Triebwerk
Topic Author

Looking For A Good Airline Magazine...

Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:01 am

I've been a subscriber to Flying magazine for a little while. It's a professional publication in every way, but seeing as I'm more interested in commercial news than in personal flying, it's not of great interest to me.

Can anyone recommend a magazine for commercial aviation (e.g. airlines and the airliners they fly)? I've done some searching online, but it seems that general aviation garners a much larger market. Thanks!

NWADC9

RE: Looking For A Good Airline Magazine...

Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:19 am

Airliners. Good read, and I'm a subscriber  Cool
I convert Jet A and 100LL into noise.

Dr.DTW

Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:43 am

This is the low-down.

There are three major publications for commercial aviation enthusiasts

Airliners, Airways, and Airliner World.

Which one is best? It depends what you want. My preference in order:
1.) Airliner World 2.) Airways 3.) Airliners

My opinions:
Airliners: Good if your just interested in looking at pictures. Not good at all for an informative look at global aviation or industry trends. If your just interested in aviation as a simple hobby (spotting etc) you may like it. Articles are very simple and lack sophistication. A basic magazine for someone interested in pictures with no big words. If your a professional, I would suggest the ones below.

Airways: Excellent publication with a great writing staff. Good articles that are well written and very informative. Topics are also great, and some tend to be off the beaten path, which gives good variety.

Airliner World: A great magazine for the serious enthusiast. Articles tend to be lengthy, but informative and full of detail. Great review of global aviation. An enthusiast's magazine, as well as for someone in the industry.

Others I'm sure will disagree.

UltimateDelta

Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:47 pm

I would definitely recommend Airliners or Airways. I find these "easier" to read than Airliner World. It's a little too in-depth IMO.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

ACDC8

Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:51 pm

I find that Airways used to be a great magazine. I had every issue since day 1 up untill about 2002 when I found that their ego has gotten larger than their publication. Its hard to describe, but I just found a drastic change in their writing style, especially in the replies to the letters.

Airliner World is by far my favourite now. It has a great format with current news, articles on airlines, airports, aircraft and historical insights.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Triebwerk
Topic Author

Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:54 am

What I'm looking for, I guess, is a magazine that puts equal focus on the manufacturers (Airbus, Boeing, Embraer, etc) and the airliners. The logistics don't interest me as much as the technology involved and the variations along airlines.

apollo13

Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:10 am

I think that Airliner World would suit you best then. Airways magazine has great staff who write nice essays but sometimes, they are just that.... essays. The ydo tend to look towards a bit of nostalgia which is fine because they do also pair it with current news and stories. If you want in depth reviews and information on topics concerning the airlines and the airliners that they fly, then yes Definately go with Airlienr World. It is also by far my favorite!!!

Also, if you are also interested about the topics of airports..... try Airports of the World. Both Airliner World and Airports of the World are fron England and the price over here in the US is a bit expensive i think. I get mine from Barnes and Noble and with the "member discount: of 10% it still somes out to be $11.50 and plus since they do publish in the UK, it takes a while before the current issue reaches the States. Wel lat least for me living in the Bay Area

airbalticfan

Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:21 am

Airliners, Airways, and Airliner World!
For flight simmers PC Aviator!

Flying is alright,I do buy it,but it is my least favourite.
Stick with one of the three big boys....Airliner,Airways or Airliner World or...like I do with all 3 of them Smile

Holidaycharter

Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:19 am

Yes cant go far wrong with Airliners, or if you like reading about your airports then Airports of the world is a extremely interesting read i personally get both publications well worth the money.

767nutter

Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:27 pm

In my opinion Airliner world is the best choice, yes the articles may be lengthy but that's because they cover everything in brilliant detail.

They cover everything commercially, from basic Airbus and Boeing deliveries in the middle of the mag to detailed airline deliveries at the back.
They have articles called 'from the flightdeck of a.........' where its a good description of a real flight.

They cover everything globally so it's the best to go for if thats what you're after

acroairfun

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:11 pm

For me "Airliner World" is the best one. As I saw not only for me. Big grin
Everything is flexible if you know how to bend it.

Triebwerk
Topic Author

Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:20 pm

Got Airways in the mail last night. It seemed pretty thin at first, but as I read through, I was surprised at just how packed the magazine was. Nice pictures, too.
Nevertheless, I'm not sure it's the right magazine for me. (Luckily, I had only ordered a sample issue.) I feel as if I'm looking for something a little more in-depth and technical, so Airliner World might be the better pick.

Triebwerk
Topic Author

Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:49 pm

Airliner world arrived in the mail the other day. Wow! It's going to tke quite some time to look through all of it. I'm liking the focus on international airlines and the relatively high ratio of text to photos.

midcon385

Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:51 pm

Airliner World is the one I plan to subscribe to soon. I have a December 2006 copy I bought in a bookstore, and liked it very much. Plan to use some of my Christmas money to get a subscription. Just bought a special edition issue from the same publisher (Key Publishing Ltd.) on the Boeing 747 for €6.99 including air mail shipping to the U.S. Gotta have as much special stuff as possible on my favorite plane!

Tim
MidContinent Airlines: We Know How To Fly!