Aeri28
Topic Author

Speaking Of Air New Zealand....

Thu May 17, 2012 8:13 am

I received this little guy from Air New Zealand in the late 70s when I was a kid in Los Angeles calling all those international airlines and getting freebies , timetables , posters etc. They were generous in those days...

anyway, this little guy was sent to me from Air New Zealand and I must have had about 3 or 4, but this one has literally been on my person since the 70s because I always have and do carry a duffle, or briefcase or backpack and my check book and other items are carried in a specific zip pouch, and this too is in it because I just dont throw things away. I guess it's become a sort of good luck charm.

Any significance of this little character? Anybody else have one? It's a small very hard plastic tiki in green with red eyes. The back says air new zealand in old style font and is worn. I could never bear to give it away, it's just simply in my items each day. Thought I'd share this cool item.

kiwiinoz

RE: Speaking Of Air New Zealand....

Thu May 17, 2012 9:34 am

That little guy is a Tiki. He is a Maori pendant, traditionally carved out of greenstone and worn around the neck. I was taught that they serve as a memorial to ancestors

There is an amusing reference to the Air New Zealand tikis in this 42 below ad satirising the distorted global view of New Zealand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZFUZjexzws