PITrules
Topic Author

Airliners Magazine?

Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:50 am

Does anyone else think the magazine has gone downhill big time?
FLYi

aerdingus

RE: Airliners Magazine?

Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:11 pm

Yes. I've noticed the last few issues have all the same cover layout, some CEO in front of his aircraft. Can they not find a female CEO, or even just diversify the content? I've been meaning to write to them about that actually. They also seem a bit behind with stuff sometimes but I suppose it's just they way the magazine comes out. I still buy it for the interesting "old days" of aviation type articles.
2016: BHX GLA KIR LCY LGW MUC VIE BA EI FR LH OS A320 A321 ATR 42 ATR 72 B738 E190 E195

ramzi

Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:50 pm

In the march edition on the very first page it says "Airbus Orders and Deliveries" with the Boeing orders and deliveries under it and vice versa. But this is not what disappoints me. It is rather that their reporting has gotten weaker and less stable. I e-mailed Tony Dixon about a particular subject and he could not disagree with me. I hope they get things together, they've gotten us used to expecting the best...
There will come a time when you believe everything is finished - that will be the beginning.

UltimateDelta

Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:01 pm

I wouln't say it's bad, but the articles seem to have gotten awfully simplistic. That, and I'd like to read about something other than the next startup in Brazil or whatever. It could be a lot better.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

PITrules
Topic Author

Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:07 pm

Quoting aerdingus (Reply 1):
I still buy it for the interesting "old days" of aviation type articles.

Me too, but it seems like these types of articles are becoming few and far between.

Quoting ramzi (Reply 2):

I think you are talking about "Airliner World", not "Airliners". At this point I think Airliner World is much better.
FLYi

ACDC8

Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:29 pm

I can't even remember the last time I picked up an Airliners magazine, must have been in 00 or 01 sometime.

Now, Airways is a magazine that went downhill back in the late 90s ... the editors just got too full of themselves and they really showed it in their responses to the Letters section. Not to mention how repetative the articles got. The only reason I kept buying the magazine was for Rick Drury's articles, but when he left that was it for me.

[Edited 2010-03-14 13:30:56]
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

aerdingus

Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:40 pm

I think Airways is the better of the two. I only started buying them back in 2005. There are good articles from the different pilots who contribute. There was also very interesting articles on IL-62'S and Iran Air recently.
2016: BHX GLA KIR LCY LGW MUC VIE BA EI FR LH OS A320 A321 ATR 42 ATR 72 B738 E190 E195

WESTERN737800

Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:56 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 5):
I can't even remember the last time I picked up an Airliners magazine, must have been in 00 or 01 sometime.

Same here. They had it in a bookstore in a neighboring town around 99 or 00. I bought an issue here or there, they just don't seem to sell them anywhere around here. I'm sure I could find it on the internet, but I'm too lazy to do a search. I've purchased quite a few issues of Airways. With Anet, it seems like when I read something in a magazine that catches my eye newswise I remember reading it on Anet a couple weeks before I see it in the magazine. About the only time I get the magazines anymore is if they have a surplus of good pictures in them, gettin lazy I guess.
Bring back Western Airlines!

ACDC8

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:17 am

Quoting WESTERN737800 (Reply 7):
With Anet, it seems like when I read something in a magazine that catches my eye newswise I remember reading it on Anet a couple weeks before I see it in the magazine. About the only time I get the magazines anymore is if they have a surplus of good pictures in them, gettin lazy I guess.

I don't think I've boughten an aviation magazine in a good 3 years ... I still browse through them, and as much as I enjoy Airliner World, its usually old stuff that we've read/discussed here already.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Jeremy

Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:03 pm

Yes, and Airways too.

I stopped my subscription to both a couple of years ago...
You are now free to be sexually harassed and then terminated for filing a complaint--Southwest Airlines to me.

citationjet

Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:00 pm

In 2007 the issues were 80 pages. I just received my Jan/Feb 2010 Airliners issue. It has 48 pages. No airplane picture on the cover. Fewer pictures of airplanes and more photos of people. There are pictures of airplanes on only 23 of the 48 pages. Gone are the airplane liveries found in the Photos News section. I don't plan to renew my subscription.

Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

laca773

Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:31 am

Airways magazine has gone down the tubes. It seems they have it in really good with someone at AS as they always have articles about them. Everything seems very mainstream and nothing of note anymore.

Airlinerworld & Airportworld do a great job. Some months are better than others but I think that depends on where your intersted lie.

YULspotter

Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:58 pm

I'm currently a subscriber and I agree that it appears to be going downhill. There have been quite a few departures of staff at the magazine over the last little while (as announced in the magazine itself). This is usually not a good sign.

In addition, my Jan/Feb 2010 issue arrived in mid-March while it normally should have arrived near the end of Jan. I had contacted them after February had come and gone without me receiving the magazine. They never got back to me but the magazine finally showed up last week. The Jan/Feb issue also appears to be one of the thinnest one yet.

It's also becoming increasingly difficult to find it in newsprint and magazine stores.

If things don't turn around soon, I have a feeling this magazine won't be around for much longer (I really hope not though).

YULspotter

airbalticfan

Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:49 am

I did not renew my Airliners subscription for this year.I always liked Airways way better anyways.I do not think that Airways have gone downhill,I still love their articles and it is very "family"friendly magazine without a bunch of "tech/spec" and even my wife enjoy reading it!
Great job!

rolypolyman

Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:37 pm

As someone who writes for a non-aviation magazine I will say that times have gotten very tough for small traditional magazines over the past decade because of the rise of the Internet. This is especially true of aviation, where most subscribers are middle- to upper-class and have regular access to the Internet. For people accustomed to tons of realtime discussion on A.net, PPRUNE, etc, it's hard to embrace old-school magazines and that becomes increasingly true as we get used to all this new technology. The other problem too is that once subscriber numbers go down, then advertisers start bailing. This means that operating budgets diminish and you have an irreversible downward spiral.

What these magazines should have done from the beginning was to start cornering a place on the Internet and figuring out how to be a part of social networking... for example Airliners magazine could have bought out Airliners.net. If you look at what the Military Times has done with running a gigantic discussion board for servicemembers, that's a good long term move. Though I certainly admit a buyout is often not a good thing for a board if the buyer isn't intent on doing a good job shepherding their new acquisition.

[Edited 2010-03-30 13:45:24]

WESTERN737800

Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:40 pm

Quoting laca773 (Reply 11):
Airways magazine has gone down the tubes. It seems they have it in really good with someone at AS as they always have articles about them. Everything seems very mainstream and nothing of note anymore.

I've noticed this too. A while back I was going through my old Airways mags and it seemed like there was an article about AS every 2 or 3 issues. I like AS, but I would like to see articles about other airlines that I like too.
Bring back Western Airlines!

brooklynchris13

Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:11 pm

Agreed on the decline of Airliners. It seemed to have lost is focus, and, simulataneously a lot of its physical size and content. I also agree that this has been a challenging period for "special" magazines, however the internet and growth in new media also offers the chance to promote your magazine to target groups using the same media.

I also write, but for fire service related magazines, and the internet is truly a double edged sword. If you put out a consistently quality profuct that meets the demands of your most loyal customers, then you have a base form which to expand and develop your product. If you loose those folks, however, (as often happens when magazines, airlines, and other entities fail) then you hasten the demise of something that people used to love. Sad to see this happen with Airliners, but it also seems to have occured concurrently with their change in publishers a few years ago.

Perhaps they will figure out a way to right the ship...
"Be the change you want to see in the world" (mg)

Midway DC9-10

Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:28 pm

What I really loved about the old Airliners and Airways was their coverage stories of old airlines/airplanes. They would cover a story about a defunct airliners, and in the same article cover something in the present aviation scene. Plus, the photos were really sharp and precise in colors. I did notice a drop in quality for the photos for both magazines at one time. They both lost their creativity as well.

winglets747

Fri May 07, 2010 10:39 pm

As an Airliners contributor, let me shed some slight on this matter and answer some of your questions.

