Shany
Topic Author

IFR Training In FS2004, Planes Needed

Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:24 pm

Hello everybody,

I am looking for a FREEWARE package for FS2004 to fly a "good" SEP and a "good" MEP plane:

To let you know what my needs are:

I want to fly IFR, so the cockpits should be fully IFR compatible (2 VORs, 1 ADF, clear, big readings, 1 HSI, 1 GPS (Garmin would be the best, since my flying school uses the Garmin 430), complete NAV-stack so that I can easily switch my frequencies, DME.

View out of the cockpit window should also not be too bad, since you need visual reference to the ground at decision hight.

What is also very important to me is that the plane is framerate-friendly and the aerodynamics are smooth so that the plane can easily maintain the altitude and especially the pitch and roll. The default planes are really ugly in regard of that. It is difficult to keep the airplane's pitch steady. I have yokes and pedals, but they are not too accurate.

Please also post the download links.

Many thanks in advance

Shany
ETOPS - Engines Turn Or People Swim

lhr380

RE: IFR Training In FS2004, Planes Needed

Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:45 pm

I would have thought the default Mooney would be good for it?
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

zappbrannigan

RE: IFR Training In FS2004, Planes Needed

Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:04 am

I used to use FS to stay sharp on certain approaches and procedures before flying them for real - one of my biggest annoyances was finding an aircraft (payware or otherwise) that fit the bill well for actual IFR training. Little things like most FS default aircraft having jumbo-sized fat ADF needles (the tip of the needle is hardly a point) and VOR CDIs, autopilots not holding rate-one turns etc.. The Carenado C182 was about the best I found - but that was annoying as it only had a one-axis autopilot (faithful to the model of A/P but annoying for IFR training).

I ended up trying X-Plane for actual IFR famil and training, and haven't looked back. It's plugged all the gaps that FSX couldn't fill, has done it well, and is blisteringly fast. I know the simulator itself isn't free, and this is probably not what you're looking for in an answer - but I thought I'd throw this in, as it was the best purchase I ever made for PC-based IFR training at home.