BAE146QT

Nearly There. Just Another Month Or Three...

Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:43 pm

Hope you don't mind me sharing this with you here.

Fed up with assembling plastic kits, I've started doing (non-flying) large scale wood/composite/plastic/metal models. I've had to do a lot of experimentation with materials and the learning curve has been steep to say the least.

This is a work-in-progress of my namesake in 1:24 scale. Next project starting February next year is a 747-400 in the same scale.

Anyway, I hope you like it.

Todos mis dominós son totalmente pegajosos

Badge

RE: Nearly There. Just Another Month Or Three...

Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:41 pm

Awesome job well done! As a R/C Flyer who builds his own 40% Aerobatic aircraft I know what your going through!

BAE146QT

Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:59 pm

Cheers Badge.  Smile

My inspiration was Artesania Latina ships. My missus bought me a kit of HMS Victory, ( http://www.shipmodels.co.uk/1367_1.html - at the bottom), and I realised that the basic rib-and-spar construction in these models was not far off what a real aircraft is like.

So I built the ship, played with the idea for a while, built cardboard test rigs, and eventually scratch-built a 1:45 scale cross between a 737 and an A320, visible to the right in the first picture above.

Then I met a guy who was a member of the UK Large Model Association ( http://www.largemodelassociation.com/featured_aircraft.htm ) and realised that I had "discovered" the same techniques that they were using. I got a lot from them, including design refinements. I was amazed to find that there are even proper scale wheels, motors, etc.

I also realised that you can build anything you want in this way, and it's almost infinitely scalable. That's why the 744 is next. And who knows - it might even end up being designed to 1:20.

I know I'm not doing anything original, but maybe someone else would be inspired to try from my efforts? It's not even that expensive when you compare what you'd spend in plastic.

MODS: The top link is commercial, but not mine.

sjc4me

Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:54 am

The 747 will be mighty impressive!
Unable.

WestJetYQQ

Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:17 am

Quoting SJC4Me (Reply 3):
The 747 will be mighty impressive!

Not to mention bloody enormous.  Wink
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

BAE146QT

Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:15 pm

Quoting WestJetYQQ (Reply 4):
Not to mention bloody enormous.

I've never liked working small scale. I've seen guys that can do 1:72 fighters of 1:144 airliners and make them look realistic, and hats off to them, but it doesn't satisfy.

Anyway, I have fallen well behind because I have to do a massive redesign on the wings and tail. I have decided that I want to have moveable control surfaces via servos and that means stripping back and making room for actuators. Mostly this was because I want to model that massive airbrake in the tail, and make it move with pneumatics.

New photos next week.

BAE146QT

Mon May 12, 2008 4:51 pm

This really is taking far too long. I can't afford the time to work on it every day though.

Dunno if anyone's interested, but I'm putting it out there, so...

More filler and sanding has gone into this than I care to remember, but the shape is now right, to my eyes at least.

Next jobs:

Wings:
Install engine mounts and wire up.
Wire in light units.
Install aileron and flap skins with Evergreen sheets.
Skin the rest of it.

Body:
Sort out main gear wells.
Coat of white primer, sand, repeat. Fill where necessary.
2nd coat primer.
Final spraying in livery. (I was thinking of TNT's gorgeous orange-on-white cargo birds. Might need to contact them if I am to publish pics...)
Decals.
Two shots of clear lacquer.

Other:
Build the d£%^ed engines and install.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/orion4000_cjp/SDC10033a.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/orion4000_cjp/SDC10036a.jpg

pl4nekr4zy

Mon May 12, 2008 10:22 pm

That looks incredible! You've got some skill. Keep at it; I'm sure all the hard work will greatly pay-off!
"Don't forget to bring a towel!"

vikkyvik

Tue May 13, 2008 2:17 am

Quoting Pl4nekr4zy (Reply 7):
That looks incredible! You've got some skill. Keep at it; I'm sure all the hard work will greatly pay-off!

Indeed, that is quite impressive.

What kind of wood are you using?

How did you machine it all?

What did you mean when you said "wire up" the engine mounts?

Like I said, quite impressive  Smile
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

QFA380

Tue May 13, 2008 10:27 am

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 6):

Looking good. I remember when you posted this thread originally and it seems to be getting along. Hopefully you can devote the required time so we can all marvel at your amazing craftsmanship when it's finished.

Will this thing be able to move under it's own power, not flying though?

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 2):
That's why the 744 is next. And who knows - it might even end up being designed to 1:20.

Wow, that will be massive. Nearly 4m long! 2 very tall men lying end to end! Hate to imagine how many hours that thing will take but I'm sure will be beautiful at the end.

BAE146QT

Tue May 13, 2008 7:02 pm

I'm amazed that I have had a response to this project, but thank you very much. I didn't know if I should bother telling you about it but I am really pleased that you guys remembered and were interested. Lots of replies here, so sorry for the length of my post;

Quoting Pl4nekr4zy (Reply 7):

I only build models for myself, and this the first time I have shared one with anyone but my missus (who usually says, "Good Lord..!") but thank you.  Smile

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 8):
What kind of wood are you using?

Ribs: Compressed chipboard and resin (MDF) laminated with Spruce.
Spars (and all wing inner components): Compressed pine rods.
Skin: Basswood and Evergreen plastic sheets.

How did you machine it all?

By hand. The only power tool used was a jigsaw to do the primary cuts for the ribs, which were then finished by hand. All spars and skins were cut with a razor saw. All mounts were drilled with a pin-vise. It was put together with dovetails, white glue, miniature panel pins and machine screws. Sanding is done with various grades of AL oxide and wet 'n dry paper.

What did you mean when you said "wire up" the engine mounts?

I am going to include geared-down electric motors for effect. They will spin the fans. THe fans will be cut from AL sheets and some accuracy will no doubt be required.  Smile

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 9):
Will this thing be able to move under it's own power, not flying though?

No. Or at least, I don't think so. The fans being spun will only push bypass air and I'm not really being careful about its routing. Also, the model already weighs about 4KG...

Looking good. I remember when you posted this thread originally and it seems to be getting along.

Slowly at best, sir. Work seems to have eaten into my leisure time lately.  Yeah sure

Hopefully you can devote the required time so we can all marvel at your amazing craftsmanship when it's finished.

You're 'Strain so I can't tell if you're being sarky but, thank you.  Wink

Wow, that will be massive. Nearly 4m long!

I really want to do this now. I have calculated the cost of materials (it's not that much now that I know where the problems are) and I know that if I segment the fuselage, I can do it in the space available. The problem is, what do I do with a non-flying model at that scale when I am done with it?

pl4nekr4zy

Wed May 14, 2008 12:37 am

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 10):
I'm amazed that I have had a response to this project, but thank you very much. I didn't know if I should bother telling you about it but I am really pleased that you guys remembered and were interested.

Glad you decided to share; I love seeing stuff like this! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product... and the 747 whenever you get around to it.  bigthumbsup 
"Don't forget to bring a towel!"

jetmech

Wed May 14, 2008 12:39 am

Quoting BAe146QT (Thread starter):

Nice work Bae146  Smile. It's always most impressive when people build from scratch.

Quoting BAe146QT (Thread starter):
747-400 in the same scale.

Can I look forward to seeing 1:24 scale RB211-524G2's under the wings of this beast  Smile ?

Regards, JetMech
JetMech split the back of his pants. He can feel the wind in his hair :shock: .

QFA380

Wed May 14, 2008 11:10 am

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 10):
The problem is, what do I do with a non-flying model at that scale when I am done with it?

If you paint it in BA colours, you could donate it to them to hang in T5 somewhere. Or put somewhere else, with a little plaque saying 'Hand Built by BAe146QT/Withheld, kindly donated to British Airways'. Then the whole world (the world outside a.net) can marvel at your craftsmanship and you don't get in trouble off your wife for having a model that takes up a square of 16m2!

BAE146QT

Thu May 15, 2008 4:40 pm

Quoting JetMech (Reply 12):
Nice work Bae146 Smile. It's always most impressive when people build from scratch.

Thank you, Jetmech. I've now given the body primer coat #1 (which the wood just sucked up) and it's really starting to look the part now.

Quoting JetMech (Reply 12):
Can I look forward to seeing 1:24 scale RB211-524G2's under the wings of this beast Smile ?

Actually, it's the engines that make me want to build in that scale, (well, that and the gear). I want to superdetail it with brass/Al/rubber pipes and tubing and, as I don't have the facilities that uncle Tamiya has for IM plastics, building large gives me the scope to do it in other materials.

I might build a 1:48 RB211 just to see how it pans out. Then I'll either go on and do the Jumbo at silly scale, or just do it at 1:48, (you know - build it around the engine).

