Topic Author

Should I Buy This Book?

Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:35 pm

I am currently considering buying the 3 volume hardcover set of '' A Man on the Moon'' by Andrew Chaikin. It claims to have over 500 lavish illustrations but is a bit pricey. Most of the reviews on Amazon seem to be about the cheaper paperback version.

Is this a good buy or should I stick with the cheaper paperback ?

Does anybody have the boxed set who can comment ?
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

RE: Should I Buy This Book?

Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:34 am

The paperback is a wonderful read. I can't vouch for the illulstrations in the 3 volume set you're talking about, but you might want to consider an alternative: the DVD series "From the Earth to the Moon." It's "loosely" based on the Chalkin book, and Ron Howard and Tom Hanks are among the producers. (Hanks introduces each of the 12 episodes on this boxed 5 DVD set.) It's an HBO Production. Well worth the money! And the "scenery" and special effects are, well, out of this world!  

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:17 pm

Quoting alberchico (Thread starter):
but is a bit pricey.

Why don't you buy it used? Prices are listed as low as $0.78!

I do always purchase used books - it's cheaper and still it's a book.

Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:41 pm

Moonfire by Norman Mailer - the fully illustrated one - is extraordinary. I must have given five copies as gifts - BA capt for upgrade, my Dad's birthday, you name it.

Thanks for bringing A Man On The Moon to my attention, obviously the granddaddy of the genre.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz