mikedlayer
Topic Author

Airband Scanners At FRA

Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:34 pm

Hi all,

I'm travelling to FRA for a spotting trip this weekend, and heard a few rumours floating around that airband scanners are highly illegal to possess and operate over there. This being my first trip I thought I would ask if anyone knows the definitive answer or has any experience with them over there?

I will mainly be on the observation deck which I understand you have to go through security screening to be allowed out there - obviously may not help matters if I have a radio scanner with me.

Thanks
Mike.

Burkhard

RE: Airband Scanners At FRA

Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:43 am

Indeed, in Germany it is forbidden to listen to any communication that you are not an intended participant. So if you are practising for a pilot license, or in a flight school, you are intended audience, if not then you aren't. You can expect that police will take the receiver if you use it and you will be fined. Further away from the airport ( 5m out of the fence) I have seen many people to listen.

MHG

Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:10 pm

Well, the funny point is:
Possession of these scanners is not illegal - just using them if you´re not eligible is ...
So, even if passing through a security checkpoint that´s no issue.

As a personal note:
I don´t see a great risk if you use it discreetly (e.g. using an earplug) - and more importantly you do not disclose any transmissions to other people !

Still, I do not encourage you using an airband scanner in Germany - due to the legel issue.
If you do use one - remember you´re in sort of a "grey zone"
I miss the sound of rolls royce darts and speys

larshjort

Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:43 pm

If you find your way to Denmark then it's legal to listen, but illegal to disclose any information to other people.

/Lars
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

Burkhard

Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:15 am

So you may take your camera out, but not say "Hey, an A380 had a diversion and will land in three minutes". Crazy world...

ajd1992

Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:49 pm

For what it's worth, it's just as illegal in the UK as well they just overlook people using them.