In late December Airliners switched editors, publishers, and office locations. Any one of those by itself is a huge extra burden, but combined--and with a looming deadline and the December holidays--threw the production schedule off track.

The priority for the Jan/Feb edition was to get it out as quickly as possible as it was quite late. In terms of work required per page, the photo news section is quite high. A decision was made to forgo that section for the issue in order to get it out fast. Given the number of people who have commented on that section not being in the most recent issue, I think the editorial board would have re-considered that decision in hindsight. The section will come back.

Another issue is going off to the press shortly (shameless self-plug: I have an article in it). The editorial board is catching up, but it is hard as they are used to putting out one issue every two months and now have to speed that up.

From what I understand we are looking into some very promising web developments. Stay tuned.

Please let me know any comments, questions, or feedback you have. We really do value it and appreciate your readership. Hang in there.
Stay hungry. Stay foolish.

444Pilot

Thu May 13, 2010 1:03 am

Are they still around :-0 ?

wireless615

Sun May 16, 2010 1:41 am

I purchase Airways & Airliners at Borders or Barnes & Noble, the last issue I purhcased was February 2010, today I vistied both stores, no copies were available, the clerk at Borders said "I heard they stopped publication." From a purchasers point of view the editorial board with readers best interests as well as the magazines reputation a brief article outlining upcoming publisihing changes and impact to the end user is a simple courtesy.

HBGDS

Wed May 19, 2010 3:49 am

Quoting rolypolyman (Reply 14):
As someone who writes for a non-aviation magazine I will say that times have gotten very tough for small traditional magazines over the past decade because of the rise of the Internet. This is especially true of aviation, where most subscribers are middle- to upper-class and have regular access to the Internet. For people accustomed to tons of realtime discussion on A.net, PPRUNE, etc, it's hard to embrace old-school magazines and that becomes increasingly true as we get used to all this new technology. The other problem too is that once subscriber numbers go down, then advertisers start bailing. This means that operating budgets diminish and you have an irreversible downward spiral.

I agree. The use of web-based discussions and info is also what killed the old standbys for MilAv (WIngs/Airpower). And this is not unique to Airlines/Airways. This is probably anathema on this list, but WWI Aero and its companion publication, Skyways (very good for early piston aviation) had to drop paper and go all pdf. It was the only way to survive when they experienced the rise in cost of printing. Two years back, I got my latest isue of Smithsonian Air&Space and was stunned to see the reduced numbers of pages, but also the shody paper quality; what kept me going back was the decent coverage beyond commercial aviation, just to keep abreast of what's going on. I still buy my mags and have a couple of subscriptions. Old habits from pre-internet days, but also, when there is no web access (rare, I concede), you can still get your info from the mags. sift screens instantly, instant reboot, and you can read it anywhere!  

Jokes aside, a bigger problem is that we all talk about this, but few of us contribute to the print publications. Granted, some editors are snotty, but if you have something solid to offer, they will consider it.

psa188

Fri May 21, 2010 6:20 pm

Quoting 444Pilot (Reply 19):
Another issue is going off to the press shortly (shameless self-plug: I have an article in it). The editorial board is catching up, but it is hard as they are used to putting out one issue every two months and now have to speed that up

This issue should be in the mail soon if not already. Like you said, December 2009 was a chaotic time for the magazine and they're still trying to get back on schedule.

BMI727

Sat May 22, 2010 7:24 am

Quoting PITrules (Thread starter):
Does anyone else think the magazine has gone downhill big time?

It has definitely become more of an industry publication than enthusiast recently. Kinda like Airways meets Aviation Week. That is interesting in its own way, at least for me.

Quoting aerdingus (Reply 6):
I think Airways is the better of the two.

I agree.

Quoting laca773 (Reply 11):
It seems they have it in really good with someone at AS as they always have articles about them.

