kaitak
Topic Author

Hong Kong Spotters Question: Photos From Lantau I.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:59 pm

I've seen a lot of wonderful photos from HK Airport, which makes it my No1 "dream location", but looking at the ways to get to the island, it seems quite difficult. I had a look at this website:

http://www.hkplanes.com/newguide/location9.html

which is great, but dates back to 2007 and I was wondering if there were any better ways to get there; the journey from the airport to the island via an uninsured ferry (even if it's a very short distance!) doesn't look very enticing!

However, for photos like these, I'm prepared to make a big effort!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Chris Junker

View Large View Medium

Photo © K.L.Yim

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jerry Pang

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jerry Pang

I'm just wondering if there are alternatives by land; for example, if one were to try to reach the Lantau Island North Country Park, from Tung Chung, is there a better way to go - for example by taxi or a place to park and then walk to the viewing areas?

Any HK people know the best way to get here?

mdavies06

RE: Hong Kong Spotters Question: Photos From Lantau I.

Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:22 am

Hi,

Not really been to location 9 but if I have to approach that area (again I don't know how close you have to get to 07R), have you considered using the North Lantau country park trail which goes along the Northern part of the Island, stretching west from Tung Chung? There is a spot (around GPS location 22.287826,113.913546 give or take a few hundred yards) where there is a resting spot which gives good scenery of the airport. There is a shaded post and some rows of seats. There are usually some people (mostly hikers and locals) around the area so you are not alone (but it is not crowded, at least not by Hong Kong's standard). On a day with good visibility (i.e. not hazy) the view is pretty good for 07R and for take off shots of 25L.

kaitak
Topic Author

RE: Hong Kong Spotters Question: Photos From Lantau I.

Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Thanks for that; I thought there might be a track of some sort, but it's hard to see on Google maps!