User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Topic Author
Posts: 6178
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Changes to priority screening

Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:04 am

Hi all,

Following an internal discussion for clarification on some gray areas, we have revised the priority screening rules a little. Since I don't know how fast we can update the rules on the upload page and the fact that we want people to be aware of these changes, I'm posting them here.


Sometimes we see 1st flight shots, but AC is on the ground with all the gears (take-off roll), like a static shot. Is it acceptable?

First flights will now have to be rotation or airborne photos.


>New type of aircraft for airline – hybrid.
>New aircraft for airline – in full scheme (new registration or manufacturer reusable registration).

New type or new reg for an airline in all white color but with title. It is ok?

This is OK.


Business, helicopter or single engine AC with new paint? Prio or not?

These will be screened as priority.


When is a new sticker large enough to qualify for priority?

Anything larger than say the span of 3 windows (not the actual windows, but from far side to far side with the space of 3 windows in between). This is also applicable for small changes in a (special) livery.


In addition, we now also offer priority screening to local newsworthy events. This also includes newsworthy first visits to your airport. Basically, any type of movement that is the talk of the town. To further increase your chances and since we are not always aware of the things that might be happening at your local place, we really need you to write a comment to the screeners with an explanation as to why you think the photo should be screened with priority. For these local priority photos, it is our intention to also offer more social media exposure to them (but no banner). Sometimes this may be with a delay due to timezone differences of the crew.

That's all for now. Feel free to comment or ask questions if you have them!
 
User avatar
HarryLi
Posts: 707
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:51 am

Re: Changes to priority screening

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:02 am

write a comment to the screeners with an explanation as to why you think the photo should be screened with priority.

Hello Kas,
Regarding to this point. I always write a comment to SC when i apply priority but it seems that this function will limit the number of words.Thus, i am wondering that is it possible to cancel this limitation ? because sometime the comment might be very long to explain although i try my best to write as short as i can. :D

Cheers,
Harry
I am a Guangzhou Spotter. My photos are here : http://www.airliners.net/search?user=20 ... =viewCount :D
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Topic Author
Posts: 6178
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Changes to priority screening

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:51 am

Hi Harry,

Could you give an example of when the message to the screeners is too long? Because I think the field is probably fine for the majority of the messages,
 
User avatar
HarryLi
Posts: 707
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:51 am

Re: Changes to priority screening

Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:33 pm

airkas1 wrote:
Hi Harry,

Could you give an example of when the message to the screeners is too long? Because I think the field is probably fine for the majority of the messages,

:oops: Actually i haven't encountered this situation yet. But it seems that it'smy problem as i always describe lots of detail to the photo :shock: and everytime i will delete some detail but it works. ;) So i think it's my problem and i will represent the majority next time :D

Cheers,
Harry
I am a Guangzhou Spotter. My photos are here : http://www.airliners.net/search?user=20 ... =viewCount :D
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Topic Author
Posts: 6178
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Changes to priority screening

Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:38 pm

A simple message is enough, no need to be super detailed. As long as it's enough to give us an idea why it should be considered as priority.
 
User avatar
dvincent
Posts: 1527
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:53 am

Re: Changes to priority screening

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:24 am

airkas1 wrote:
In addition, we now also offer priority screening to local newsworthy events. This also includes newsworthy first visits to your airport. Basically, any type of movement that is the talk of the town. To further increase your chances and since we are not always aware of the things that might be happening at your local place, we really need you to write a comment to the screeners with an explanation as to why you think the photo should be screened with priority. For these local priority photos, it is our intention to also offer more social media exposure to them (but no banner). Sometimes this may be with a delay due to timezone differences of the crew.

That's all for now. Feel free to comment or ask questions if you have them!


This is a big deal and I applaud this step being taken to help keep a.net relevant in a fast paced world.

Of course I am now going to start poking at what is newsworthy events... Here's what I think are examples. I'm sure if Kas or others want to strike these and say why they aren't it would be helpful to know to avoid stressing out busy screeners.

