c72

Administrator Partial?

Mon May 29, 2000 1:21 pm

Today I tried to upload a pic of an AA 757 that I had put on a high-resolution photo cd at the time of development at the local photo shop and was rejected. Well, 3 days ago I saw a few pics that were worse than mine that were uploaded by a photographer who I will not name who has work pulished in many magazines.

Is the admin. of this site partial to people like him? I think that the admin. never though this site would get as huge as it is and had to start these strick standards, "Only the best...." so it won't get out of control.

Steve

Danny

RE: Administrator Partial?

Wed May 31, 2000 4:01 am

I totally agree with you, but there's another post here that (to wrap it up) says that we can complain all we want, but the rules won't change. And I understand that too - it is for the best interest of the site.

But I recently saw a couple of pics that I'd like to have explained to me.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Vasco Garcia

Click for large version

Photo © Vasco Garcia

Click for large version

Photo © Vasco Garcia

Now, the planes on the photos aren't rare at all, they are grainy and there are lots of white dots and lines (dirty scanner glass?) on the pics. And the light conditions aren't the best...? NOTE! I'm not thrashing the photographer - the pics are great! It's just that I've had pics with better quality and really not too much to complain about rejected. What's going on? Is it that you guys at airliners.net don't have the time to look at all the pics, so you'll just pic a couple and discard the rest? If that's the problem, "hire" more people. I know that there are loads of volunteers.

Anyhow, keep up the good work! But make it better!

Wed May 31, 2000 10:52 am

When I look at the pictures which Danny posted, I must say that those are the kind of pic´s which I like to see on this site. Much atmosphere in them ! Can´t be done by random.

Anton P.

Sat Jun 03, 2000 1:37 pm

I agree with ab400

the MD-11 swissair is a different photo!
maybe not 100% sharp but still unusual angle and light!

I don't see why it should not be here..

regards Anton

teahan

Mon Jun 05, 2000 6:41 am

What about this picture? I am no expert but the quality seems bad and what about those roadsigns etc. I know it is a special livery but it is definetly not that rare!

Jeremiah Teahan

Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

ovelix

Tue Jun 06, 2000 9:18 pm

I believe, as you, that the photos I send and are rejected are good enough to be added.
I understand that they only accept the very best but it's hard for me to accept that I need an expensive camera with expensive lenses for my photos to be displayed here.
This is a site where amateur photographers can display their images not a site where planespotters with professional equipment can display their work.
I use an expensive scanner already and I edited the images the best I could. I can find worse pics than mine in the database and I believe that they throw away the real air enthusiast by raising the standards so high.
I don't suggest that they should accept any image no matter of quality, I suggest that they should lower the today's standards so the real air enthusiast (not the wealthy planespotter) can contribute.

I sent my opinions to the admin as well, I wait for the response, if any...

Kostas Farmakis

Brick

Enough Of This!

Wed Jun 07, 2000 1:49 am

I have used camera equipment. I am not a "weathly" or "professional" plane spotter. I have moderate quality zoom lenses and a really old SLR camera. In all, I spent less than $300 for my current camera setup.

I have over 500 photos on this site in 12 months of posting photos on here. My accepted rate is between 95% and 98%. So don't give me this bullshit about only the wealthy and professional can get photos posted on here because it isn't true.

To the people who have done all of the complaining: Grow up and QUIT BITCHING ABOUT YOUR REJECTED PHOTOS!! Learn how to take better photos instead of demanding that everyone else lower their standards to match yours....

Mark Abbott
Minneapolis, MN
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

nikonman

RE: Enough Of This!

Wed Jun 07, 2000 7:40 am

Mark,

I agree 100%.

c72

Wed Jun 07, 2000 10:32 am

Geez!!! I hope nobody judged by the pics on my webpage. Those are old! I have gotten better since then! Hopefully I can do what needs to be done to take better quality pics.

Steve

FastGlass

Wed Jun 07, 2000 11:23 am

This BS goes way beyond just TAKING good pics. The scanning technique is involved 50% at my best guess. A great pic that is properly exposed and developed may look excellent, but if it is scanned poorly - a good pic suddenly becomes a bad one, for upload.

Take good pics, scan them well, and the problems and whining will vanish...

