Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lanpie
Topic Author

Type Of Film

Wed Aug 16, 2000 3:22 am

Most of my photos on airliners.net have been taken using Kodakchrome 25 or 64 asa. Lately I am using Kodak Gold 100 & 200 asa or Konica 100 asa.

I am wondering which type of film the other photographers of airliners.net are using ?

RE: Type Of Film

Wed Aug 16, 2000 3:33 am

Hey Lanpie!

For slides I was using only Kodachrome 64 until recently. I switched to Fuji Sensia II 100. I hate fuji for prints, but for slides it's excellent. I like the color saturation and it is comparable to K64 for graininess (At least from my experience). I just dislike the colors I obtained with K64. I still use K64 sometimes though, but it's mainly because most people trade only K64/25.
For prints, I like Kodak royal gold 100.

mls737

ckw

Wed Aug 16, 2000 5:10 am

I use Fuji Reala when possible, but English weather being what it is also use Fuji Superior 200 and 400. Very satisfied with this film - but I scan direct from negatives and never bother getting prints from the processing lab.

Cheers,

Colin

Rotate777

Wed Aug 16, 2000 5:18 am

I usually always use Kodak Gold 100 Speed film. If the weather is a bit cloudy, I use Kodak Gold 200. I don't really like Gold 200 too much, since it produces some amount of grain. I'm satasfied with Kodak Gold 100, and will keep using it. It produces good results.

Wilsam

speculous

Wed Aug 16, 2000 7:44 am

I've been using Kodachrome 64 for 8 months now with no complaints. I just started using Fuji Provia 100F about a month ago. Most collectors prefer K64, but I do this for no one but myself, and will probably use the Fuji more often because I can get it developed quicker.

For non-aviation shooting... I load up with Royal Gold 200 print film. I can't point out anything exceptional about it. It's just a preference

Scooter

Wed Aug 16, 2000 9:18 am

I've tried all kinds of print film, and I've found Kodak Gold 100 to produce the best results. It's amazing though...I hate Kodak Gold 200, as it's too grainy for my tastes.

Oh well...just try 'em all, and you'll know real soon what you like!

-Scott
San Diego, CA

planespotter

Wed Aug 16, 2000 7:53 pm

Hi There!

For planes I use Fuji Sensia II 100. I also tried Kodak K64 sometime, but Fuji has better colors and is much cheaper than Kodak. If I had enough money I'd take slides with Fuji Velvia 50 (the best film I know).

About a year ago I tried a new professional film from Kodak..I dont know its name anymore...Something with "100 SW" (Saturation Warm). I did pretty good shots with that...Does anybody use this film??

For Prints (no planes, but vacation photos, etc.) I prefer Kodak Gold 100. For Prints Kodak seems much better than Fuji.

When the weather is too bad, so that I had to use ISO 200 or higher I better stay at home and dont take pics...  

Tschüß,

Stefan.

Thu Aug 17, 2000 1:21 am

Hi,

Here is the "common" film inside my backpack:

Fuji Provia 100F - The major slide provides super fine quality
Fuji Reala & Kodak Royal Gold 100 - I like the color and also super fine quality
Kodak 100VS - Film to produce "saturated" color
Kodak Royal Gold 400 - the only film for supertele and dim day
Fuji NPH - fine grain (as Fuji 200) but in 400 speed
Fuji 800 (Superia or Super-G) - for extreme condition, for example, panning at night

Of course, if the condition is acceptable, please do use ISO 100 film in order to get the fine grain. I highly recommend Fuji Reala and Provia 100F when the light condition is good!

You may see some example on my URL http://w3.to/kasing .

Regards,

Ka-sing Down
Hong Kong, China

rindt

Thu Aug 17, 2000 2:04 pm

Hey

I shoot Kodachrome 64, case closed  
I dislike, no, I hate FUJI film. The colours are by far the worst I have seen, very blue in my opinion. When the sky has a "Hollywood-made" looking blue, you know something is very wrong. Sure, you get it back in a day, but you pay a lot for processing. Kodachrome is still a little cheaper, and richer in quality. I don't shoot prints as I trade slides, but I have tried all kinds of Kodak print film... 100 is best. I've used 25 Gold, and it is AWEFUL. If you're shooting planes with a 50mm lense in perfect conditions, Kodachrome 25 is the best film, nothing compares to it, not even close.

Regards,
Rob

thomasphoto60

Thu Aug 17, 2000 2:51 pm

With all due respect to you Rob, (btw, I enjoy your work!) Kodachrome is a real pain! even in a major city like Houston, it is becoming increasingly difficult to get this film procressed affordably, as well as quickly. I use to live on K25/64, then I discovered Fujichrome's 50RFP, sadly this was discontinued in favour of Fujichrome's Velvia. I have accepted some of this films warmish characteristics (especially with flesh tones) and use them it my advantage. Now I rely almost completly on this and sometimes Provia, and the fact that I can get a very quick turn around in a matter of hours in many cases, at a reasonable price, sells me on these films. To be honest I have only scant experince with Kodak's Ecktachrome emulsions, but the few times that I have used these films I have not been too terribly impressed.

Thomas