* Inaugural flights of new service, as mentioned (e.g. the first flight of a new route of note)

* Final flights of otherwise ordinary jets (e.g. the last flight of an airline at an airport)

* Rare visits from head of states or foreign dignitaries (e.g. Air Force One or other head of state jets in areas not usually expecting them)

* Sporting event charters (e.g. playoff jets)

* Rare military jet visits (e.g. fighters showing up at a civil airport that rarely sees them)

* Diversions of jets from other airports due to weather or other events (e.g. international widebodies stopping by BDL when JFK has nasty weather)

* Unusual visitors due to mechanical substitutions (e.g. a widebody sub coming in to pick up slack after cancelled flights)

* New additions to local air museums (e.g. events adding a major exhibit or completion of a restoration)

* Media events (e.g. 787 Dream Tour visits)

* The opening of a new terminal area for airport overviews.

Those ones above are what I think would be cut and dry.

Would scheduled special events for touring flying museums qualify? They are unusual for locals, but those planes are fairly well-covered.

What about airshows? The sheer volume of material because of the number of global airshows may mean that it may not be feasible, and if that's something that doesn't qualify then I understand.
From the Mind of Minolta
 
User avatar
trevisan26
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:31 am

Re: Changes to priority screening

Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:40 am

airkas1 wrote:
Hi all,
In addition, we now also offer priority screening to local newsworthy events. This also includes newsworthy first visits to your airport. Basically, any type of movement that is the talk of the town. To further increase your chances and since we are not always aware of the things that might be happening at your local place, we really need you to write a comment to the screeners with an explanation as to why you think the photo should be screened with priority.


I remember it happening a few times like Airbus formation flights in TLS, Lufthansa hijacked aircraft returning to Germany, double A380 flyover at Sydney, etc

I think this is a correct move, because many people don't bother to upload "local news" because it would take at least between 6-9 days to be accepted and shared to their local friends, so people just share on flickr, facebook or even whatsapp groups.

About being the "talk of the town" does it need to be among av geeks or the general population? I've a few pictures of an aircraft that received press attention and even front page of the main journal, does it qualify to priority?

About diversions, one airline that never landed at the airport qualify?

Cheers
 
JKPhotos
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Re: Changes to priority screening

Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:07 pm

Well that talk of the town is surely limited to av-geeks.
Be aware as far as I can remember in the last 20 years the only time that an aircraft landing was really the talk of the town (for non av-geeks) was the first landing of A380 in FRA or the first delivery of a Lufthansa 380. Otherwise it is non-existent. Even the first landing of a Lufthansa 350 barely attracted anyone here.
So I am sure Kas speaks about av-geeks.
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Topic Author
Posts: 6178
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Changes to priority screening

Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:20 pm

Well, it usually goes a bit hand-in-hand. By the time the media picks up something aviation related, it will have likely been the talk of the town in the avgeek community for a while already. For example, when the An-225 came to visit AMS a few years back, it did make the national headlines. But by that time, the avgeek community was already well aware of the visit long before the news broke for the media.
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Topic Author
Posts: 6178
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Changes to priority screening

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:59 am

dvincent wrote:
* Inaugural flights of new service, as mentioned (e.g. the first flight of a new route of note)

Yes


dvincent wrote:
* Final flights of otherwise ordinary jets (e.g. the last flight of an airline at an airport)

No (unless with ceremonial salute)


dvincent wrote:
* Rare visits from head of states or foreign dignitaries (e.g. Air Force One or other head of state jets in areas not usually expecting them)

Yes


dvincent wrote:
* Sporting event charters (e.g. playoff jets)

No


dvincent wrote:
* Rare military jet visits (e.g. fighters showing up at a civil airport that rarely sees them)

Yes


dvincent wrote:
* Diversions of jets from other airports due to weather or other events (e.g. international widebodies stopping by BDL when JFK has nasty weather)

Yes


dvincent wrote:
* Unusual visitors due to mechanical substitutions (e.g. a widebody sub coming in to pick up slack after cancelled flights)

Yes


dvincent wrote:
* New additions to local air museums (e.g. events adding a major exhibit or completion of a restoration)

No


dvincent wrote:
* Media events (e.g. 787 Dream Tour visits)

Yes (banner for the first flight of the tour)


dvincent wrote:
* The opening of a new terminal area for airport overviews.

