pecoua
Topic Author

Printing Decals

Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:17 pm

Hi Everyone....

I would like to know the best printer to purchase that will print out high quality decals...my printer is a Lexmark and it printed out a terrible copy of an airline decal, and that was with new color cartridges installed. Any info would be appreciated and thanks!!!!!

nickh

RE: Printing Decals

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:17 am

I have always had good luck with Canon and Epson printers for their ink quality and resolutions. Obviously, good quality paper is a must.

A good quality 4-cartridge (CYMK color spread) printer would be ideal, you can find entry desktop models for a reasonable $300 range + ink and good quality paper.

What sort of problems are you seeing specifically, as in color bleeding, smearing, smudging, etc.?

-Nick
"We all have wings, but some of us don't know why..."

CairnterriAIR

Sun May 05, 2013 3:30 pm

What he said above me. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ I agree with Epson printers and had good luck using Papillo inkjet clear waterslide decal paper...item # IAS8511KK. After printing the images, let the paper sit for about 10 minutes before touching. I would also spray a clear glosscoat spray (Testors #D1261T) evenly over the paper before using. Worked perfectly for me. Good luck with your project.

nickh

Mon May 06, 2013 9:28 pm

Just a little bit of trivia for those of you who like that sort of thing:

The company, Seiko/EPSON got it's name from the first Electronic Printer (depending on who it is that you ask, it was called either the EP-1 or the EP-101) -- EP(SON) was the second generation of the Electronic Printer, called "EP's Son", hence EPSON.

Here is a web site with some details:

http://www.thocp.net/companies/epson/epson_company.htm

There are other web sites that mention the history of Epson, look around.

I remember back in the very early 1980s, I used to own an EPSON MX-80 (80-column 5x7 dot-matrix printer -- I think that it was rated at 40-characters per second). I must have printed hundreds of reams of code on that thing -- 80-column and then with special software for my PC, 132-columns on Green-and-White fan-fold-feed paper.

(sigh) -- Those were the days. The cloth + nylon ribbons on the Epson MX and then the later FX, would last forever, and you could always go the cheap route and re-ink the ribbons with cheap ink bottle, that you could buy from your local computer enthusiast and/or hobby store.

Well, ok, enough 'nostalgia' before I start getting depressed about my age.

-Nick
"We all have wings, but some of us don't know why..."