BA174
Topic Author

Concorde G-BOAF In Official 2012 Livery (model)

Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:27 pm

http://shop.london2012.com/London-20...gid=Collectables+Die+Cast+Vehicles

Couldn't think of anything worse to see poor fox painted in. No doubt the save Concorde group 2012 aims have lead to this model being produced. Shame it's not going to happen...... They should have looked this up before producing the model.

Vasu

RE: Concorde G-BOAF In Official 2012 Livery (model)

Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:47 pm

That really is quite a sad sight...

On a separate note, does anyone know if the Concorde (in any shape or form... hopefully not with this nasty paintscheme) will feature in the 2012 festivities?

[Edited 2011-01-29 09:14:01 by srbmod]

bohica

Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:50 pm

Is there any way for me to describe how awful that looks without the moderators deleting my post for improper content?

BA174
Topic Author

RE: Concorde G-BOAF In Official 2012 Livery (model

Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:33 pm

Quoting Vasu (Reply 1):

It is impossible or nigh on. Even if a very generous group of people gave it the 20 million that it needs it would still be very difficult to have it operating in time for the London 2012 festivities.

Even if it could be done I would bet being the official sponsor airline of the games that BA would require it in full BA livery and the chance if seeing it in that are virtually zero.

[Edited 2011-01-29 07:35:08]

jayeshrulz

Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:43 pm

Ahahaha, that's the most crappiest thing that could happen to the Concorde!! xD!

PS:- Did anyone notice the "xxx" paint there? xD!

[Edited 2011-01-29 07:47:06]
Keep flying, because the sky is no limit!

heathrow

Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:46 pm

Very misleading title....I think model should be further forward in the title.

What an insult to the aircraft! Very sad indeed.....

BA174
Topic Author

Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:54 pm

Quoting heathrow (Reply 5):

Very misleading title....I think model should be further forward in the title.

What an insult to the aircraft! Very sad indeed.....

���¦������±���½���º���¿���������¹���

I've just thought that myself after re-reading it. It is however utter gash and hard on the eye even worse than that pepsi incarnation.

vv701

Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:07 pm

It's a toy for kids.

http://shop.london2012.com/London-20...llectables%20Die%20Cast%20Vehicles

If you search the world's toy shops you will find a huge number of equally awful 'models' designed for young kids to play with. Some of the London taxi will be a lot closer to the shape of a real taxi than that in the set depicted above. So let's not get too worked up over this monstrosity.

Quoting jayeshrulz (Reply 4):
PS:- Did anyone notice the "xxx" paint there?

Yes. The 2012 London Summer Olympic Games are the 30th Modern Olympiad - hence the Roman numeral 'XXX' on this toy.

BA174
Topic Author

Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:23 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 7):
It's a toy for kids.

http://shop.london2012.com/London-20...llectables%20Die%20Cast%20Vehicles

If you search the world's toy shops you will find a huge number of equally awful 'models' designed for young kids to play with. Some of the London taxi will be a lot closer to the shape of a real taxi than that in the set depicted above. So let's not get too worked up over this monstrosity.

Quoting jayeshrulz (Reply 4):
PS:- Did anyone notice the "xxx" paint there?

Yes. The 2012 London Summer Olympic Games are the 30th Modern Olympiad - hence the Roman numeral 'XXX' on this toy.

The droop nose is terrible quality most notably. Not sure it's for kids as it's di-cast.

Anymore news on the real G-BOAF?

vv701

Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:28 pm

Quoting BA174 (Reply 8):
The droop nose is terrible quality most notably. Not sure it's for kids as it's di-cast.

Have you looked at the Routemaster, the Taxi and the Mini in my link? Can you imagine any serious model collector wanting to add any one of these four toys to an adult collection? To me they all look pretty shoddy and not worth £10 each.

KGRB

Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:29 pm

Seriously? You folks are getting this worked up over a toy??? I think we all need to lighten up around here.  

...And, for the record, I think it looks quite nice, actually.

Quoting BA174 (Reply 8):
Not sure it's for kids as it's di-cast.

Sure it is. All kinds of toys are die-cast. Matchbox cars is one example.
Flown on 9E/AA/AL/CP/DL/EV/HP/MQ/NW/PT/OO/OH/UA/US/XJ/YV/YX/ZW

contrails15

Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:29 pm

Forget the freakin plane. This is the logo and colors they came up with for the Olympics. Good lord.   
Giants football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nqyguy

Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:11 pm

Quoting BA174 (Reply 8):
Anymore news on the real G-BOAF?

Currently sat alongside the runway at FZO, was due in to maintenance with Airbus recently but it was still outside in it's 'exhibition' status as of three weeks ago when I was there.

The 'exhibition' is no longer supported by Airbus, so public tours have ceased.

http://heritageconcorde.com/?page_id=3590

BA174
Topic Author

Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:23 pm

Quoting NQYGuy (Reply 12):
Currently sat alongside the runway at FZO, was due in to maintenance with Airbus recently but it was still outside in it's 'exhibition' status as of three weeks ago when I was there.

The 'exhibition' is no longer supported by Airbus, so public tours have ceased.

http://heritageconcorde.com/?page_id=3590

Thats a shame especially after all the work that went into getting the cabin air conditioning back working again a couple of years ago. Anyone know what the maintenance is or when it is due back into the brabazon hanger?

delimit

Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:36 pm

I had always thought Concorde could make anything look good. How sad to be proven wrong.

jfklganyc

Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:42 pm

A question for all the Brits on here:

I notice this obsession with the Concorde. Yes, in the US we put a "the" in front of it.

