ZKNCL
Topic Author

Do You Re-classify Your Aircraft In FS?

Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:04 am

This is just a sort of Flight Simulator Poll. Well every time I download or purchase an aircraft I always re-classify it into it's correct manufacture and type of aircraft, do you too?

EXCEPTION: when ever I make a repaint I always classify it under SkySim

phatfarmlines

RE: Do You Re-classify Your Aircraft In FS?

Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:10 pm

I like to classify mine by manufacturer & model as well, but I can also see why ppl would want to classify by designer group as it is easier to identify & apply updates if needed.

Longhornmaniac

Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:40 pm

I classify by Airline.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

ZKNCL
Topic Author

Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:04 pm

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 2):
I classify by Airline.

That's an interesting idea

UltimateDelta

Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:06 am

Yes. I hate it when I forget, and then my new 777 (for example) isn't with the rest of my Boeing fleet where I expect it to be.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

ZKNCL
Topic Author

Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:24 am

Quoting UltimateDelta (Reply 4):
Yes. I hate it when I forget, and then my new 777 (for example) isn't with the rest of my Boeing fleet where I expect it to be.

Same here, I really do hate it

wilco737

Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:16 pm

Good question. I don't even know how to do that  I just put them in the aircraft folder and look for them on FS then...

wilco737

Longhornmaniac

Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:38 pm

If you go into the folders of the individual aircraft, and find their aircraft.cfg files, you can edit them there.

In the [fltsim.x] section, you can find some headings, including:

ui_manufacturer
ui_type
ui_variation

These change where they show up in your Aircraft menu in FS. ui_manufacturer is the highest division (what might be Boeing, Airbus, Bombardier etc...), ui_type would be the aircraft (737, 747, A320 etc...), and ui_variation is usually the paint scheme.

I've changed it such that ui_manufacturer is the airline (American Airlines, British Airways, Continental), ui_type is stillt he aircraft type, and ui_variation is any defining characteristics (whether it's a special paint scheme, a developer, or something like that).

So I might have American Airlines->Boeing 757-200->American POSKY (for Project Open Sky), or American QW (for Quality Wings).

Works really well for me.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

wilco737

Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:42 am

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 7):

Alright, I might try that later that day.

Thanks

wilco737

cpd

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:01 am

I tend to avoid touching those - for fear of messing up or complicating the procedure of adding repaints. (Since repaints might not have the modifications).

I only fly a few planes (B747/Concorde - and rarely MD-11) so I can find them quickly enough.

csturdiv

Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:18 pm

if you fear editing the aircraft.cfg files manually, you can use a program called ACA2005 to do it via a GUI interface. It is a very useful utility that can scan for errors in your aircraft.cfg file and if you have an advanced setup for AI aircraft, it can generate a time table of an airport as well as show you if the aircraft is assigned to a flightplan.

You can download it from http://aifs2.pvdveen.net/

I keep all of my aircraft sorted by manufacture and then by model. As for the AI aircraft, I have them listed by the group that made the model, but I use another utility that edits the .air file for the model that will hide it from display in my list of flyable aircraft so that I do not accidently fly it.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

initious

Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:32 pm

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 6):
Good question. I don't even know how to do that  I just put them in the aircraft folder and look for them on FS then...

I do that too!

I just browse through my looooooooong list of aircraft folders (with tons of aircrafts that are faulty / unused) and I already remember the approximate location of each and every aircraft I use frequently from the Wilco 737 PIC, Airbus Series 1 & 2, PMDG MD-11, 744... etc.
One day I will fly around the world!

Doona

Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:27 pm

I used to do it, but after spending a few days downloading and installing ALL of the World of AI packages, after which I noticed the ENOURMOUS amount of "manufacturers", i.e. designers and various variation on manufacturer names, I just got discouraged...   

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

cpd

Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:54 pm

Quoting csturdiv (Reply 10):
if you fear editing the aircraft.cfg files manually, you can use a program called ACA2005 to do it via a GUI interface.

I know my way around FSX quite well - so not bother there, I just prefer to keep things simple.  

ZKNCL
Topic Author

Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:05 am

Quoting Doona (Reply 12):
I used to do it, but after spending a few days downloading and installing ALL of the World of AI packages, after which I noticed the ENOURMOUS amount of "manufacturers", i.e. designers and various variation on manufacturer names, I just got discouraged...

Just replace all the AIR Files so they don't appear in the menu

Northwest727

Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:04 pm

I reclassify/rename them as well. Its pretty annoying seeing a "Piper Saratoga", then "Just Flight Flying Club Piper Saratoga"