Mudboy
Topic Author

Books Of Airports

Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:40 am

I have started getting mags like, Airliners, Airways and Aircraft and was wondering, are there any books with pictures and layouts of commercial airports? If so, where can I purchase them online? Or was there ever any issues of mags that had airports in them, and where could I find them? Any help would be appreciated!

aviateur

RE: Books Of Airports

Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:32 am

I would highly recommend a book called "Building For Air Travel," by John Zukowsky. It's published by the Art Institute of Chicago, and I believe you can purchase on Amazon. It's easily the best book I've ever owned about airport history/architecture/layout.

- Patrick Smith
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

jsnww81

Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:50 pm

Airports of the World is a great magazine published by Key Publishing, who also put out Airliner World. It comes out every two months and profiles a nice cross-section of airports around the world (as the name implies.) You can subscribe via their website with a credit card - that's what I did.

"Building for Air Travel" is also a great book, although a little pricey. Another worth looking into is John Stroud's legendary "Airports of the World", which was published in 1979 but is still my Bible for all things airport-related. It's interesting to leaf through it now and see how very different things are. It pops up on eBay every now and then.

Tom in NO

Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:01 pm

As mentioned above, John Stroud's book is a classic...I scooped a copy off Ebay a couple of years back. As an aside, I recall reading within the past couple of weeks that Stroud had recently passed away.

For US airport layout-type directories, two online places I can think of for starters: Sportys.com (pilot shop), and the AOPA's website.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

SkyyMaster

Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:08 am

If you're looking for books with overall aiport layouts (terminals, runways, etc. - BuchAirPorts used to put out a pretty comprehensive guide. Much of it is for spotters, but they have quite a few airport overviews as well. I do not know if it is still published, I'm sure older copies are available on eBay.