Yeah, but flying in Alaska is pretty interesting. It seems that the pilot that wrote those now flies for Air Pacific, which presents some of the same challenges but in a warmer climate. He seems to do a lot of homework though, which makes it more interesting and less repetitive. The same thing can be said for the QR pilot that writes for them.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

psa188

Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:16 am

Quoting winglets747 (Reply 18):
Another issue is going off to the press shortly (shameless self-plug: I have an article in it). The editorial board is catching up, but it is hard as they are used to putting out one issue every two months and now have to speed that u

When I just got home from my vacation this afternoon, I found the new issue waiting in my mailbox. which article is yours?

winglets747

Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:53 am

Quoting psa188 (Reply 24):
When I just got home from my vacation this afternoon, I found the new issue waiting in my mailbox. which article is yours?

Hi Bill,
I'm Will Horton so the article on Eastar Jet is mine. In the past I've written about Jin Air, V Australia, Viva Macau, AirAsia X, Tiger Airways & the Going Green installments.

I hope my article is not of the style some users here have said they don't like. That said, if it is, please let us know your thoughts, what you like, what you don't like, what you do want to see, and anything else.

Without your feedback the editorial board is limited in what it thinks is good.

Losing photo news was a loss, but only a result of it being a lot of work per page for the editorial team. That said I'm very pleased to say we are (tentatively) bringing it back for the next edition. It won't be as big as it used to be, but we are working up to getting the section and the entire magazine to be bigger.

I'll pass on to the powers that be that you all would like articles on historical airlines. Am I right in saying you would like fewer people on the cover and more airplanes by themselves? Please do let us know.

Best regards,
Will
Stay hungry. Stay foolish.

psa188

Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:17 pm

Quoting winglets747 (Reply 25):
Losing photo news was a loss, but only a result of it being a lot of work per page for the editorial team. That said I'm very pleased to say we are (tentatively) bringing it back for the next edition. It won't be as big as it used to be, but we are working up to getting the section and the entire magazine to be bigger.

I know for a fact that photo news is coming back. Also look for some excellent coverage of Emirates in the next issue.

aerdingus

Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:16 pm

Am I right in saying you would like fewer people on the cover and more airplanes by themselves?

Absolutely.

AK

PITrules
Topic Author

Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:54 pm

I'll pass on to the powers that be that you all would like articles on historical airlines. Am I right in saying you would like fewer people on the cover and more airplanes by themselves? Please do let us know.

No composite images in general would be nice.

Yes, more articles and photos of a historical nature would be good, plus airport profiles. Less of the Going Green (they beat that stuff to death) type articles, which are readily available in publications such as ATW (which is free)
FLYi

United_fan

Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:53 pm

Quoting HBGDS (Reply 21):
The use of web-based discussions and info is also what killed the old standbys

True,but I have a stack on Airplane mags for 'toilette reading'  
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

aerdingus

Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:17 am

Or more about women in aviation. It always seems to be fellas in suits on the cover.

Thanks

psa188

Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:28 pm

More in-depth airport articles would be nice. Oh, that's right, I'm working on one.

wn700driver

Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:04 am

Quoting rolypolyman (Reply 14):
As someone who writes for a non-aviation magazine I will say that times have gotten very tough for small traditional magazines over the past decade because of the rise of the Internet. This is especially true of aviation, where most subscribers are middle- to upper-class and have regular access to the Internet. For people accustomed to tons of realtime discussion on A.net, PPRUNE, etc, it's hard to embrace old-school magazines and that becomes increasingly true as we get used to all this new technology.

True, true. But, my bathroom still doesn't have the internet, so there is still room in my life for Airliners, Airways, & Airliner World...
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

aerdingus

Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:50 pm

Quoting wn700driver (Reply 32):
True, true. But, my bathroom still doesn't have the internet, so there is still room in my life for Airliners, Airways, & Airliner World...

