propilot83
Topic Author

LAX Air Park

Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:36 am

I visited the LAX air park at LAX airport in Los Angeles, California near runway 24R on July 14, 2012 and in order to get a good view of the airplane departures from Dockweiler Beach on the west end of the airport, there has to be nearly close to 0 visibility, because I hate it when the haze and onshore clouds come forth on land and have a very low ceiling, and that blots out the view of the departing airplanes from LAX. Watching the landings from the IN-N-OUT burger near the LAX air park close to runway 24R is never a problem when it comes to haze and clouds. But when I visited the west end of the airport near Dockweiler Beach at LAX today 07-21-12, once again the haze and clouds were hovering at a low ceiling, but later at around 5pm, the haze cleared and the view was spectacular for a good one hour, however not too many planes were departing then, it seems like at LAX a lot of heavy jetliners (i.e. 777, 747, 767, MD-11, etc.) depart around 1000 hours to 1500 hours and from about 1500 hours to 1800 hours the heavy jetliners arrive at LAX also using runway 24R. Its amazing when the wing tip vorticies blow you near the ground after the plane lands on runway 24R. Its dangerous, I almost got wacked big time by the wake turbulence standing on the LAX air park field (grass). Unfortunately when I visited the air park today, runway 24R was temporarily closed due to maintenance service. But I had a great time, LAX airport is awesome, mostly because the mighty Pacific Ocean sits right to the west end of the airport, and the scenery could not be more beautiful than seeing a huge 747-400 departing with air condensation coming off its wings on a clear bright sunny day at LAX. I will hopefully God Willing, visit it again in late August, where the onshore clouds wont be there because of the high pressure system that hits the inland empire. Any one visited the LAX air park? share your story, I wonder if there is a place to watch the planes land near runway 25R and 25L?

Braniff747SP

RE: LAX Air Park

Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:44 pm

Quoting propilot83 (Thread starter):
25R and 25L

Flight Path museum is on the tarmac: www.flightpath.us

There is also Imperial Hill.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

propilot83
Topic Author

Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:38 am

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 1):
Flight Path museum is on the tarmac: www.flightpath.us

Yea thanks for the info, I actually did drive by the flight museum on my way to Dockweiler Beach, and I did notice the building, appreciate the info and will definitely check out the museum on my next visit.

There is also Imperial Hill.

Very nice indeed! Well definitely also check it out on my next visit. Thanks again bro!

Braniff747SP

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:38 pm

Quoting propilot83 (Reply 2):
Very nice indeed! Well definitely also check it out on my next visit. Thanks again bro!

Not a problem at all. Always willing to serve as my local airport's ambassador on Airliners.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!