Quoting QFA380 (Reply 13):
If you paint it in BA colours, you could donate it to them to hang in T5 somewhere. Or put somewhere else, with a little plaque saying 'Hand Built by BAe146QT/Withheld, kindly donated to British Airways'. Then the whole world (the world outside a.net) can marvel at your craftsmanship and you don't get in trouble off your wife for having a model that takes up a square of 16m2!

I love the idea that they might actually accept it if I was brave enough to offer, but I can't help but suspect that they would have to do all sorts of health-n-safety evaluations.

However I was at RAF Cosford not long ago and they accept donations of models, (not just military) so I could give it to them.

Either way, the missus doesn't mind. I think she'd rather this than me disappearing down the pub 5 nights a week  Smile

Mind you, the more I think about it, the more I think that I should scale it back a bit to something closer to 3m. I'm looking at my decking at the moment and it's 4m x 4m and boy is that big.

BAE146QT

Thu May 15, 2008 7:57 pm

Here's a pic, just after the 2nd coat of primer. It shows where the lumps 'n' bumps are, what needs filling around the base of the nose, and what needs re-filleting. Taken in low light, so it's not perfect and the shadows are very harsh.

As with the ones above, click on the pic for a larger, smoother JPG;

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/orion4000_cjp/SDC10049a.jpg

jetmech

Fri May 16, 2008 8:37 am

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 14):
Actually, it's the engines that make me want to build in that scale, (well, that and the gear). I want to superdetail it with brass/Al/rubber pipes and tubing and, as I don't have the facilities that uncle Tamiya has for IM plastics, building large gives me the scope to do it in other materials.

Now that would be very cool, a stand alone, large scale static model of an RB211, CF-6 or JT-9! If you could also make it function I would idolise you forever!

Big version: Width: 1024 Height: 768 File size: 87kb
Engine component accessibility on Rolls-Royce RB211-524G2

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 14):
Thank you, Jetmech. I've now given the body primer coat #1 (which the wood just sucked up) and it's really starting to look the part now.

Did you shape the nose from a solid block of material?

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 15):

Mmmm...., scale landing gear  Smile !

Regards, JetMech

BAE146QT

Fri May 16, 2008 4:27 pm

Quoting JetMech (Reply 16):
Now that would be very cool, a stand alone, large scale static model of an RB211, CF-6 or JT-9! If you could also make it function I would idolise you forever!

Sold - depending on what you mean by "functioning"!

Quoting JetMech (Reply 16):
Did you shape the nose from a solid block of material?

Not exactly, but not far off. But you can probably see from the pics in the first post where the nose section ends and the more barrel-like fuselage section begins. What I did was cut a single, very large sheet of laminate in the exact profile of the aircraft (except the extreme end of the tail, where the airbrake is). This formed a "keel" that the ribs would slot onto. Then I installed ribs all the way along until I reached the point where the more complex curves of the nose are.

Next I cut pieces of 10mm-thick balsa in the approximate lengthways shape of the nose (progressively smaller) and used white glue to hold them in place. Once dry, they were sanded into shape, then filled.

They say a picture paints a thousand words, so here's a grand's worth;

Sorry about the quality. It was late and I was drunk.

Obviously I'm not that worried about W&B (though it is suprisingly accurate - we'll see when the engines go on...) as the model doesn't fly. If it did, I would have chosen a different technique, probably removable, and probably in sheet aluminium for durability and easy repair.

BAE146QT

Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:31 pm

A small update for anyone who is interested;

The wings are now skinned and the mounts are in place for those natty little helicopter engines. I chickened out of making movable surfaces mainly because they wouldn't look realistic and what I'm after is a demo model, not a flying one;

(Click for bigger)

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/orion4000_cjp/SDC10088.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/orion4000_cjp/SDC10085.jpg

As you can see, I have used Evergreen for the main body of the wings, and sheet Aluminium for the leading edge so that I can do it in one piece. The tips will be light boxwood.

I thought I'd have my life back by now so I could concentrate on my hobby, but I did over 300 hours at work last month and 270 the month before that. At least the overtime means I can spare the pennies to buy equipment and materials, I suppose.

One last thing: I hate that rug as much as you do.

