Fly2HMO

What To Back Up In FS For Reformat?

Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:09 pm

So I'm planning on reformatting my computer. Good news is that I have FS9 on its own separate HD, C: is the one getting reformatted, D: is where FS9 is.

I know c: is where the FS9.cfg file is (definitely backing that whole folder up!), but I don't know where are all the registry keys, since they seem to be spread all over. I also have tons of payware and add-ons, of which many have stuff on c:, thhe only ones im really interested in saving though are my PMDG planes.

Anyways, as far as FS9 itself is concerned (not so much the add-ons), what should I back up in C:? And which reg keys?

Thx in advance  wave 

ajd1992

RE: What To Back Up In FS For Reformat?

Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:23 am

Just back up your Aircraft, and scenery folder (if you have any added scenery). With payware, you will need to reinstall. If you have FSPassengers, back up the .DLL files inside the "Database" folder (On my PC, this is at D:FS2004FsPassengersDatabase).

That's about it.

jamesbaldwyn

Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:30 am

Also you're gauges, its one thing having the models but its useless without the gauges  Wink

clewatcher

Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:08 am

this is what i did for FSX, you could do the same for FS9 im sure, i save entire aircraft folders, only the ones i have edited to have more paints/skins for the planes.
-Raymond

mika

Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:11 pm

Aircraft, Sound, Scenery, Addon Scenery, Gauges, Modules, and the folder where all the AI traffic files are located (cant remember it's name) are the folders i keep when i reformat my computer. Just install FS on the fresh drive and throw all those folders back in there and it should be as it was before formatting.

northstardc4m

Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:35 pm

best way to do this:

Rename FS folder
Format drive
Install FS to original folder location
Delete new FS folder on D, restore original folder back

Optional, but not recommended:
Backup Fs9.cfg and restore
not recommended because it really should be allowed to rebuilt itself, but then of course you have to remap all keys, etc.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.