RICBWI
Topic Author

Best Time To Be At LAX For Plane Spotting

Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:07 am

Hi gang,

Heading out to Los Angeles in early September for a football game at the LA Coliseum......trying to cram a lot into a tight schedule. What is the best time to be at LAX in terms of variety for plane spotting (i.e. foreign carriers).. I think it's spread out throughout the day but can anyone nail down a few hours as "the best"

Cheers!

flybaurlax

RE: Best Time To Be At LAX For Plane Spotting

Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:38 am

Lots of arrivals in the morning, with lots of heavies spread out throughout the day, but heavy international departures at night...especially Asia and Australia bound. You really can't go wrong at any time of day, as they are all spread out. I'm sure someone will show an exact schedule of arrivals/departures.
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

LAXintl

Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:55 am

A good time for the Imperial hill is noon'ish.

You get a good mix of heavy departures(many to Asia) between 1100-1400 plus pretty heavy domestic ops.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

mrskyguy

Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:54 am

Sepulveda is busy starting at about 7:30a, but it dies out around 2pm. That's usually when I head up to the hill.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee." -- Gunter's 2nd Law of Air

KevinL1011

Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:21 am

The eastern approach pattern to KLAX flies directly over KONT which is 5 miles directly south of my home and about 900 - 1,000ft lower in elevation. l often listen to So Cal Approach on my scanner and try to ID the aircraft from my patio. At this point, they are descending from approx. 10,000ft to 8,000ft and are lined up side by side for either north or south runways.

From my experience, Sunday after 4:00p until 8pm there's a steady two lane parade of aircraft maintaining a 4mi. separation in to KLAX. I'll continually see 8-10 approaching aircraft at a time during these hours.

Quoting mrskyguy (Reply 3):
Sepulveda is busy starting at about 7:30a, but it dies out around 2pm.

Since you are limited on time, I would say between 8:30a - 11:00a is prime time.
From the Coliseum, you can easily spot any trans-pacific heavies making the turn from north of downtown at altitudes below 3,000 ft. This is also the point where most skippers will drop the gear so bring binoculars.

I hope you enjoy your stay in LA!
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

RICBWI
Topic Author

Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:52 am

Great,

Thanks for everyone's responses. Looking forward to a good time.

laxboeingman

Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:41 pm

From what I have seen the best time for int'l carriers during the day is between 1 and 4 PM local time. There is a NZ 747 that arrives in the morning between 9-11 AM local time. Qantas has the A380 arrive at about 7:00 AM local time. At night, however, there is more variety, CX has flights that are scheduled to arrive at about 10 PM local time, LH has a late afternoon-early evening flight. VS has flt 23 come in in the late afternoon to early evening, I believe starting at 4. Korean has flights all day but especially at about mid-morning and late-evening. Asiana has an early afternoon flight, AF has an arrival at about 4 PM local time with a BA 747 scheduled to depart a few minutes before that. The cargo planes come all day but they normally get there in the early morning, UPS comes at about 4 PM local time, FX has a three engine depart at about 4:00 PM, there is a World Air Cargo 747 that is there and is packing for departure, I believe in the early morning.

Sorry for the long answer but in a nut shell 7-11 AM and 4-10 PM. The observation deck is open only on the weekends, but I forgot the hours, sorry. I hope that you have a good time.

laxboeingman
The opinions I post are mine and not of any organization I am affiliated with.