vinniewinnie

Help: Need Good Aviation Spotting Book!

Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:50 pm

Hi everyone,

I properly ventured to Heathrow yesterday and was appalled by my lack of ability to spot the difference between airplanes, especially 757's and A321's.

I'm therefore looking for a guide (pocket-book) that would enable me to quickly look up the characteristics of a plane and say right this was an A321 because of this and that feature that I saw!

Can anyone recommend me a good or the best book that I could take with me that would help me in my spotting when looking at the sky?

thanks!

Vincent

soon7x7

RE: Help: Need Good Aviation Spotting Book!

Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:37 pm

I don't think you need a book, I would make a list of the various types of common ailiners and their varients. Go through ANET calling up one at a time A321,A 320, A319, A318...and look at them this way...they are all VARIENTS on the same model....long and short versions. Look for the commonaliteis and write notes.Give aways at a glane are, cockpit window shapes....Vertical fin shapes, Airbus models generally hace ROUND CROSS SECTION fuselages where BOEINGS typically have oval cross section, 777 is the exception.Also tailcones, wing fences, winglets, etc are dead givaways...Boeings use Aviation Partners Winglets which are similar in appearence, they are a gracefull blended design. The 747/400 looks more like an airbus winglet. Make your own small scrapbook that will fit in your camera bag to keep with you. You'll learn more by creating it youself. My girlfriend works in corporate avitaion and she didn't know the difference between the Hindenburg and a J-3 Cub. I assembled such a scrap book for her, now she's an expert and the manual is used by all new employees in her company....need any help....email me...

LHRSIMON

Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:10 pm

Or do the aviation photo quiz on this site.

At the top of the screen press PLANE FUN then AVIATION PHOTO QUIZ

Make sure you limit it to airliners though. Otherwise you could end up with a 1942 bi-plane to ID.  Smile
Canon 1D Mk III,Canon 20D+17-40 L f4.0,70-200 L IS USM f2.8,400 L USM f5.6,135 mm L f2.0, 50 mm f1.8,1.4 x II extender

spencer

Thu May 01, 2008 8:00 pm

Quoting Vinniewinnie (Thread starter):
best book

Can't go wrong with a Jane's!!
Spencer.
EOS1D4, 7D, 30D, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, 70-200/2.8 L IS2 USM, 17-40 f4 L USM, 24-105 f4 L IS USM, 85 f1.8 USM

UltimateDelta

Thu May 01, 2008 9:30 pm

Yeah, I have the Jane's aircraft identification guide and it shows each plane, and lists distinguishing features of each. You should try investing in that.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010