Longhornmaniac
Topic Author

Maps2Bgl: Create Your Own Photoreal Scenery

Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:07 am

Hey guys!

Has anybody else tried out Maps2Bgl, which allows you to create your own photoreal scenery using either Google Earth or Microsoft Virtual Earth? All you have to do is create a polygon in GE, save it as a KML, and let Maps2Bgl do the rest! It's amazing! Here are some screenshots from AUS:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l244/Longhornmaniac8/AUSPhotoreal1.jpg
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l244/Longhornmaniac8/AUSPhotoreal2.jpg

Download it here.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

Continental

RE: Maps2Bgl: Create Your Own Photoreal Scenery

Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:36 am

That is awesome! Does it introduce a noticeable amount of lag?

Longhornmaniac
Topic Author

Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:10 am

Quoting Continental (Reply 1):
That is awesome! Does it introduce a noticeable amount of lag?

No lag at all. You can see my frame rates are over 75, which is about normal for around there. If anything, it's actually a bit better.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

jetmatt777
Crew

Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:04 am

Hmmm....I can't get mine to work. WHen I open the program it says Service Not Configuired. Hmmm...
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

CPH-R

Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:09 pm

IIRC the only issue with this type of scenery, is that it takes up quite a bit of space on the harddisk.

Also, I can imagine that after flying around in the photoreal areas for a while, you realise that the surrounding area also looks a bit boring, so you convert that to photoreal as well - and before you know it, you have uploaded all of Chile as photoreal scenery on AVSIM  Wink

Longhornmaniac
Topic Author

Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:04 pm

Quoting Jetmatt777 (Reply 3):
Hmmm....I can't get mine to work. WHen I open the program it says Service Not Configuired

Go into the .ini file in the main Maps2Bgl file, and change the g******.**m to "google.com" and change v***********.**t to virtualearth.net. It'll work like a charm after that.

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 4):
IIRC the only issue with this type of scenery, is that it takes up quite a bit of space on the harddisk.

Also, I can imagine that after flying around in the photoreal areas for a while, you realise that the surrounding area also looks a bit boring, so you convert that to photoreal as well - and before you know it, you have uploaded all of Chile as photoreal scenery on AVSIM Wink

It does take up a bit, but IMO it's worth it.  rotfl  That pisses me off so much!

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

san747

Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:22 pm

This is the COOLEST thing I have ever seen. I'm gonna convert BOS and ALB immediately! Big grin
Scotty doesn't know...

KPDX

Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:05 am

Awesome! Thanks for sharing Longhorn! I am having a field day with this program.  Smile The only thing that stinks is big cities, when you photo-real them, I believe it takes out all the skyscrapers - which is noticeble if they arent 3d - from the air.
View my aviation videos on Youtube by searching for zildjiandrummr12

B727-200

Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:34 am

Quoting CPH-R (Reply 4):
Also, I can imagine that after flying around in the photoreal areas for a while, you realise that the surrounding area also looks a bit boring, so you convert that to photoreal as well - and before you know it, you have uploaded all of Chile as photoreal scenery on AVSIM

Bwaaaahahaaaaa, thank goodness it wasn't the old USSR  Wow!

I will have to give this a crack, thanks for the link  bigthumbsup 

B727-200.

csturdiv

Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:49 pm

Photoreal Antarctica here I come!
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

Longhornmaniac
Topic Author

Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:52 pm

Hey guys,

I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Quoting KPDX (Reply 7):
The only thing that stinks is big cities, when you photo-real them, I believe it takes out all the skyscrapers - which is noticeble if they arent 3d - from the air.

If you're talking about the default buildings, then they should still show up, mine did. If you're talking about add-on scenery, then as long as you set it at a higher layer, it should show up on top of the scenery. My AUS scenery you can see at the top left corner of the 2nd picture is a freeware addon, and it shows up.

twocents 

Quoting Csturdiv (Reply 9):

rotfl 

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron