phileet92

Spotting Guide?

Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:19 pm

Hey. just wondering. i know some of you out there have spotting guides such as aircraft registration books. may i ask which one/ ones are the best? i kinda want to get a more updated version to keep me up to date. thanks!

-phileet92

pl4nekr4zy

RE: Spotting Guide?

Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:44 pm

http://www.jetphotos.net/census/

Airline fleets are constantly changing, so an online databse such as the JP census, which is usually kept accurate and up to date, is much better than an actual book, IMO. (Which, BTW, I've never seen a comprehensive "registration book" or "spotting guide".) Not exactly sure what your intentions are, phileet92, but if you are trying to spot every N# of a particular airline or something, the link I gave you and a pen and notebook should work just fine. If you need to familiarize yourself with certain aircraft types, then the Airliners.net photo database should come in handy...
"Don't forget to bring a towel!"

mcdonobr

Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:23 pm

A good online reference is: http://www.aerotransport.org

There is a free trial period, but, you eventually have to join it. It always seems to be kept up to date. I shot a plane, Boeing 747SP "VQ-BMS" on 6/1 which had only been reregistered a couple of days earlier on 5/29 and it was already updated. And, this was the 1st plane registered with this new "VQ" prefix.

DFW13L

Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:53 pm

Is there a good computer software program/database that someone has developed for spotting? I'm using books, but it would be better if it was a computer program that could be updated online yearly or something. Other than jetphotos.net spotter's database, is there a software package out the for spotting?

By the way, I use the books that they sell at the spotting areas of LHR and MAN.
See, I knew American Eagle was first class all along!