kaitak

My Own Aviation Photo Database!

Fri Mar 10, 2000 2:43 am

Instead of spending hundreds on a programme for your photos and reggies, why not build one yourself using Microsoft Excel (assuming that 90% of those who access the internet have access to Microsoft Excel).

You can find this when you select "programs" from the drop down/up box where you have "Start". On Excel, you can set up boxes in such a way that you can have the info you want.

If (like me) you have your photos in albums, you can separate them like this:

Aircraft reg
Aircraft type
Airline
Where photographed
Date (roughly)
Which album
Which page

That way, if you need to find a photo, you can go to Excel and ask, by aircraft reg, where it is, and it should,hopefully, bring up the entry for the aircraft,
e.g.

EI-CPD A321 Aer Lingus LHR August 1998 Album 2, Page 10

You can also sort the registrations in alphabetical order, or in any particular
order you wish - e.g. start with Airbus and working in numerical order, e.g. A319 up for Airbus, the 707, 717, 727 etc. for Boeing.

planefreak

RE: My Own Aviation Photo Database!

Fri Mar 10, 2000 5:10 am

Good idea! It sounds like a winner, however I have my pictures grouped into books of airlines, not the aircarft. I guess you can do it anyway you like. I am currently writing down N numbers on the bottom of photos in the books inorder to present them at trade shows.

Planefreak

Lindy

Fri Mar 10, 2000 12:03 pm

Yes, but tell me what I should do if I dont keep pictures in albums. Albums only destroy pictures. I would like to make some kind of data base of my pic collection. I have over 5000 pictures, but I keep them in the shoe boxes.

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

Airliner

Fri Mar 10, 2000 6:35 pm

have you tried Microsoft Access for your database. Its the way to go. Store your own pictures and data on each shot.
Very simple to add pictures and update your shots.

flyf15

Sat Mar 11, 2000 7:45 am

I have all mine cataloged in Borland Quattro Pro. Each photo has a serial number. The info I store is:

Serial Number
Operator
Aircraft
Reg#
Special Flight info
Negative serial number (yes, I have all of them cataloged too)
Remarks

hawaiian717

Tue Mar 14, 2000 6:17 am

A database program like FileMaker or Access is better suited to this task than a spreadsheet like Excel. Personally, I built a HyperCard program to function as my database, and included the functionality to generate the pages for my web site as well. Windows users could probably do something similar with Visual Basic.

kaitak

Wed Mar 15, 2000 3:23 am

I've now got up to No.1000, although I'm only getting about 50-60% logged, as I'm sticking to ones where the aircraft reg. is clearly legible.

As for Excel, I find it quite alright. It does what I want it to do, which is fine. For example, if you want to find a particular acft, scroll down from EDIT to LOOK FOR (with binoculars beside it), select "By columns" and "values",enter your reg in the box and press "Look Next" and it'll take you right to it. I don't know about the other ones, but Excel does I all I want.

Dazed767

Mon Mar 20, 2000 2:58 pm

I actually do that, with flights I've been on. Airline, Aircraft, Depart, Arrive, Reg# etc.