UltimateDelta

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:16 pm

That is super cool! If you build a 767 or 777 or something (any Boeing or a Super Constellation), can I buy it?  Wink
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

F9Animal

Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:07 am

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 15):
Here's a pic, just after the 2nd coat of primer. It shows where the lumps 'n' bumps are, what needs filling around the base of the nose, and what needs re-filleting. Taken in low light, so it's not perfect and the shadows are very harsh.

As with the ones above, click on the pic for a larger, smoother JPG;

That airplane looks awesome! Seriously, you have done a wonderful job on it. I can't wait to see it when it is finished!
I Am A Different Animal!!

legoguy

Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:17 am

Hats off to you BAe146QT, the model looks fantastic. Any updates on how it's going? Shaping the nose must have taken a long time to get the desired shape however I understand the fun in doing so. I have resorted to shaping aircraft nose sections with lego bricks and filler putty for lego models and the amount of time it takes to get the right shape is time consuming, but the finished product is certainly worth the effort.
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

Cadet57

Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:55 pm

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 18):
One last thing: I hate that rug as much as you do.

Its ok, We've only seen it for the past 7 months, your yard broke it up quite nicely  Wink But awesome work man. Did you say what colors its going to be painted in?
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

ANITIX87

Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:07 am

AMAZING! This is absolutely incredible work!

Would you think of selling them, or making special ones? I'd love to commission you to make me one with a livery I've designed, depending on price.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

BAE146QT

Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:07 pm

Hello all - many thanks for your kind comments!

No update at the moment, (I spent last weekend replacing a gearbox) but I can answer a question or two;

Quoting UltimateDelta (Reply 19):
If you build a 767 or 777 or something (any Boeing or a Super Constellation), can I buy it?

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 23):
Would you think of selling them, or making special ones?

The trouble with getting involved with selling is that, as it's a hobby, I don't have any time constraints. If I'd worked at it constantly I could have had it done in maybe two or three months, but I also would have been sick of it. I might sell them off once I've completed them (at cost, and not directly through this site) but I don't think it would be a good idea to take commissions.

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 21):
Shaping the nose must have taken a long time to get the desired shape however I understand the fun in doing so.

It's not 100% accurate to be honest, (nor is the wing sweep - it's off by about 2 degrees), but that's more a limitation of my skill than anything else - I won't blame the materials! As long as it's obvious what it is, that's okay by me.

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 22):
Its ok, We've only seen it for the past 7 months, your yard broke it up quite nicely

Man, when my missus came home with that thing it was all I could do to keep a straight face.

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 22):
Did you say what colors its going to be painted in?

Yeah - back in post 6 I suggested that I might do it as a TNT cargo plane. I'm still dithering about it though.

Cheers all!

Cadet57

Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:04 pm

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 24):
Man, when my missus came home with that thing it was all I could do to keep a straight face.

Haha. I think if my girlfriend got something like that, Id say sure hunny, lets put it in the basement, to which she would reply, but we live in an apartment. Exactly, no where to put it, oh well!  Wink

Yeah - back in post 6 I suggested that I might do it as a TNT cargo plane. I'm still dithering about it though.

Oh,very cool. TNT has some sharp colors.

UltimateDelta

Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:47 pm

I don't think it would be a good idea to take commissions.

Makes sense. It was only an idea.

BAE146QT

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:05 pm

Quoting UltimateDelta (Reply 26):
Makes sense. It was only an idea.

Well, I appreciate that you think enough of what you've seen to even ask about it, so thatnk you for that.

Tell you what though - you've given me an idea when you mentioned the Connie; Graceful curves, every rib and frame a different size... How about the Sacred Cow, the original Air Force 1, with that fantastic bare-metal finish...?

Probably creating a rod for my own back, but what a stunner that would be.

I'm going to build Jetmech's engine first though. He's on my RU list for very good reason, so I owe him one!

I was also thinking of doing an M-16 just for fun, but I'd probably end up in prison.

wilco737

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:21 pm

Hey there,

that looks awesome! I keep my fingers crossed that you get it "ready to fly" soon  thumbsup 

Keep up the work, looks really terrific

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

AA388

Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:33 pm

it looks very good so far keep it up

-max
Flown on A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A340-300,600, 717, 737-3,5,7,8,9, 747-400, 757-2, 767-300, 777-200

BAE146QT

Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:22 pm

Well, it's fully primed now after a complete disaster with the wing mounts. They were originally hollow Al tubes that allowed me to remove them if necessary, but they wouldn't take the wing weight without sagging so I am now using solid brass as the main spar.