Yes


dvincent wrote:
Would scheduled special events for touring flying museums qualify? They are unusual for locals, but those planes are fairly well-covered.

No


dvincent wrote:
What about airshows? The sheer volume of material because of the number of global airshows may mean that it may not be feasible, and if that's something that doesn't qualify then I understand.

Stays as is


trevisan26 wrote:
About being the "talk of the town" does it need to be among av geeks or the general population? I've a few pictures of an aircraft that received press attention and even front page of the main journal, does it qualify to priority?

Yes


trevisan26 wrote:
About diversions, one airline that never landed at the airport qualify?

Yes


-----
Please note though that these are guidelines and sometimes exceptions to the above answers will be made. In some cases (e.g. if priority for airshows change) it will be announced in this subforum. We hope the above gives a good indication of what we are now allowing and also thanks for asking about all those specific examples!
 
JKPhotos
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Re: Changes to priority screening

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:44 am

Hey Kas,

acutally it is not very clear to me.

So I will ask directly with some examples:

So when Air Azores sent their 330 instead of the usual 320 some weeks back, it was a big thing for the av-geeks and certainly one of the best visitors we’ve had in a while. But few people outside the av-geek world would have noticed nor cared. In the real world we could hardly speak of an event.

So would this qualify for prio screening or not?

Same when American will send their Dreamliner the first time to FRA in some weeks?

Would that qualify or not?

Cheers,
Julien
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Topic Author
Posts: 6178
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Changes to priority screening

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:52 am

Hey Julien,


JKPhotos wrote:
So when Air Azores sent their 330 instead of the usual 320 some weeks back, it was a big thing for the av-geeks and certainly one of the best visitors we’ve had in a while. But few people outside the av-geek world would have noticed nor cared. In the real world we could hardly speak of an event.
So would this qualify for prio screening or not?

Yes.

JKPhotos wrote:
Same when American will send their Dreamliner the first time to FRA in some weeks?
Would that qualify or not?

Yes.


But be sure to write a message to the screeners with an explanation why you think it deserves priority screening. We don't always know what's going on in local areas.
 
dutchspotter1
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:24 pm

Re: Changes to priority screening

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:16 am

airkas1 wrote:
dvincent wrote:
* Inaugural flights of new service, as mentioned (e.g. the first flight of a new route of note)

Yes

I guess this only applies to "outstations", right? E.g. a photo taken at AMS of a KLM aircraft departing to/returing from a new destination is not that special for AMS.
NO URLS in signature
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Topic Author
Posts: 6178
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Changes to priority screening

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:16 pm

dutchspotter1 wrote:
airkas1 wrote:
dvincent wrote:
* Inaugural flights of new service, as mentioned (e.g. the first flight of a new route of note)

Yes

I guess this only applies to "outstations", right? E.g. a photo taken at AMS of a KLM aircraft departing to/returing from a new destination is not that special for AMS.

Correct.
 
User avatar
miamivice
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:03 pm

Re: Changes to priority screening

Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:39 am

I've a question. May also an emergency (or priority) landing qualify for a priority screening even if there aren't "visible signs of failure"?
Carlo

"Your task is not to foresee the future, but to enable it."

(Antoine de Saint Exupéry)
 
User avatar
LuisPortillo
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:16 am

Re: Changes to priority screening

Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:18 pm

Dear Screener:

Regards, I would like to ask about the priority screening, If theres no picture of an airplane in the DB its consider a priority screening? I am asking this because I upload today a new plane in the DB but it was depreoritized, last week I upload some and they were accepted as priority. Please let me know
 
User avatar
airkas1
Head Screener
Topic Author
Posts: 6178
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:01 am

Re: Changes to priority screening

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:13 am

LuisPortillo wrote:
I would like to ask about the priority screening, If theres no picture of an airplane in the DB its consider a priority screening?

Correct.

LuisPortillo wrote:
I am asking this because I upload today a new plane in the DB but it was depreoritized, last week I upload some and they were accepted as priority. Please let me know

That's because the registration is already in the database, a photo dated from October 2017.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos