GAIsweetGAI
Topic Author

Switching Runway Direction, How Does It Work?

Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:00 pm

I just had a random (and practically useless) question about Flight Sim:

Say you're at an airport with a runway 1/19 (to simplify, I'll consider any other runways as closed). The wind is 030@13 (the speed doesn't matter, just the direction). The runway in use is runway 1.
Then the wind gradually changes to 150@15. All operations have to (or at least should) switch to runway 19.

My question is, how does this transition happen? At a relatively calm airport, I suppose it can happen easily when no one is using the runway; but what about busier airports? Are the A/C told to taxi to the "new" runway and just stay there until the A/C using the "old" runway are done?

Any insight, speculation, theory or rumor appreciated.  Smile
"There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

LASoctoberB6

RE: Switching Runway Direction, How Does It Work?

Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:20 pm

Quoting GAIsweetGAI (Thread starter):
My question is, how does this transition happen? At a relatively calm airport, I suppose it can happen easily when no one is using the runway; but what about busier airports? Are the A/C told to taxi to the "new" runway and just stay there until the A/C using the "old" runway are done?

they will takeoff the "new" runway while the a/c using the "old" runway are still in motion...
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

futurecaptain

Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:01 pm

And if any aircraft are in the pattern they will either turn around in the air or will land on the wrong side, taxi off the runway, and taxi to the correct side for takeoff.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

LASoctoberB6

Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:58 am

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 2):
And if any aircraft are in the pattern they will either turn around in the air or will land on the wrong side, taxi off the runway, and taxi to the correct side for takeoff.

really? ive never seen them to do that..

jetmatt777
Crew

Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:00 am

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 3):
really? ive never seen them to do that..

this is flight sim, I guess once 'ATC' assigns the runway, it can't be changed. Just a guess.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

LASoctoberB6

Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:29 pm

Quoting Jetmatt777 (Reply 4):
this is flight sim, I guess once 'ATC' assigns the runway, it can't be changed. Just a guess.

true...

Ned Kelly

Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:52 pm

From spending endless hours hours playing FS this is what I have observed;

When you load up FS and go to an airport the runway in use will be determined by the wind direction (obviously!),

As long as there is an aircraft on approach or an aircraft taxiing for take off FS will continue to use that runway, even if the wind direction changes 180 degrees. At busy airports (LHR, ATL etc.) the runway in use is unlikely to change as there is usually always an aircraft on approach or taxiing for take off (I am talking about AI aircraft here).

At smaller less busy airports you are likely to see a runway direction change if the wind changes direction as there is more likely to be a gap in traffic.