rolypolyman
Topic Author

Wanted: Scanner For 1970s Era Aeronautical Charts

Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:32 pm

I'm about to offload a bunch of old 1960s-1980s aeronautical publications later this year. However I'm feeling that some of this stuff is historical and that I should make some sort of effort to preserve it in a digital form. The majority of it is Air Force terminal publications from around the world, like 1982 approach plates worldwide, but I've also got a ton of large charts like TPCs, JOGs, and Pacific LORAN aeronautical charts. These items are not possible to FOIA from DMA/NIMA, and the Perry Castaneda online collection only has about half of the charts I have. There's also some 1980s and early 1990s FAA plates and charts, too.

So.... I'm wondering if any a.netter is able to loan out for a few months an autofeed scanner that is actually capable of feeding the light newsprint stock used by terminal publications, and/or any large format (48") scanners for the big maps. Alternately I can send batches of items for scanning if anyone is motivated enough for something like this.

I'm not sure this is worth the expense of buying a scanner off eBay, but if someone has an interest in having digital versions of these items and actually has access to a scanner, maybe we can figure something out. It's a long shot but I thought I'd see what happens. I'm not in it for the money since I think the demand is sparse, though I may put them on a website. I did approach Perry-Castaneda about the large maps but they never replied.