If this plane is such a national jewel, why didn't they keep one running just for national events? It seems ridiculous that something of such national pride that it makes it into Olympic toys for kids who will never know the thing as anything more than a page in a history book would be mothballed.

heathrow

Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:50 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 15):
If this plane is such a national jewel, why didn't they keep one running just for national events? It seems ridiculous that something of such national pride that it makes it into Olympic toys for kids who will never know the thing as anything more than a page in a history book would be mothballed.

Upon retirement, it was said that it would be flown for special occasions. There have been talks about them flying for 2012, AF has something like 7 engines in maintenece IIRC.

Quoting BA174 (Reply 6):
I've just thought that myself after re-reading it. It is however utter gash and hard on the eye even worse than that pepsi incarnation.

I actually quite liked the pepsi one, just for that shocking blue colour! I am a coke fan myself, but neither belongs on that beautiful bird. Only white with AF or BA   Sorry to those SQ and BN Concorde supporters....it's just not the same.

Wonder if w'd ever see a model of her in a CO livery?   

EGTESkyGod

Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:52 pm

Quoting BA174 (Thread starter):
Couldn't think of anything worse to see poor fox painted in. No doubt the save Concorde group 2012 aims have lead to this model being produced. Shame it's not going to happen...... They should have looked this up before producing the model.

As much as they have their failings, you're being very cynical... Why would Save Concorde Group want it painted in this travesty?! And no, they are not planning to do so. It's a toy...

Quoting Vasu (Reply 1):
On a separate note, does anyone know if the Concorde (in any shape or form... hopefully not with this nasty paintscheme) will feature in the 2012 festivities?

Discussed to death recently. No.

Quoting BA174 (Reply 3):
Even if a very generous group of people gave it the 20 million that it needs it would still be very difficult to have it operating in time for the London 2012 festivities.

£20million? Kidding, right? Add a zero on the end of that figure and you might be nearer the ballpark.

Quoting BA174 (Reply 8):
Not sure it's for kids as it's di-cast.

Again, you're kidding, right? Every kid I knew had die-cast toys when they were little, I even had a Concorde exactly like this except with the Landor livery on it.

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 15):
A question for all the Brits on here:

I notice this obsession with the Concorde. Yes, in the US we put a "the" in front of it.

Because the vast expense outweighs the "national pride" aspect of keeping one flying. It was found the cost to keep one flying in a Heritage Role was almost the same as keeping the whole fleet running in airline service. If it got too expensive to run 5 Concordes, it sure as hell would be too expensive to fly 1. And there is no "the" in front of Concorde...  
I came, I saw, I Concorde! RIP Michael Jackson

BA174
Topic Author

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:27 pm

Quoting heathrow (Reply 16):
Only white with AF or BA

The BA Chatham wins it for me next to be followed by Landor and then AF. I have never been a fan of BAs Negus Concorde livery but then again I wasn't around to see it.

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 17):
Again, you're kidding, right? Every kid I knew had die-cast toys when they were little, I even had a Concorde exactly like this except with the Landor livery on it.

Mostly pastic stuff now. BA did a kids Concorde when it retired and it was plastic.

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 17):
£20million? Kidding, right? Add a zero on the end of that figure and you might be nearer the ballpark

Les Brodie qouted 15 million a few years ago and an engineer at Farnborough gave me the 20mil figure.

EGTESkyGod

Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:02 am

Quoting BA174 (Reply 18):
Les Brodie qouted 15 million a few years ago and an engineer at Farnborough gave me the 20mil figure.

You're right, Les Brodie quoted £15 million pounds back in 2003/4. However, this was when all the infrastructure was still in place, all the OEM's were still in existance, all the parts and spares were catalogued, certified and accounted for, all the engineers/flight crew were still validly and currently rated on type... need I continue? 7 years down the line with the aircraft decommissioned, the OEM's long since extinct, the parts and spares auctioned off and therefore no longer "airworthy", engineers/flight crew reaching retirement age or moving on to other types lacking the time to indulge on such a project, and that's all before talking about Type Certificates, CofA's, etc.

Christian (the Dutch guy on ConcordeSST and, before he got banned last week, Save Concorde Group forums) worked on the development of Concorde and did his own "back of an envelope" rough estimate and being very generous came up with a figure nearer to £150million. Concorde engineers themselves and people in the Concorde community come up with a similar figure, I remember talking about it at length during the times I got to help out with the restoration of G-BBDG at Brooklands with Gordon Roxburgh and the rest of the guys, while on a private all-access tour of G-BOAC with Paul Heslop at Manchester, while on a private all-access tour of F-WTSS and F-BTSD last year with Laurent/Alexandria who look after them both... During all of these talks the figure of £15-20million has long since been dismissed as an unrealistic figure nowadays, but it is all academic unless a technical study is carried out to figure out an exact cost and let's face it, that's not going to happen is it.

Quoting heathrow (Reply 16):
Upon retirement, it was said that it would be flown for special occasions. There have been talks about them flying for 2012, AF has something like 7 engines in maintenece IIRC.

Not quite. A feasibility study was conducted by British Airways in 2003 to see what it would cost to keep a Concorde in flying condition for heritage purposes, however as I stated above it was found the cost to maintain a single Concorde in this role was almost the same as maintaining a whole fleet in airline service, a cost which had become prohibitive due to Air France's withdrawal.

The topic of Concorde flying at the Olympics in 2012 was discussed to death here: Concorde At Olympics 2012? (by Bennett123 Jan 11 2011 in Civil Aviation)

Let's keep this thread away from that.
I came, I saw, I Concorde! RIP Michael Jackson