I have also discovered that the main wheels are off-scale by about 1.5cm, so they will need to be replaced.

Nosewheel is just wedged in until painting is finished - there's no leg there, so don't freak out that it looks like a C-130 at the moment!

Engine plans have been drawn up, to they are the next component to be built. Here's a pic just before primer coat #3, as well as a rough sketch of the engines prior to doing the engineering plans, (I use sketches like these to get an feel for what I'm building);

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/orion4000_cjp/OffsideFront-Low.jpg

Cadet57

Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:18 pm

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 30):

Aw man, she's looking better each time. Cant wait to see the finished product!

zappbrannigan

Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:18 am

Top work! Can't wait to see the finished product either. Even more so for the 744, especially if you build it 1:24. By my calculations a 1:24 B744 would be 2.9m long. Fantastic!

nqyguy

Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:09 pm

Hey BAe, (and anyone else that might be able to answer my question!)

You mention adding TNT decals to your model, how do you plan on actually adding the logos? Just I have a flying model aircraft and fancy adding an airline livery to it seeing as at the moment it looks a little bland. I'm just unsure whether you're able to print decals on special paper and then transfer them, or if there is another method.

Good work!

af773atmsp

Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:49 pm

Nice work! I would like to try to make models like your model but I don't have the time (as of right now), money, space and skill to make those kinds of models.
It ain't no normal MD80 its a Super 80!

BAE146QT

Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:28 pm

Quoting NQYGuy (Reply 33):
You mention adding TNT decals to your model, how do you plan on actually adding the logos? Just I have a flying model aircraft and fancy adding an airline livery to it seeing as at the moment it looks a little bland. I'm just unsure whether you're able to print decals on special paper and then transfer them, or if there is another method.

Personally, I use thin sheets of different-coloured vinyl. You can get it from hobby stores. It can be expensive, but friendly people at aero clubs will either give or sell you off-cuts that they can't use when they're done putting racing stripes and shark mouths on their Cessna 150s.

Where there are large areas of colour, I give them three shots of enamel, using a sharp or feathered mask where I need to. Then I draw the logos on card, cut them out, and use them as a template to cut the logo from the vinyl. It's paper-backed, so you just transfer it from the card template to the back with a pencil, (in reverse, obviously) and cut it out with a scalpel. Lettering of any sort is done with Letraset in the appropriate font.

Clearly this approach wouldn't work for a really complex scheme. To give you an idea, I would use it for, say, an Emirates, easyJet or basic QANTAS plane, but not for something like the tails of BA aircraft because of the shading. Those would be printed.

I hope this helps.

BAE146QT

Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:51 pm

Quoting Af773atmsp (Reply 34):
Nice work! I would like to try to make models like your model but I don't have the time (as of right now), money, space and skill to make those kinds of models.

Thank you, (and also to Af773)  Smile

I can well understand the problem with time. I have none!

As for materials, it depends on what you're building and how much you waste. That BAe 146 has cost about $200 in total, (including material for the engines), but most of that was the basswood, boxwood and metal. You could also do it in ply and balsa if you wanted and it would be half as much. I just like working in basswood because it's so strong.

As for your skill, well, I didn't know the first thing about this when I started either. My first attempt was the badly-shaped A319 in the first picture, (above). If you are going to try this, can I give you a few pieces of advice?

1) Plan what you're going to do and then stick to it as much as you possibly can. Make drawings, make cheap cardboard models. Don't commit anything to wood, metal or plastic until you know where you're going with it.

2) Building a convincing fuselage tube out of wood is not easy. But you can make it much easier - and use less filler - if you concentrate on the quality and shape of the keel, ribs and stringers. Measure everything as you're working on it.

3) Never try and make the wood or plastic do something it doesn't want to. If you're trying to create a curve and the wood wants to snap or make unnatural bends and lumps, try it from another angle.

4) Don't get caught up on the little details too early on. Plan well, get the shape right, then look at refinements. I hope that one day I get to the point where I know enough about this that I can plan every rivet, pipe, nut and bolt. I'm not there yet but in the meantime, I work with what I have.

Good luck - and please give it a go!

af773atmsp

Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:22 pm

Did you have to use any power tools to make the model? If you did is there equipment for making these kinds of models thats safe for 13-16 year olds?
It ain't no normal MD80 its a Super 80!

