spencesaab

FSX Airport Altitude Problem

Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:07 pm

Hi guys,

did a search and couldn't find anything so I'm wondering if its just me thats had this problem:

I frequently fly to and from various Canary Islands in MSFS. In FS9 I'd often fly using the PMDG 737, Camarysim's VFR scenery and simwings airport scenery. It was brilliant, and I was hoping to continue this in FSX.

Taking off from Gatwick towards Fuerteventura was fine, and so was apporach, the problem occurs on final when, to my suprise the airport appears to be on a plateau about 500ft ASL. Oh well I figure that FS has poor mesh anyway, so I figured increased mesh setting to max might help. It didn't.

Furthermore no matter what I try there seems to be these 500ft deep craters in the ground between the runways and the taxiiways.

Is this an issue that anybody else has had? I've tried searching for scenery, the canarysim stuff is taking an absolute age, the website still says "Expected release Summer 2007" !!! avsim.com had a small scenery update where somebody has made it all look a bit better but the airports all seem to be on this strage plateau miles higher than in reality!

What's going on with FS? Surely this cannot be just bad work by the MSFS guys?
Silence is Golden when you don't know a good answer

spencesaab

RE: FSX Airport Altitude Problem

Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:44 pm

Just thought:

In FS9 you could change the height of airports using AFCAD. I'm under the impression that AFCAD does not work in FSX...am I wrong? Or could I in fact use AFCAD to lower the height to the airports to a realistic height?

regards,
-Spence-

David L

Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:26 pm

I just took a look at Fuerteventura in FSX - I see the same as you do. The airport is definitely elevated compared to what I see in photos.

Quoting SpenceSaab (Reply 1):
In FS9 you could change the height of airports using AFCAD.

Yes, but not the height of the surrounding terrain.

Quoting SpenceSaab (Reply 1):
I'm under the impression that AFCAD does not work in FSX...am I wrong?

Correct though I think you can convert the FSX files into AFCAD versions, edit certain features then convert them back. Don't ask me how!

spencesaab

Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:26 pm

Oooh, thanks. I'll give it a go and see what I get. Thanks!

regards,
-Spence-

David L

Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:59 am

Quoting SpenceSaab (Reply 3):
Oooh, thanks. I'll give it a go and see what I get. Thanks!

OK, I'm not sure what inspiration I've inspired but I was really saying there's not much you can do about it until someone releases corrected scenery for the area.  Smile

spencesaab

Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:25 am

lol...I was saying I'll try and lower the airports using AFCAD, by trying to find something that will convert FXX into FS9 AFCAD files and back again after editing.

The rest of the land can be solved using the scenery I found on avsim.com, that only lowers all of the surrounding land to its correct levels, but I can now (if I can find the FSX-FS9-FSX converter) I can lower the airports to kinda "complete" this scenery from avsim if you get what I mean.

Thanks again,
regards,
-Spence-

David L

Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:53 am

Quoting SpenceSaab (Reply 5):
The rest of the land can be solved using the scenery I found on avsim.com, that only lowers all of the surrounding land to its correct levels,

Ah, I didn't realise you had an FSX scenery add-on for the area - fair enough. What is the avsim file? I'd like to have a look at it, just out of interest.

Quoting SpenceSaab (Reply 5):
by trying to find something that will convert FXX into FS9 AFCAD files and back again after editing.

Before you do that, take a look at these:

http://www.zbluesoftware.com/fsxplanner/overview.cfm
http://www.scruffyduckscenery.co.uk/

spencesaab

Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:59 pm

Oooh, thanks, looks like that will make things a lot easier! Thanks again!

regards,
-Spence-