rjpieces

Radio Scanners Without Static Noise

Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:33 pm

I've had the same old Radio Shack portable radio scanner for over a decade. It works well but I am thinking about investing in a new one.

I guess my question is are there certain scanners that don't have so much background static noise? Does that require a radio as opposed to a scanner?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

Fly2HMO

RE: Radio Scanners Without Static Noise

Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:15 pm

Quoting RJpieces (Thread starter):

I guess my question is are there certain scanners that don't have so much background static noise? Does that require a radio as opposed to a scanner?

What you're asking for is like asking for water that wont make you wet. There will always be static in one way or another with radio transmissions. Some radios may be better at filtering it out than others, but if you want less static you're gonna sacrifice reception quality.

David L

Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:16 pm

Are you talking about background static during transmissions or between transmissions?

If it's the former, it's unlikely to be due to it being a scanner. After all, a scanner is a radio with extra tuning features.  Smile

If it's the latter, have you tried increasing the the squelch?

TS-IOR

Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:04 pm

Try a Maycom. I have the FR100 and is efficient, and tiny as well  
Next flight TUN-YUL Tunisair A330-243.