alberchico
Topic Author

New Aviation Magazine Set To Debut....

Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:51 am

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...redgwell/DSCF5731.jpg?t=1295548197

Just picked up a copy here at Barnes and Noble in NYC and it looks great ! Nice glossy pictures, fascinating articles and some interesting stuff for next months issue. This is apparently their first issue so there does not appear to be a website yet. But definitely a great buy !!!
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

KingFriday013

RE: New Aviation Magazine Set To Debut....

Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:09 pm

Someone in the UK pointed this out to us in the chat room a week or two ago. Looks like it would be a good read. I'll look for it next time I end up in a bookstore.

-J.
Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you, By the livin' Gawd that made you, You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

GBLKD

Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:10 pm

I have it.

Very good indeed, I will be buying it again.

alberchico
Topic Author

Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:00 am

I remember that several years ago a magazine debuted with a similar layout to Airways but went bust after 2 years.

Lets hope this one has better luck......
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

Tommy Mogren

Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:35 pm

The latest issue (March 2011) has a nice article on BA's B757's...
including some great photos!

I'm happy to have been flying them.

Tommy Mogren
Flightdeck Action - Cockpit Videos on Blu-ray and DVD - Flights In The Cockpit- You're Invited!

alberchico
Topic Author

Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:51 pm

Just to provide an update the April issue of the magazine just came out...

airbalticfan

Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:08 am

Is this new magazine more "military"than 'commercial" ?

alberchico
Topic Author

Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:55 am

It does tend to have more emphasis on military aviation than civil ....

airbalticfan

Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:48 pm

Quoting alberchico (Reply 7):
It does tend to have more emphasis on military aviation than civil ....

Thank you Sir!

alberchico
Topic Author

Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:38 am

Looking through this magazine more closely I have to say it dosen't have anything that makes it stand out from the competition.

Airliner World already has good coverage of all aspects of civil aviation and for modern military aviation you have Air Forces Monthly.

Aircraft Magazine does a much better job covering classic aircraft and history. Jets Monthly is obviously pandering to the military crowd. The problem is that there is another magazine out there that closely matches its content:

http://www.sampublications.com/frames/mam_out_f.htm

Not to mention the fact that it being a UK publication makes it more expensive here in the States.
As much as I want this newcomer to succeed it just dosen't impress me. One aviation magazine that always impresses me is this:

http://www.airspacemag.com/

airbalticfan

Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:41 pm

It's all good to know, I am not a military aviation guy, military always has made me goose bumps as I see it as violent group/structure even I understand that we need them to be protected.I served in military back in a day for 2 years, which was a mandatory for a country I lived at that moment.I hated every day I was forced to be there! I am all about peace and that is why I only like commercial/business and GA aircraft.
So I will stick with Airways/Airliners/Flying/Airliner World and Airports.....I hardly can read all them in one month!  

alberchico
Topic Author

Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:34 pm

Anybody else notice theres WAY too emphasis on military aviation with respect to books and magazines ?

It seems that civil aviation material is at best a tiny niche compared to the volumes of military material you will find at a local bookstore.

Remember when MBI and Specialty Press (which has now stopped publishing) made excellent titles on civil aviation ?

Times have changed

Remember there was a time when model kit makers used to make airliners ?    

airbalticfan

Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:51 am

Quoting alberchico (Reply 11):
Anybody else notice theres WAY too emphasis on military aviation with respect to books and magazines ?

Sir, you are 100% right, now military stuff dominates in all aspects of our lives, it is sad to see that "military" stuff has been stuffed down our throats no matter where we go!

Aleksandar

Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:27 pm

Quoting alberchico (Reply 3):
I remember that several years ago a magazine debuted with a similar layout to Airways but went bust after 2 years.

I used to write for that magazine and now, I can only hope and pray that this owner never, ever starts any magazine. He still owes me money, he used photos without any agreement, in fact, stole them from the net. As far as I remember, it lasted less than two years.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

AirUtopia

Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:42 am

I believe Airline Review lasted 2-3 issues. It was a disaster due to the misspelling of Qantas (spelled Quantas) on their front cover.

But the lack of payment or crediting was due to the financial bankruptcy and the lack of money in the end.

Their cover artwork though I felt were good.

Nothing is every easy....
Ambassadors to Aviation

alberchico
Topic Author

Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:40 am

Just to provide an update their new issue is out and it certainly looks like more emphasis is being placed on civil aviation

alberchico
Topic Author

Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:23 am

new issue out

n471wn

Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:59 pm

Does anyone know if World Airline Fleet News is still being published---I have not received an issue since January

flywrite

Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:31 pm

Quoting alberchico (Reply 11):

It seems that civil aviation material is at best a tiny niche compared to the volumes of military material you will find at a local bookstore.

This is something we're trying to do something about. I'm not allowed to advertise on here, but check out Destinworld Publishing, and if any of you out there are writers, we are looking to publish new civil aviation books!

Keeping on topic, I have read Jets Monthly and found it very interesting. I agree that it has a lot of (good) competition in the form of Airliner World, Aircraft etc. But let's hope they do well as I found some of their articles very interesting. They seem to have historic civil features, which is always good in my book.

Matt