sqa380fan
Topic Author

Manila Folder 777 — New Video!

Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:54 pm

Hey guys,
I posted a couple times over the past year with updates about the 1:60 model 777 I’m making out of manila folders. I have an exciting new video to share that documents the process of painting the livery (in clear gloss) onto the plane. It’s set to music, so if you have headphones available, I’d recommend using them! Anyway, this video should give you more of an idea about what stage the build is at and how the plane looks. I’ve always enjoyed watching livery spray-painting timelapses, so it’s kinda cool to have made one myself 

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7R2ldqDxnA

LH526
Crew

RE: Manila Folder 777 — New Video!

Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:52 pm

Being an architect and designer having worked with these types of cardboard, etc for years I must say that this is by far the most accurately detailed and aesthetically appealing piece of aviation modeling art I've ever seen!
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

kristiaand

Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:14 pm

This is art, pure art!
"The airport runway is the most important mainstreet in any town." -Quoted from : Norm Crabtree.

RunwayTwoFour

Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:09 am

Wow! I am absolutely speechless! Not only did I watch the video of the time-lapse paint job, but also the other videos on there too of your other work! What you have done is incredible!

How close are you to finishing the full model? It must look amazing in real life. Do you have any plans to complete other models after this?

Keep up the good work!

JG
Keep Calm and Soldier On..

sqa380fan
Topic Author

Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:36 am

Hey, thanks guys! The comments mean a lot. It's always nice to know people are enjoying following the progress of the project.

Quoting RunwayTwoFour (Reply 3):
How close are you to finishing the full model? It must look amazing in real life. Do you have any plans to complete other models after this?

It's hard to say—ask anyone I know about how many self-imposed deadlines I've missed—but I'm really hoping to have it done by the time the summer rolls around. I started it over 5 years ago, but I've gotten to the point where "all" I have left are the wings. Hopefully 6ish months is enough time to design and build them.

I have no idea what I'm going to do when this is done, but I suppose I'll build some other models in the future. As I'm sure you can guess, it's a huge time commitment. I'd love to make a much larger model, but again, I'd have to figure out the logistics etc.

WingsFan

Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:15 pm

There is nothing I can say to praise you enough. You are truly a master of this medium. The effort , dedication and skill displayed is outstanding. I was just wondering how you plan to exhibit this once completed. One part of me want to see this completed with accurate coloring but that may mask the workmanship with paper you have shown here.

WingsFan

UltimateDelta

Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:44 am

This just keeps getting better and better the more you share here on A.net! I thought I was detail-oriented in my plastic models, but your work here takes it to a whole new level. This is definitely one of the coolest things I've ever seen!
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

sqa380fan
Topic Author

Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:00 pm

Quoting UltimateDelta (Reply 6):
This just keeps getting better and better the more you share here on A.net! I thought I was detail-oriented in my plastic models, but your work here takes it to a whole new level. This is definitely one of the coolest things I've ever seen!

Why thank you!! I'm a bit of a nutcase when it comes to this project, I never could have imagined it getting to this point when I first started. By the way, if you want to see more, I just posted a bunch of pictures of the project in various stages of completion: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucaiaconistewart/sets

Enjoy!

Mir

Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:30 am

So I saw this on io9 today: http://io9.com/this-meticulously-cra...e-of-manila-1504096998/@rtgonzalez

And my first thought was "I wonder which a.netter did this, it had to have been one of them".    Well, now I know.

Actually, that wasn't my first thought. My first thought was "that is absolutely amazing, I could work on something like that my whole life and I wouldn't even come close". I am beyond impressed with what you've done with this.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

CXB77L

Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:22 pm

So now, you're news. CNET and Wired.com have also done articles about your hobby, in addition to the above.

I used to build plastic model kits, but I don't anymore because I just don't have the patience. The difficulty level of this manila folder 777 project must be far beyond any plastic model kit I've ever attempted to build (which are either left unfinished or were rushed and ruined). If I had half the talent or patience that you have, I'd be able to build a half decent plastic model.

Your dedication to this project is highly commendable. I've followed your progress since you first posted about your model last year, and as always I'm left speechless by what you've accomplished.
Boeing 777 fanboy

cloudboy

Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:14 pm

Curious about your clear gloss livery. I saw the video- it looks neat when you shine the light on it. How well does it show up in general lighting? I am assuming that you choose the clear look because you wanted to highlight the paper construction?
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

A333MSPtoAMS

Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:03 pm

absolutely awesome!!! I wish that I a) had the patience and b) the time , to do something like this.

my one comment is regarding the livery. why Air India?
As of Jul 2016 I've flown 192 flights on 43 airplane types with 41 airlines traveling thru 85 airports in 37 countries. I've visited 50 countries with 1 more unique one this year. My greatest achievement was climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro in Oct 2015.

LH707330

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:05 pm

Quoting CXB77L (Reply 9):
I used to build plastic model kits, but I don't anymore because I just don't have the patience. The difficulty level of this manila folder 777 project must be far beyond any plastic model kit I've ever attempted to build (which are either left unfinished or were rushed and ruined). If I had half the talent or patience that you have, I'd be able to build a half decent plastic model.

I used to be more impatient with plastic models too. These days, kits are much better, so you may want to give it another shot. I'd recommend building a Revell 747-8, they are pretty solid and don't need much fixing. I got a bit burned out after converting a KC-135 kit into a 707 last year, so like you, I really don't know how Luca does all of this.

Confuscius

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:52 pm

Quoting sqa380fan (Reply 4):
It's hard to say—ask anyone I know about how many self-imposed deadlines I've missed—but I'm really hoping to have it done by the time the summer rolls around.

If you're late, will the Government of India and/or Air India ask for compensation?
Ain't I a stinker?

usair330

Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:47 pm

Been following your work since your first post of the front nose gear. Just amazing the time and skill that you have put into this. Great work! Can't wait to see it all together.

haynflyer

Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:44 am

Wow!

This is totally amazing. For someone to have put this much time, effort and talent into something like this, I am totally awestruck.

Congratulations in advance on a job very well done!
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln