Rotate777
Topic Author

Blurry Photos Caused By Scanning

Sun Jun 18, 2000 8:56 am

Hi

Maybe you all can help me with this problem. Whenever I scan a picture, it always comes out blurry, and I think that is why it doesn't get accepted here. The photo is clear enough, and you can read the reg number. But when i scan it, everything becomes blurry. How can I fix this? I use Adobe Photoshop 5.5. How can I "unblur" spots of the plane. Is this posibble?
Could the reason for the bluriness be because of my scanner. Is there a setting I'm suppose to change to not make it blurry?

Thanks for any help. I really appreciate it!

Wilsam

nikonman

RE: Blurry Photos Caused By Scanning

Sun Jun 18, 2000 9:45 am

Two things you can do, one, recalibrate your scanner, I recalibrate mine after every 30 scans.

Secondly, use the "sharpen option" (Not under Filter-Sharpen) it's the triangle looking thing on the menu that moves.

Regards,

Nikonman

DSMav8r

Sun Jun 18, 2000 1:23 pm

Most photos when scanned will come out blurry. The best way to "unblur" them is to use a filter (Photoshop 5.5 and Paint Shop Pro) called "unsharp mask." You may have to toy around with the sharpen settings to get the results you are looking for. However, in most photo situations, you should leave the radius setting at "1.00." Typically any more than that will cause too much grain.

If you are looking to sharpen just a small portion of the photo, just use the sharpen tool on your program's toolbar, that should do the trick.

Hope this helps!

Aric Thalman
To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home

FastGlass

Sun Jun 18, 2000 1:44 pm

Recalibration won't help much with image sharpness, more for color and Gamma. Use Unsharpen Mask at a setting of about 100%, 0.5, and 1. Then go from there...