QF108
Topic Author

Sydney Man Builds His Own B747 Simulator

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:44 am

This man is a god, for any Flight sim fans. Nothing else needs to be said !!!!!!

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2009/03/13/1236447451617.html

Mark
Blessed are the Cheesemakers !

pjflysfast

RE: Sydney Man Builds His Own B747 Simulator

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:57 am

Wow!!!! A man who has something that we all here want to have!

cpd

Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:14 am

I've seen videos of this simulator - it has a motion rig as well. It has been widely featured in the news for a couple of years now.

I think I know which company is involved. It is very impressive.

zappbrannigan

Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:55 pm

Yeah, been aware of this for a while now - but never seen it in the mainstream media here. A brilliant piece of work.

cpd

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:13 am

Quoting Zappbrannigan (Reply 3):
but never seen it in the mainstream media here. A brilliant piece of work.

It runs on MS FS as well IIRC.   That should have most people running for the hills as quickly as possible.  

Oddly enough, it was SMH which featured this last year actually. And here they are again. It must have been a slow news week.  

I however like this simulator more:

http://www.concorde-photos.co.uk/gallery/albums/concorde/ba_sim/21stfebruary2009/normal_IMG_8461-01.jpg

Yes - it is what it appears to be. Reconstructed and alive again.    No thanks to the former owners chopping it up the way they did.   I actually doubted if it'd ever get put back together, it looked so bad. Unfortunately she has lost her hydraulic rig, so no motion anymore, but the graphics stand a great chance of looking more realistic than ever.

[Edited 2009-03-18 02:21:34]

zappbrannigan

Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:31 pm

Quoting Cpd (Reply 4):
Yes - it is what it appears to be. Reconstructed and alive again. No thanks to the former owners chopping it up the way they did. I actually doubted if it'd ever get put back together, it looked so bad. Unfortunately she has lost her hydraulic rig, so no motion anymore, but the graphics stand a great chance of looking more realistic than ever.

So that's an actual Concorde flight deck? Didn't find any obvious info on the site, apart from the pics. That's also amazing - I'd love to have the time (not to mention the tech knowledge) to put something like this together... although I'm not sure if any of the shine would be taken off the homemade effort if you start flying the "real" simulators and the aircraft themselves on a regular basis (if an actual airline pilot, or soon-to-be airline pilot put something like this together).

I think what makes Matthew Sheil's 744 (and others like it) so good is they have put it together from scratch from hundreds of individual items - a gauge from here, a small panel from there etc. - then managed to interface all this stuff to software that was never designed to handle it in the first place.

Complete nit-picking - but I wish he'd put some kind of divider between the PFD and ND displays, even if they're on the same monitor - it's the only thing that makes it look slightly off the real thing  Smile

cpd

Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:18 am

Quoting Zappbrannigan (Reply 5):
So that's an actual Concorde flight deck? Didn't find any obvious info on the site, apart from the pics

It's the replica G-BOAC - that was used by BA to train their Concorde pilots. It was their simulator. It's now being rebuilt and driven by alternative software.  

There was a video of it on Youtube in action, with Attitude Direction Indicators and other gauges in operation - along with the sound. It was truly impressive.  Smile

[Edited 2009-03-18 18:19:40]

seemyseems

Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:26 pm

Quoting Cpd (Reply 6):
It's the replica G-BOAC - that was used by BA to train their Concorde pilots. It was their simulator. It's now being rebuilt and driven by alternative software.

There was a video of it on Youtube in action, with Attitude Direction Indicators and other gauges in operation - along with the sound. It was truly impressive.

Cool!

Do you know where it is?
seemyseems

Boeing747400ER

Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:30 am

Thats awesome! i want one!