navymmw
Topic Author

Buying A New Laptop

Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:09 pm

Hey everyone,

In the fall I will start attending UMASS Lowell, of course while attending college I will be using a laptop so I plan on purchasing a laptop in mid to late august, I want to start looking now however so I can make the best decision by then. What i'm looking for is a laptop for school work of course, but also a "decent" gaming laptop which can run FSX decently. I do not know that much about laptops such as how many cores FSX can run, how much RAM I should use etc... My budget is $1,000. Do you think that I could get a decent laptop which can run add ons such as PMDG in FSX decently?

thebatman

RE: Buying A New Laptop

Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:50 pm

I just picked up the Asus G73 gaming laptop. It's a little over your budget ($1,500) but it's got an Intel i7 Quad-Core processor, 8GB of RAM, a 640GB hard drive and the ATi Radeon HD 5870 video card. This thing runs FSX extremely well. I've run many different add-ons including PMDG, and it runs them all - no problem. If you can come up with the extra $500, I say it's definitely worth it.   
Aircraft mechanics - because pilots need heroes too!

EA CO AS

Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:57 pm

I've been eyeing this one for awhile:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114803

At $899, it's a good deal. You get your i7 Quad-Core, 4GB of ram, a 500GB hard drive but it has a 1GB Nvidia GT 330M, which I'm told isn't stellar. But then again, FSX is mostly CPU dependent, if I'm not mistaken. Not sure if this one will run FSX smoothly with all sliders maxed, but I'd imagine it would do a decent job.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

mmedford

Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:02 pm

See i prefer to take a different approach to this...

Why spend money like that on a notebook?

I'd buy a cheapie notebook/netbook for school...and build myself a true FSX desktop machine; something I can upgrade over-time. Buy a quality case, high end PSU, good drives...and you can upgrade your machine yearly for the latest and greatest, while reselling your "old" parts. Makes upgrading for minimal costs. Also You can get yourself some nice displays (I have dual 28" monitors in my setup, way better playing FS on that; then a 16" screen).

Remember heat is an issue with regards to notebooks, about 2 members have reported to me that their gpus have burned out.
ILS = It'll Land Somewhere

navymmw
Topic Author

Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:32 pm

How are the Sony VAIO laptops? They have a similar price as compared to asus etc with similar specs, plus it comes with free adobe software so that would be a nice addition.