bodobodo

Amateur Contributors--what's Your Dayjob?

Tue Aug 22, 2000 11:28 pm

As a follow-up to the post recommending an amateur section for photographs I was curious about what all the hobbyist photographers that submit here do for a living and how did you get into airliner photography? Is your occupation aviation related? In my case I do computer networking and technical support and have always loved airplanes. My interest in aviation was rekindled by this site and I bought my first SLR earlier this year. A combination of taking a lot of flights on vacation (10 since May), buying a 70-300 lens, and finding two others (one of whom has a car) who enjoy spending Saturday afternoons at the airport have combined in the past few months to give me the opportunity to take lots of photographs. Johan's high standards have encouraged me to improve both my photography and digital editing skills and I thank him for it. 29 pictures and (hopefully) counting. What's your story?

Cheers,
bodobodo

Brick

RE: Amateur Contributors--what's Your Dayjob?

Wed Aug 23, 2000 4:29 am

I drive around in a green van solving mysteries.

Mark Abbott
Minneapolis, MN
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

Wed Aug 23, 2000 6:34 am

I am a police communications officer (aka 911 dispatcher). I make a living telling cops where to go! My love of airliners started about 30 years ago when I was 10 yrs old growing up under the final approach to SFO. I would love to have a job working for the airlines, but I cannot afford to give up my well paid cushy government job!

Richard Silagi

ake0404ar

Wed Aug 23, 2000 9:24 am

I grew up in an airliners family, my dad used to be the Cargo Manager for AR in FRA.
I always wanted to work for an airline, but for right now we only do business with them.
I work for a german logistics company in the US.
In simple terms we are a travel agency for freight but of course it is way more complex !
My Goal still is to work for an airline. I'll probably will do that whenever I go back to FRA.

I always loved planes and after the following experience I combined these hobbies

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Vasco Garcia

That experience was the trigger and 2 months later I bought my first SLR.

Regards

Vasco G.

c72

Wed Aug 23, 2000 10:43 am

I'm not a secretary, I'm an Administrative Assistant. Oh, I like milk chocolate m&m's not plain! LOL

Steve

CityBird MD-11

RE: Brick

Wed Aug 23, 2000 11:32 am

zoinks!!  

jasonm

Wed Aug 23, 2000 2:10 pm

I work for QANTAS in my hometown in South Australia and often take my camera to work to get some aircraft shots when I have the time. My favorite subject is wildlife and nature but shooting aircraft has become quite addictive!!

I also like beer and women in their 30's  

Cheers,
Jason

chris28_17

Wed Aug 23, 2000 3:20 pm

I work for United express/AWAC and im also a college student here in FWA (ft.wayne, indiana). Im still a kid but I have no desire to work in any field other than aviation. I would like to some day get the money (heehee im too poor now) to start ground school and etc... i really dont know what i plan to do but right now I keep PLENTY busy with school and full time airline job.. (where i am the very youngest, and yet high enough seniority for any shift i want  ) I used to take my camera to work alot, but the film developing became quite expensive for pics i can get any time; and lately some of my co-workers have gotten things stolen, and my camera is worth more than my vehicle... soooo i think i'll keep it home for a while.

Hmm... hahaha.. well thats my life story, hope you found it fascinating and exciting..  

CHRIS WELDY !

home in FWA:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=96799

Thu Aug 24, 2000 11:12 am

Hey guys.

During the day I am an aircraft technician for a Corporate Flight Department of a major US corp.

I work on a (G- is for Gulfstream)  G-IIB and a G-IV. 

and during the night I am ........  

Dazed767

Thu Aug 24, 2000 1:30 pm

Well, I'm a photographer for Kodak at Islands of Adventure (part of Universal Studios). We use Nikon N90s, which is hooked up to a digital devise, so we just click, and it comes up on the computer. We pose the people and put the photos in a variety of backgrounds (comics etc). Just a part time thing. In college right now.

QF747

Thu Aug 24, 2000 1:41 pm

I am an Analyst/Programmer and also a postgraduate student. My interest developed as a result of this site and seeing amazing photos of many different aircraft.
I got my equipment from my father who a long time ago and I mean long time ago, used to do nature photography and had his own photo developing equipment.

So now I use my father's old Pentax camera which I don't think is even made any longer with a 135mm lens and also a new Nikkon with 35 to 50mm lens. 

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Prana Mahen

Always fly QF!

PUnmuth@VIE

Thu Aug 24, 2000 9:46 pm

I'm an IT-Consultant living in Vienna. I always liked aviation, but I always was too lazy to make photos with my SLR because of bringing the film and taking the photos to the developer. But since I've bought an digital camera (NIKON CP990) my "lazyness" is gone.
-

AIR757200

Fri Aug 25, 2000 12:38 pm

Airline reservation sales agent-charter department, and soon customer service AAgent.

AIR757200

USAir_757

Fri Aug 25, 2000 12:58 pm

Qf747 - Which pentax is that?
-Cullen Wassell @ MLI | Pentax K5 + DA18-55WR + Sigma 70-300 DL Macro Super

QF747

Sat Aug 26, 2000 9:11 pm

Hi,

US AIR_757 - Its a Pentax ME super. I think the year of manufacture was 1984 or 1985. 
Always fly QF!

henryjr

Sat Aug 26, 2000 10:17 pm

I'm a Post-Production Sound Engineer (TV series and Feature Films). I've been plane spotting for 3 years now but into photography for almost a year. Airliners.net and Johan's rejections on this site have helped me with my photography skills and forced me into getting better equipment. I love it.

Cheers everyone!

Henry Jr Godding

classic707

Sun Sep 10, 2000 10:06 am

I am a student at South West Texas State University in San Marcos TX. When I am not sleeping in class I work at the Advising Center. (It is a wonder I can aford any hobby!)

mikeyb

Sun Sep 10, 2000 1:13 pm

At my day job I work for a large internet company and manage their advertising programs, webmaster relations, perform webmaster duties on some of their sites, perfrom credit card fraud analysis, develop maintain and operate various fraud research programs, oversee their daily newsletter mailing of 4 million members, and few other odds and ends.

I got into photography as a hobby about 2 years ago. I hooked up with a great teacher who has become a good friend. In college he studied under Ansel Adams.

I had never flown on a plane before last year. I flew 12 times in one year, and became interested in commercial aviation. LAX is about 50 minutes from my house - and gives me something fun to do on the weekends and time alone.

I also like to do nature type photography - which is why this is one of my favorite photographs:

http://64.57.67.110/clouds.jpg

It was a great day. I was leaving New Orleans for Los Angeles, and got to the gate later than I should have. As a result I got bumped to first class because all the other seats were taken. This picture was taken close to 10,000 ft leaving N.O..

I got to sit in the cockpit too - that was fun..

Before Photoshop
http://64.57.67.110/airmikey.jpg

After Photoshop
http://64.57.67.110/airmikeyoops.jpg

Seriously, I get nervous before flying and have to take a Valium to calm down...but I love a lot of different aspects related to aviation. Photography is one of them.

Once I get my Nikon LS-1000 back from being refurbished I may submit some slides here. Till then I'll just keep taking pictures. Nice to meet everyone  

Cathay111

Wed Sep 13, 2000 1:56 pm

I am so old I can't remember what I do!!!!

Actually I work in the Motor Industry here in Sydney Australia.

Cheers
Craig