BAE146QT

Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:05 am

Quoting Af773atmsp (Reply 37):
Did you have to use any power tools to make the model? If you did is there equipment for making these kinds of models thats safe for 13-16 year olds?

I used a jigsaw to cut the keel and ribs, and I have made occasional use of a Dremel here and there - mostly to cut aluminium tubes. But there's no real need to use them other than convenience and speed. There's plenty of hand tools which will do the job and I prefer them.

Thing is, wood and metal work is never entirely safe. Just because you're not using power tools, doesn't mean you can't get hurt. If you're asking becuase you want your 13-16 year old involved, (or if you are a 13-16 year old yourself!) then all I can say is that you should follow sensible safety precautions including eye protection. And you should accept that no matter how careful you are, you WILL get cuts, bruises and splinters.

Apparently, that's all part of the fun.  Wink

UltimateDelta

Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:54 am

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 27):
Tell you what though - you've given me an idea when you mentioned the Connie; Graceful curves, every rib and frame a different size... How about the Sacred Cow, the original Air Force 1, with that fantastic bare-metal finish...?

Mmm... Yeah, that would be awesome. Of course, so would an LH plane in the original c/s.

BAE146QT

Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:17 pm

Quoting UltimateDelta (Reply 39):
Of course, so would an LH plane in the original c/s.

My grandmother was a hostess on LH Connies. In fact, that's how she met my grandad, an RA Major heading home from Celle via Dusseldorf to London. She has a special place in her heart for the Connie - I'm tempted to do this next but have taken a comission for a full-scale M60 SAW first. I'll be building that that the same time I'm building a 1:48 RB-211.

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 38):
Thing is, wood and metal work is never entirely safe.

Sorry to quote myself, but I have to say that although this isn't some extreme sport, you can really mess yourself up. I slashed the back of my left hand middle finger down to the bone. And although it healed after I sealed the wound with superglue, (look it up), I have no feeling in that fingertip at all.

WPIAeroGuy

Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:37 pm

Wow, I just found this thread and its unbeleivable. Building that from scratch is extremely impressive, I'll definetly be looking forward to updates!
-WPIAeroGuy

jetmech

Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:13 am

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 40):
I'm building a 1:48 RB-211.

I can't wait for this one! Which particular model will you be building?

Regards, JetMech

BAE146QT

Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:40 pm

Quoting WPIAeroGuy (Reply 41):
Wow, I just found this thread and its unbeleivable. Building that from scratch is extremely impressive, I'll definetly be looking forward to updates!

Thank you. Seeng as I have been working on this for the last 10 months, I hope you're going to be around for a while!

But seriously, I will be doing the engines during November. Because they are done from templates, the should all take the same amount of time,

Quoting JetMech (Reply 42):
I can't wait for this one! Which particular model will you be building?

Well how the hell should I know?  biggrin 

You were the one who suggested I should do it - so you tell me! Do you have something in mind, or should I be generic? You could really help me if you have pics you can offer. If you have any, please PM me and I will send you my e-mail address. Even rough sketches with scales would be helpful - see above in Post 30.

BAE146QT

Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:05 pm

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 43):
Do you have something in mind, or should I be generic?

P.s. Because I warn you - if you don't specify, I will end up building a P&W JT9D - and then you'll be sorry!

jetmech

Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:45 am

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 43):

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 44):

A Trent 700 or RB211-524G2 would be great! Nothings quite as distinctive as RR's full length cowling  Smile.

Regards, JetMech

BAE146QT

Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:54 pm

Quoting JetMech (Reply 45):
A Trent 700 or RB211-524G2 would be great! Nothings quite as distinctive as RR's full length cowling Smile.

Heh. It's also easier to model! Build, score, mask, spray...

I have only done the blanks, (no detail) for the 146's engines in the last few weeks, so I reckon were looking at next year. This has to be some sort of record for me. I managed the Tamiya 1:350 Enterprise model faster than this - and that was with Gold Medal brass details and a full CAW.

I hate my stupid job as much as I hate that rug. Humph.

jetmech

Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:15 am

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 46):
Heh. It's also easier to model! Build, score, mask, spray...

Then again, a scale model of an RB211-524D4 with hand formed and polished aluminium cowlings would look even more spectacular  Smile !

Regards, JetMech

Cadet57

Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:23 am

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 46):
I hate that rug

Accidentally spill paint on it, offer to get her a new one  Wink