csturdiv
Topic Author

Favorite Dangerous Airports In FS?

Mon May 03, 2010 8:24 pm

What are some of your favorite dangerous airports to fly into in FS? Last weekend I flew into Paro, Bhutan and the approach there was intense, mostly due to the FS9 ATC insisting on keeping me very high and making me do a nose dive to land there. But even later when doing VFR circuits there away from ATC control, it was challenging but fun, that curve around the mountain to make your final approach is sweet! I also like VNLK in nearby Nepal, great approach there as well. And one of my other favorite approaches is with the FlyTampa scenery for St. Maarten and the tiny Saba airport. All three have approaches that are "clenchers", even in FS9! For the Paro airport, there is a great freeware scenery on AVSIM and some good mesh files for the Himalayan Mountains on Flightsim.com that make the flight better than the default stuff.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

flymia

RE: Favorite Dangerous Airports In FS?

Mon May 03, 2010 9:54 pm

St. Barths and Saba are my two favorite. I have some pretty good freeware scenery for both the islands its a lot of fun flying a Cessna Caravan or other STOL aircraft into those places. Hopefully I find some good stuff online when I swtich to FSX those airports are just great.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

initious

Tue May 04, 2010 1:27 am

Kai Tak (with FlyTampa Kai Tak Scenery)
Paro
Saba (with FlyTampa scenery)
One day I will fly around the world!

Fabo

Tue May 04, 2010 2:12 am

Not that they are "dangerous" as such, but I would say Madeira 05, Kai Tak and Samedan. Sion and Innsbruck are quite impressive as well.
The light at the end of tunnel turn out to be a lighted sing saying NO EXIT

cpd

Tue May 04, 2010 2:58 am

Kai-tak is a nasty piece of work, especially in windy conditions. It can be very challenging.

Longhornmaniac

Tue May 04, 2010 11:18 am

I presume you've checked out Doherty's Difficult and Dangerous Approaches? There are some fun ones, and they should be available to download at Avsim.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

CPH-R

Tue May 04, 2010 12:11 pm

Pokhara to Jomsom, both in Nepal.

With the right scenery (Holger Sandman's nepal mesh & Einar Aarvik's Nepal airports), it's an absolute gem of a route to fly along. After taking off from from Pokhara and rising up to the hills, you usually fly westwards to pick up the Kali Gandaki (Gandaki river). There you turn north and follow the river through the Kali Gandaki Gorge, which is cut through a massive mountain massif. On your left you'll have Dhaulagiri at 8167 metres, and on your right you'll have the Annapurna Himal which is crowned by Annapurna I at 8091 metres.

Following the river bends, the gorge opens up right around Pokhara - but not enough to avoid you having to do a Kai Tak style approach, avoiding a huge hill just short of the runway 

kriso

Tue May 04, 2010 3:53 pm

I have find the approach for EKVG Faroe Islands to be challenging in anything larger than a twin-prop.

The approach starts at the outer marker which is located on an island, some 15nm from the airport. The approach then leads you in a somewhat narrow corridor, surrounded by high terrain, and in real life, with high chance of turbulence. The approach is offset 15 degrees, and you have to turn at the last minunte to line up with the runway.

United_fan

Tue May 04, 2010 7:04 pm

KASE Aspen,CO is a tough one.

filler
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

flymia

Tue May 04, 2010 7:12 pm

I just did Sun Valley/ Haily Idao KSUN in a Dash-8-300 and coming from the west its a pretty hard one. BOI-KSUN is a nice short flight.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

KevinL1011

Wed May 05, 2010 6:16 am

I haven't ventured beyond a 1 hour flight or so and my scenery preferences are set with priority in the S.W. USA where I live. San Diego Lindberg Field and Santa Catalina Island are both very challenging for me. I can get a C-172 or a heli in to Catalina , but forget anything fixed wing with a turbine! I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has landed @ Kai Tak and Lindberg Field as to if they are comparable.
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

thebatman

Fri May 07, 2010 7:32 am

Innsbruck, Austria (LOWI). Good times!   

Oh, almost forgot...Mountain Air, NC (2NC0) that's a zero, not an O by the way...  Smile

[Edited 2010-05-07 00:34:41]
Aircraft mechanics - because pilots need heroes too!

csturdiv
Topic Author

Fri May 07, 2010 7:11 pm

Last night I finally flew out of Paro with an Antonov An-140. Took me two attempts to get out of there, the first one resulted in a burning wreck on the side of the mountain. Second attempt was much better. I flew a short flight into Kathmandu, Nepal where I will spend a few days flying through that area, I am looking forward to visiting Lukla again, and I will check out both Pokhara and Jomsom as well.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

Fabo

Sun May 09, 2010 5:56 pm

Quoting kriso (Reply 7):
I have find the approach for EKVG Faroe Islands to be challenging in anything larger than a twin-prop.

Maybe I came in from the other side, but I felt approach was quite easy. Now, to depart, with quite full 737-700, plus fuel for 1300 miles, that was more challenging. Zero margins.

kriso

Mon May 10, 2010 4:49 am

Quoting Fabo (Reply 13):
Maybe I came in from the other side, but I felt approach was quite easy. Now, to depart, with quite full 737-700, plus fuel for 1300 miles, that was more challenging. Zero margins.

Well maybe my FS skills are not as good as yours, but lining up for rwy 13 in a 737 is hard, for me at least. Approach for 31 is easy, i give you that.

Fabo

Fri May 14, 2010 6:57 pm

Quoting kriso (Reply 14):
Well maybe my FS skills are not as good as yours, but lining up for rwy 13 in a 737 is hard, for me at least. Approach for 31 is easy, i give you that.

Its been a while. I cant really remember what weather it was...