Ha ha brilliant, so true, must get a magazine rack for them all!

mtnwest1979

Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:07 pm

My first Airliners purchase was the Fall '90 edition, and Airways in 1195. I never subscribed to Airliners, but did the other. I would, however, get it at the bookstore when I saw it.
After years of subscribing, it got to the point of repetition, or cutting some of the parts I liked. So eventually, just didn't renew the subscription.
The last few times I have gone to bookstore, nary a sign of Airliners, and I still buy the Airways mag when it comes out, and I happen to cruise to the store.
I still enjoy pulling them off the shelf and thumbing thru them. Seems most often when i am trying to locate a fact or article I KNOW is in one of them, and spend hours trying to locate it LOL.
Some of my fav things are storiea about lesser known or smaller airlines, historical stories about airlines and airports, and of course pics of aircraft. However ( in the minority here I am sure) get tired of seeing the endless parade of specialty schemes that seem to prevail out there these days. Can't wait to see the airline that their whole fleet is a different scheme ( a la Western Pacific lol).
Anyway, I would like to see an article chronicaling the vast rise ( and fall) of the independant commuter airlines aroumd the nation in late 70s early 80s prior to codeshare whoring. I dlove to read about Mississsippi Valley, Air Illinois, Mountai n West (obviously  ) Cochise, etc. I guess this goes back to my love of the old Commuter Air magazine that used to be around 30 years ago.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

WA707atMSP

Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:15 pm

Quoting mtnwest1979 (Reply 34):
Anyway, I would like to see an article chronicaling the vast rise ( and fall) of the independant commuter airlines aroumd the nation in late 70s early 80s prior to codeshare whoring. I dlove to read about Mississsippi Valley, Air Illinois, Mountai n West (obviously ) Cochise, etc. I guess this goes back to my love of the old Commuter Air magazine that used to be around 30 years ago.

Fifteen years ago, R.E.G. Davies and I.E. Quastler wrote an entire book about this, "Commuter Airlines of the United States".

The book has three parts. Part I is a 150 page history of the commuter airlines from their inception to 1995. Part II is about 100 pages; it has 2-3 page profiles of two dozen men who founded commuter airlines. Part III is about 250 pages long; it has a history of how commuter airlines developed in every region of the USA, and has tables with basic information (date founded, fleet, cities served) about EVERY commuter airline in the USA.

This book is out of print, but it's not hard to find on line. It's an INCREDIBLE book - if you are interested in the commuter airline industry, I cannot recommend it highly enough!!!!!!!
Seaholm Maples are #1!

psa188

Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:36 pm

Well the new issue is out. I'd say it's the best one since ownership changed about three issues ago.

rampart

Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:01 am

Funny this topic came up, as I was thinking the same. I agree that Airliners seems to be going more industry and less enthusiast, and it just doesn't interest me as much. I still have the subscription, however... for now.

Quoting mtnwest1979 (Reply 34):
I dlove to read about Mississsippi Valley, Air Illinois, Mountai n West (obviously ) Cochise, etc. I guess this goes back to my love of the old Commuter Air magazine that used to be around 30 years ago.

An A.net member, AccessAir (one of my respected users!), did write articles on MVA, Britt, and Air Illinois in Airways, IIRC. They were good reads. I agree, I'd love to hear about the other airlines you and I remember, including Mountain West, Rocky Mountain, Aspen, Key, Pioneer, etc.

Quoting WESTERN737800 (Reply 15):
I've noticed this too. A while back I was going through my old Airways mags and it seemed like there was an article about AS every 2 or 3 issues. I like AS, but I would like to see articles about other airlines that I like too.

If you are refering to articles Mac Auf'Ur (I think I got that right), he's a regular contributor. He flew for AS, so naturally that is his frame of reference. He also flew for Frontier, which sometimes appears in stories. Personally, I love his articles, and look forward to them. Other regular authors do this as well, I don't mind.

-Rampart

psa188

Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:06 pm

Quoting rampart (Reply 37):
I agree that Airliners seems to be going more industry and less enthusiast, and it just doesn't interest me as much.

Although this is undeniable, I hope you'll have a look at the latest issue. I think that they're trying to strike more of a balance. Photo news is back, and there's an excellent piece on the restored EA DC-7. There is also a historical article on the SAAB Scandia.

