band width debating this any further, as I've said previously, it's been done to death if anyone could be bothered to do a search!

S5FA170

Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:57 pm

Quoting Airmaillabel (Reply 9):
I recommend you to do the same. If it doesn't work, ask the flight attendant for a card at the beginning of the flight. If they don't give you either, then you can take the card between your courtesy copy of the flight magazine without feeling guilt

I don't recommend taking the safety card if the flight attendant doesn't give you a spare one.

1) We're not required to pass out safety cards for people to take off the aircraft - so don't get upset with us if we don't.

2) If you steal the one in your seatback pocket and the aircraft gets to an outstation and has no spares onboard, we now have a problem. If their are 86 seats on the aircraft and only 85 safety cards, we can now only carry 85 passengers back to the hub. Wouldn't it be horrible if you were the one passenger left behind on a full flight because the person sitting in your seat on the way in stole the safety card?
Prepare doors for departure and cross-check.

CanadianNorth

Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:36 am

It's not THAT bad, but as a groomer it is easier if they are all left on the plane, as that's my counting method. Basically when we groom the 737s any seatpacks that are missing stuff get taken back to the hangar, whatever is left in them gets sorted and put away, and then new ones are grabbed from below and put on the plane. When I do it what I do is I count the safety cards as I put them away, and thats how many new packs I grab on my way back to the jet...

CanadianNorth
Way to go, nice and slow, never late, 748!

United_fan

Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:08 am

I only took 1 safety card from a UA 727. Afterwards I felt like crap for doing it . I know the f/a's have to check every seatback for safety cards before every flight. I also heard if you want a safety card,you can ask a f/a for one.
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

BR715-A1-30

Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:33 am

VC-10, I always ask the crew for a safety card... Well, not so much anymore, as I really don't collect them anymore like I used to.. But if I take one from the seat pocket, most stations that do layovers have plenty more. Nobody really ever cares. Hell, Airline executives have sent them to me before. I have gotten some from the CEO of a major airline. Now that I'm older, I really don't collect them, but if I see one that I don't have, and it interests me, I'll get one.. one way or another.
Puhdiddle

Alessandro

Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:36 am

Depends on their service, good I don´t take any, crappy I take a few.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

bruin787

Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:30 pm

i did the next best thing, i took a picture of it.  Big grin

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f269/janus020/daf72d82.jpg
http://taxiwayalpha.blogspot.com

metroliner

Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:33 am

Quoting Bruin787 (Reply 33):
i did the next best thing, i took a picture of it.

Morals or no, that would so be in my work folder by now Big grin !

I have always asked and been given one. On a Cirrus Air Dash 8-102, I asked the flight attendant if I might take one. She agreed, and when I asked if perhaps there was any chance I might have another (I'd been getting two of each copy to stick on my walls!) she said that if it was down to her, she would, but that she feared they might not have any spare.

I was second to last getting off that Dash, and I thanked her very nicely. Three minutes later the woman behind me ran up, tapped me on the shoulder and said 'the flight attendant said to give you this'! And there it was. My second, pristine, unused safety card... What a sweetie!

Sometimes, all it takes is a smile...  Smile

Toni
Set the controls for the heart of the Sun

BWilliams

Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:57 pm

Quoting Metroliner (Reply 34):
Morals or no, that would so be in my work folder by now

Hehe.. I agree. I don't collect cards, but I'd make an exception for the Whalejet.  Smile
Regards, Brad Williams

staralliance38

Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:21 am

I don't think you should take safety cards from planes. I am doing a project that I have a lot of contacts with airlines (mostly Star Alliance). One of the first airlines I wrote was Spanair and I asked if I could have a safety card. They sent me a card from a retired B767

Big version: Width: 3072 Height: 2304 File size: 1725kb

I think if you want safety cards, you should contact the airline and ask
Roar, lion, roar

EL-AL

Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:19 pm

Quoting StarAlliance38 (Reply 36):
I think if you want safety cards, you should contact the airline and ask

Been there, done that. Most of the airlines just ignore you. Only a small part reply, even less acctually send you cards.
every day is a good day to fly

DL763

Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:27 am

I don't really have that much guilt since some of the other seats do have the cards too.
I just replied on another post that I just take them and then put them in my carry on bag!!
DL763

[Edited 2008-02-16 21:29:20]
If you want to take risks try aviation!

trekster

Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:21 pm

I have only ever taken 2 cards, a 737 and a 747, and always asked the crew before hand.

Dan
Where does the time go???

ag92

Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:18 pm

I always thought if you ask the F/A and if (s)he says yes, than you can otherwise it is STEALING

ALexeu

Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:35 pm

I usually try to take it away, even though I feal some sort of guilt...

What about sick bags? Hey, they are designed to be destructed. I don't feel guilt when I take them away.

apuneger

Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:01 pm

I used to take one occasionally in the past, but now I have stopped. When I flew Australian Airlines CNS-HKG shortly before they were absorbed by Qantas operations, I asked the crew and they said 'no'.

A couple of weeks later I wrote a letter to Australian Airlines, and a while after I received a huge package from Australia with postcards, safety cards,...(they probably needed to get rid of them asap)....

Best regards,
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

soon7x7

Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:49 pm

Quoting Nickbbu (Thread starter):

End your guilt, explain to FA your hobby, offer to buy one...she'll (or he) will gladly give it to you...works with trays and flatware...oh yeh...don't forget to give em those "puppy eyes"!!!!...j

FlyASAGuy2005

Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:27 pm

Quoting Soon7x7 (Reply 43):
End your guilt, explain to FA your hobby, offer to buy one...she'll (or he) will gladly give it to you...works with trays and flatware...oh yeh...don't forget to give em those "puppy eyes"!!!!...j

Ouch. It was always this running joke at our house that when guest come over for dinner, the forks and spoons would say Continental on the back of them...
What gets measured gets done.

soon7x7

Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:57 pm

My work desk consists of Lufthansa stainless flatware set, Lufthansa serving tray and other assorted goodies but despite my prevoius suggestion...items were purchased on ebay.de and shipped to US...

My most proud item is a limited edition TWA Wine glass, inaugural flight from JFK to Paris...April 1970 on 747. I heard that only 200 of these were produced.

Jawed

Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:29 pm

I met someone once who actually took a life vest from under the seat as a souvenir Should he feel bad about that? Isn't that like a federal offense or something? heh. oops.

[Edited 2008-03-11 14:38:27]

UltimateDelta

Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:54 pm

I would say don't do it. there's a website, though, called www.safeair.com. They mass produce them for the airlines, so you might be able to get some from there.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

ALexeu

Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:56 pm

Quoting Jawed (Reply 46):
I met someone once who actually took a life vest from under the seat as a souvenir Should he feel bad about that? Isn't that like a federal offense or something? heh. oops.

Well, that is something to feel guilt about !!

I would rather take safety card from my seat, then ask f/a, because I would feel embarassed if they rejected me.