USAir_757

Wed Jun 14, 2000 11:52 pm

Keyword: SCANNING. Point: Not everyone has a scanner!
-Cullen Wassell @ MLI | Pentax K5 + DA18-55WR + Sigma 70-300 DL Macro Super

FastGlass

Thu Jun 15, 2000 2:20 am

Counter Point: Without a scanner, the pictures don't automatically appear on the monitor. That's NOT what that slot on the front of your PC is for...

c72

Thu Jun 15, 2000 5:11 am

UPDATE:

Well, I went and bought an HP 5200Cse and actually had my first 2 pics uploaded yesterday!  I guess it takes patience, skill, and a good scanner.

Steve

USAir_757

Thu Jun 15, 2000 5:20 am

FastGlass: Those of us(such as me) who do not have a scanner use a PhotoCD or PictureDisk.

deltairlines

Tue Jun 20, 2000 11:03 pm

First of all, I would like to say that Brick is correct. You don't have to be rich, etc. I have an old camera (15 years) and it still works fine. All you need (I am guessing) is patience with scanning your shots. It can seem frustrating to those of you who don't have a scanner (like me), but at least try your best. Also, Gary Watt said in another thread to scan you photos and then don't look at them for a day or more. Then, go back and look at them and see if you should upload them or rescan them.

Jeff

Tue Jun 20, 2000 11:38 pm

I don't think the admin has the point of view to decide about the quality of a photo. I also don't think there're raising the standars so high...

I also don't know what process do the follow to decide what photos they accept or not   Maybe random  

USAir_757

Wed Jun 21, 2000 3:24 am

The MD-11 one is sweet! and it is pretty rare, sunrise(or set) is always gonna be rare as it is, but then that cool angle spices it up even more!  

ake0404ar

Wed Jun 21, 2000 12:38 pm

Hello,

maybe I should add my comments to this topic as well, as I was the " lucky one ".
I was surprised that the SR M-11 was uploaded as the pic was not 100% sharp, but what someone already mentioned and thanks for that, neither the Airline nor the aircraft is rare but the angle, the time ( was shortly before sunset ) and that brings atmosphere into the picture and I would image this is one of the criteria how the judge a photo and why the pic is where it is.
So for all out there I had better pictures, not added to the database for some reason.
I accepted it, turned around tried harder and it works.

Regards

Vasco Garcia

Boston, MA

RE: Enough Of This!

Wed Jun 21, 2000 10:56 pm

I think many of you people don't understand the difference between the quality of the image and the quality of the "photo".

I'd say almost 80% of the photos in this database are "just photos" of planes.

But there's something true. This is a personal site, and the author/moderator follow his own rules. If we don't like it, go to another site, or create your own gallery.

I did a "test" some days ago with one of my latest photos, and was rejected. I don't care, but would like to know (only curiosity) to know why, but the admin didn't answer. No problem, as I said before, he has the reasons, and I have to understand it (but not necessarily to agree).

And sorry, I'm not an amateur. A work daily with photographs (in advertising), and know perfectly what's good or not, in terms not only of image quality (noise, bright, saturation, etc, etc) but "look and feel" (angle, perspective, environment, etc.. ).

Enjoy the flight.
-Bellcore

USAir_757

Thu Jun 22, 2000 11:46 pm

Another thing: maybe 1% of all photographers can go outside the terminal to the ramp, at least that's how it is here in the USA. I tried asking to go out, and it just didnt work. I don't know if I can set up an appointment or what, but I don't have access to the ramp currently.

Lawrence Feir

Sun Jul 16, 2000 6:54 am

I've been reading the posts here on this topic and thought I'd put my 2 cents in.

First I'd like to say that we are all guests here and the admins do put in a lot of time and effort to make this a place we can all come to and enjoy. I don't always agree with them either but do understand it's not an easy job and that not everybody is going to be happy with the decisions they must make.

My views on picture "quality".

I learned a long time ago when I was in school that just because a photograph isn't sharp or it's not in perfect focus doesn't make it a "bad" picture. I'd have to say the same for small bits of dust and scratches etc.

What is important is LIGHTING, & composition. Scanning is also important but I'd have to say that for 95% of the problems I see with poor scanning are not due to the scanner but to the operator. I have a $79.00 flatbed scanner we use for faxes that will do more then the quality requested on this server. It's a learned skill to scan photographs properly. This is especially true of under or overexposed prints. My suggestion to those who can't get the hang of scanning or would rather leave it to the pros is to have your film put on photo CD when it's processed.

The same holds true for cameras. You can get a camera for under $100 that will give more then adequate quality. If you want to shoot subjects in the air or over a distance then you will need to spend more, but again, good photos are a combination of good lighting and good composition. A good photographer with a disposable camera will take better picture then a poor photographer with a new Nikon f-5 any day of the week, all day long.

