jasp25

FS9: When Flying Jets, What To Do On Go-around?

Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:57 am

When asked to go around on FS9, what is the "realistic" thing to do when it comes to the heading, speed, altitude???

-jasp
-peace and chicken grease!

phatfarmlines

RE: FS9: When Flying Jets, What To Do On Go-around?

Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:03 am

If you are flying IFR and utilized an instrument approach, I would just follow the missed approach procedures (chances are you will be directed to a VOR and enter in a holding pattern).

jasp25

Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:23 am

Quoting Phatfarmlines (Reply 1):
I would just follow the missed approach procedures

Where in FS9 can you find those procedures??

-jasp
-peace and chicken grease!

ShyFlyer

Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:47 am

Quoting Jasp25 (Thread starter):
what is the "realistic" thing to do when it comes to the heading, speed, altitude???

Maintain runway heading, advance throttle to climb power, begin climb, retract gear, retract flaps to take off setting.
I lift things up and put them down.

khelmDTW

Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:06 pm

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 3):
Maintain runway heading, advance throttle to climb power, begin climb, retract gear, retract flaps to take off setting.

Yeah, or you can reset the traffic/time and ignore the command Big grin

I haven't flown with FS ATC in over a year, infact NEVER with FSX, but I believe that a bit after you pass the runway's full length, they hand you back over to approach who then gives you further instructions (altitude, heading, et cetera) In my experience they redirect you to the initial approach fix. I would only climb to 3000ft, since that is what I have remember ATC advising after switching to approach.

Beware, FS ATC has had me almost fly into a mountain on a go around (in Albuquerque), that's when I decided to switch to VATSIM.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration"

ShyFlyer

Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:45 pm

Quoting KhelmDTW (Reply 4):
ignore the command

I do that a lot. Especially since ATC occasionally forgets about me and I end up 50 some odd miles away from the airport.

Quoting KhelmDTW (Reply 4):
FS ATC has had me almost fly into a mountain on a go around (in Albuquerque)

Yeah, I hate that. Departures (or go arounds) from 8 usually turn to 290 or 310 at 13.5 DME from the ABQ VOR for northern departures. Southerly departures are usually given turn to a heading of 190.
I lift things up and put them down.

flymia

Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:57 pm

When flying VFR which I do most of the time because I cant stand FS unrealistic ATC.
Advance Throttle to almost full power.
Gear Up
Flaps Up to takeoff setting
Than make a right or left turn away from the runway and other runways. If I am using approach plates which you can find on the internet for many airports around the world I will follow the missed approach procedure.
But the number one thing to remember is keep flying, keep your speed up.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

andrewuber

Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:09 am

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 6):
But the number one thing to remember is keep flying, keep your speed up.

My instructor used to tell me that in ALL situations - FTFA!!

(Fly The Freaking Airplane)

You can use other words for the "F" but you get the idea.

A true go-around is not "almost" full power, it's takeoff power. Gear up. Pull flaps up incrementally on speed - do NOT yank them up to TO setting if you're anywhere near VREF, as you could stall (and this is no place to practice stalls). Climbing right turn (if possible) is preferred, and for FS practices I'd go to at least 2,000 AGL. Run downwind until abeam the touchdown zone, and start preparing for another landing.

As MIA mentioned, speed is the most important thing. Depending on the equipment you're in, hand flying can be quite involving, especially when having to do a "non-standard" maneuver. Don't get distracted and forget to maintain control.

Drew  wave 
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

EDICHC

Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:24 am

Quoting AndrewUber (Reply 7):
(Fly The Freaking Airplane)

You can use other words for the "F" but you get the idea.

You don't mean "F*** the freaking airplane" do you?  biggrin 

I know someone down here who loves his aircraft so much I think he would do just that!
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

71Zulu

RE: FS9: When Flying Jets, What To Do On Go-around

Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:04 pm

Quoting Jasp25 (Reply 2):
Where in FS9 can you find those procedures??

You can get instrument procedures here

http://www.fltplan.com/AwMainToAppro...RRYUNAME=PILOT&MODE=SEARCH&end=end

Put in the airport code and then you can download one of the instrument approaches. Fly the approach according to the chart and execute the missed approach procedure as needed. You can then move on to flying SIDS and STARS and it really makes flight sim a lot more fun and realistic.
Clickable links only please!