GulfstreamGuy
Topic Author

Night Time And Time Exposures

Tue Nov 16, 1999 2:50 pm

Anyone have any tips for shooting pictures at night and at night using time exposures. I love pictures of aircraft light streaks when they are taking off or landing. I want to try my hand at those kinds of shots. I have just a Pentax K1000 with a 70-300mm lens and a 35-70mm lens. (ALL manual) Things like: film speed, shutter speed, best lens to use (even if its not one I already have), and other tips. Thanks, Jason
"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane. " -Jimmy Buffett

tappan

RE: Night Time And Time Exposures

Wed Nov 17, 1999 12:09 am

A good tripod is a very good thing! Film? 200asa or 400asa is a good all purpose film. your lens is fine as long as a good, sturdy tripod is used. F8 or F11 with a shutter speed of anything from 5 seconds to whatevere you want 10 seconds or 30 seconds...whatever you want. Does your camera have the B setting???also a cable release and good luck.

Night Hawk

RE: Night Time And Time Exposures

Wed Nov 17, 1999 1:21 am

Hi There

Personally I would use the 200asa film as it will allow you to keep the shutter open longer. The lense choice is up to you, either will do the job. The F stop suggested by tappan will do fine. The problem with leaving the shutter open too long is you end up with what is called Reciprocity Failure. it basically means that the green in the film over exposes and your photo's will come out with a green tinge to them. You can leave the shutter open for about 20 seconds if its dark. If you are taking pics in the twilight hours around 7:00-8:00 in summer then I would suggest not leaving the shutter open for much longer than 10 seconds otherwise you will overexpose the film.

I hope ths helps

Regards

Greg