Well, I've had my rant,

Go easy on the admins guys, focus on improving you photos and it you still get rejected pics then post them someplace else and we can look at them and talk about it.

Lawrence Feir

USAir_757

Sun Jul 16, 2000 7:22 am

Guys I put a suggestion for the admins in one of my old posts, "Possible reason for so many rejections" its at the bottom. Tell me what you think.

USAir_757/MHT
ps. Lawrence you have really great shots!

nikonman

RE: Lawrence...

Sun Jul 16, 2000 8:13 am

I like the air-air shots dude! The Continental D3 is great...keep em up!

Good work man!

Nikonman

Sun Jul 16, 2000 11:50 pm

I understand that talking exsessively about rejected photos in this forum can lead to admonition by the more experienced photographers, but for the time being I cannot think of a better place to discuss my frustrations.

I have submitted about 25 pictures and have had 1 accepted. In MY OPINION this picture was not my best. It was not the sharpest, or the best scanned. It was not the best composed, and it was not taken in the best light conditions; it was an overcast day with flat light conditions.

All of the rejections came with the caveat "image quality is low". I have downloaded some of the photos of establised airliners.net photographes and compared my photos side-by-side with these photos and I cannot see that my image quality is low. The image quality of my photos is comparable to many existing airliners.net photos.

Are photos rejected because there are too many pictures of American Airlines 757s? Or because there is a fence in the forground? Or because the aircraft wingtip is blocking the logo on the tail? (These are all things that I try hard to avoid). If this is the case, I would sincerely like to know how I can improve my photos. Again in MY OPINION (which is only my opinion) I cannot reconcile the "low image quality" rejection with my work.

Please share your experiences.

Sincerely

JMOD

Danny

Mon Jul 17, 2000 4:57 am

Anyone read my post about the idea for a rating with the upload confirmations? FEEDBACK! Please...

/Danny

Mon Jul 17, 2000 6:19 am

???????????Quality??????????????

Click for large version

Photo © George Polfliet

NOTE! I'm not thrashing the photographer
It's just that I've seen pics with better quality and rejected. What's going on?

administrator

Mon Jul 17, 2000 6:43 am

Ok, it's apparently time I reveal myself, it seems I can't escape your prying minds. I'm part of an alien force from Mars, here to take over the world and fill the Internet with low quality aviation photos.

I do my best WT, a few photos slip by, that's inevitable. if you think you can do better, be my guest.

This constant rant is getting quite tiresome. Read the upload-FAQ damnit.

Johan
Working on the site from morning 'till night that's livin' alright (1997-2007)

USAir_757

Mon Jul 17, 2000 7:55 am

Well fine then. I have officially lost my patience on this matter. Do please read the last post on the topic "Possible reason for so many rejections".

Constant Rant

Mon Jul 17, 2000 8:04 am

This is a good website and having some more of my pictures posted here would make me happy. I wouldn't be trying so hard and feeling the rejection so acutely if this website did not have significant meaning to a person like me who wants to share airliner photography.

I mean no ill to the adminstrator, only congratulations on my favorite website.

I am looking forward to my next submissions.

JMOD

nikonman

Mon Jul 17, 2000 9:19 am

Guys, lay off Johan...He's NOT a robot (i think) He's doing his best, photos slip by...Out of the 60 photos I uploaded yesterday, a couple were rejected that really made me curious. While it's probably a mix-up, or a "slip" by Johan about these, i just re-upload them. Then there are the ones where I shake my head about uploading them...

Johan, 25 more are incoming!

Nikonman

Rotate777

Mon Jul 17, 2000 9:24 am

We can't blame Johan for a picture that slips by somehow. It's not exactly his fault stuff like that happens. Although I still don't know why one of my pictures was taken off here? Possibly low quality I guess.

I have 3 rolls worth of pictures that I took at SJC yesterday, so they will be coming....

-Wilsam

chris28_17

Tue Jul 18, 2000 3:43 pm

Okay, i would like to agree with JMOD 's last post. As far as myself, I think this is the best airline site of any kind that exists (in my opinion) and its the only one i regularly check.

Thus the drive to have "My" photos (general term)accepted by such a highly respected site is one that can easily become an obsession for many. However amatuers like myself will cope with inevitable rejection in different ways.

Obviously everyone is partial to thier own work, i know that I am; but this is assured, besides, you spend the money for camera equip. film, you take a few hours or even a day out snapping picture after picture, tirelessly trying to find the perfect angle, light, background and etc. So after all this work, you develop your pics, your proud of them! you want to show the world, you upload them to a site like this and they get rejected... HMM.. lets blame the people who rejected the photos...(??)

OKay, here is my point. I have uploaded a lot of pics, only a few have been accepted, and, like many of you I didnt think they were my better pictures. So i posted some of my rejected pics trying to get advice (see "okay my turn to ask advice")
This is how I deal with rejection and i think many of you should also. when i have a photo rejected, i use it as a way to get BETTER!!

THINK ABOUT THIS!! if the admin. accepted all the "just decent" pics, people like me would have no reason to PrAcTiCe our hobby and strive to become better photographers. As for myself, i know for a FACT that I am a better photographer because of the rejections i have received. And of course, i spend alot of time trying to get my pics accepted, like you all, and rejections drive me nuts too!!! but this isnt my web site! the admin does NOT have an obligation to accept people's average pictures just as a self-esteem boost to amatuer photographers.

OKAy, i know i went long, but like i said, everyone is partial to thier own pics, thus it is easy to miss your own mistakes, that is why if you get pics rejected, then feel free to post them here, thats what i intend to do. someone else will probably find the mistake that you missed, and you can avoid that next photo outing.

like i said, instead of worring about other people's poor pics that have been accepted and that yours didnt, get better! then go out, take some pics that instead of hoping to just slide by, you absolutly stun the photo screener, and dont give up or complain, just TRY HARDER...

CHRIS WELDY
UAX/AWAC

chris28_17

Wed Jul 19, 2000 3:40 pm

Oh yeah, one more quick thing...
like i said, this isnt your web site!

Maybe you send in the best airline picture anyone has ever seen, if the admin doesnt like it, so what? it doesnt nessasarily mean its a bad picture. Its thier site and they decide what gets put on thier site

There are times i send in pics that are rejected and i wonder if anyone actually looked at them before rejecting them. But im sure they did, and decided that i need to try harder and send in better work before i get my name and pictures in lights.

if someone gives you a bright orange t-shirt, will you wear it out everywhere just because that person thinks its a nice shirt? of course not, you wear the shirt that YOU think is nice.... Does anyone get my point? yes ive had MANY frusterating rejections but maybe my standards and photographic tastes dont line up with that of the screener; should he lower his standards or change his particular tastes to fit mine? it might be nice, but i sure hope not...

thank you  

CHRIS

uax/awac

ckw

Another View Point

Thu Jul 20, 2000 5:32 pm

I can appreciate the frustration of not getting pics accepted - but if you think the administrator here is tough, don't ever try a traditional publisher!

But it seems to me a lot of you are going about this the wrong way - ie. going to major international airport with some pretty basic equipment and struggling to get shots from fixed vantage points, through fences etc. etc. - you're stacking the odds against yourself, and probably not learning much about photography. And you will not get anything like the shots obtained by those with special access, pro equipment etc.

Ask yourself this - "why do I want to upload an image of say, an AA 757, when there are already a dozen or more better pics in place? How does that make me look as a photographer?"

Why not try something else - a wide variety of aircraft types are accepted here, so go to your local private flying field and shoot a few Cessnas, Pipers etc. Here you'll have much better access, less need for special equipment and the opportunity to develop your skills as a photographer. You think Cessnas are boring? Well so are all those Boeings when you've seen enough of them! A major challenge for any photographer is to make the everyday interesting.

Think of it this way - how many sports photographers start shooting at the major leagues? There are miles of film shot at hundreds of small town local league games first while the craft is learnt.

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

Granite

RE: Another View Point

Thu Jul 20, 2000 5:58 pm

Hi

I agree with Colin.

I have heaps of shots of Swissair aircraft from a recent trip to ZRH but have not uploaded them all as there are many already.

Same goes for my AA etc.

I passed my local airport the other day (well infact every day as I work near it) and say a few Cessna's etc. I might get the camera out and snap them.

Regards to all
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland

RE: Another View Point

Sat Jul 22, 2000 6:26 am

All my rejections have said simply "image quality low". None have said "Enough 757's on this site" or "through fence". I don't think the image quality is low, my first couple may have been, but my current ones are not low quality. Of course this is my opinion and I could be mistaken.

All I have to go by is the fact that airliners.net believes my image quality is low and wants the photos if I can improve the quality.

If there is more to it than that I would love to know it.

JMOD