But I don't think that the magazine would have survived this long if it had remained as a strictly hobby publication like it was in the 1990s. There are not enough "foamer" advertisers to continue to support the magazine. Lots of enthusiast activity has migrated to the internet, as the success of this site indicates.

PITrules
Topic Author

Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:19 am

Just received the latest issue (a couple weeks late it seems based on the last few replies).

MUCH improved; as long as it stays that way I'll keep subscribing. I hope the Reaching Back column returns
FLYi

isitsafenow

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:29 am

Its gone downhill so much I canceled last year.
Airways is getting better. They used to hom in the foreign carriers(non USA) but have changed a bit.
I now enjoy Airways mag.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

aerdingus

Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:59 am

Quoting isitsafenow (Reply 40):
Airways is getting better. They used to hom in the foreign carriers(non USA) but have changed a bit.
I now enjoy Airways mag.

Me too. Just got my new copy the other day, & have to say it was an improvement on top of the already good standard from them. Seems like they're getting new writers too, alongside the favourites, so it's a good mix.

USPIT10L

Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:31 pm

Quoting PITrules (Reply 39):
Just received the latest issue (a couple weeks late it seems based on the last few replies).

Where did you get it? I can't find it anywhere at Barnes & Noble or Borders. Too bad Reaching Back is gone. I loved Dave Nichols' columns. They were just about the first thing I'd read in each magazine.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

PITrules
Topic Author

Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:43 am

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 42):
Where did you get it? I can't find it anywhere at Barnes & Noble or Borders. Too bad Reaching Back is gone. I loved Dave Nichols' columns. They were just about the first thing I'd read in each magazine.

I'm a subscriber so got it in the mail. Reaching Back was not in the latest issue, however I just checked in the front of the issue where it lists the names of the editors, publishers, columnists, etc and Dave Nichols' name was still listed as one of three columnists, so hopefully he will be included in the future. He has some great stories to tell
FLYi

doug_or

Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:51 am

Quoting WA707atMSP (Reply 35):
This book is out of print, but it's not hard to find on line. It's an INCREDIBLE book - if you are interested in the commuter airline industry, I cannot recommend it highly enough!!!!!!!

Wow, I ordered this book online after reading this, and I can't put it down! This is exactly the kind of esoteric stuff I used to read Airliners for. I can log on to this site and get up to date info about orders, routes, new schemes, etc. This kind of detailed research is the type of content I am willing to pay for.
When in doubt, one B pump off

United_fan

Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:58 pm

Quoting wn700driver (Reply 32):

I know! I have a big 'ol stack on the back of my toilette . Take them when I go spotting @ the airport,too.
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

psa188

Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:19 pm

The new issue of Airliners is reported to be off the press and in the mail to subscribers. Has anybody received their copy yet?

PITrules
Topic Author

Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:10 am

Quoting psa188 (Reply 46):
The new issue of Airliners is reported to be off the press and in the mail to subscribers. Has anybody received their copy yet?

I just received mine; yet another editor change and yet another disappointment. This time its having articles/coverage which does not feature commercial aviation, such as pieces on:

-National Naval Aviation Museum
-A travel narrative on Bhutan
-"The Building of Trust in a Multicultural Management Relationship." While this can be applied to airlines, the article is generic and does not even use the airline industry as an example
-military items in a review on Farnborough.

Plus yet another feature on the EA DC-7. The 3rd article in as many issues. While it is a great story which should be told, its now overkill for this magazine. Also, composite photos continue to be a part of the magazine, including cover photo.

[Edited 2010-11-17 18:09:40]
FLYi

psa188

Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Thanks for the update. At least there was a good article on SJC.

Tango-Bravo

Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:37 am

Seems like both Airliners and Airways came to the point somewhere around the late '90s - early '00s of "grasping at straws" for articles of interest to airline/airliner history buffs like me...even the more contemporary news has, at least to me, tended to become largely focused on "so what?" subjects.

All of which is why I allowed my subscriptions to lapse long ago...whenever I see the covers of either or both (at newstands)showing the featured stories, I haven't been disappointed that I didn't renew.