Is OAG Really Worth The Money?

Sat Sep 02, 2000 7:56 am

Recently got into aviation photography. Purchased the OAG world CD (almost $300/year!) so I could identify what airlines I could anticipate seeing on a given day. Is there a better/cheaper way for me to do this? I find unless you know the city a airline is departing for, you have to take guesses at what might be flying into a particular airport and then search it on the OAG. Already I've missed some great shots because I didn't know a particular flight existed from a city to the airport where I was shooting pictures.
If any of you "seasoned spotters" out there could share ways to make this process simpler and cheaper, I'd very much appreciate it!

ake0404ar

RE: Is OAG Really Worth The Money?

Sat Sep 02, 2000 8:34 am

We have the OAG and OAG cargo on our Intranet at our disposal, it is mainly used for business purposes.

If I were you I would check the airport website as most of them have an OAG schedule or similar on their site.

On top off my head I can tell you Boston Logan and Frankfurt Rhein Main International have these features, probably other airports have that as well.

I also know from my times when I worked at FRA, the airport authority publishes flight schedule, passenger as well as cargo for summer and winter schedule. ( little booklet )

Hope this helps.

Regards

Vasco Garcia

ckw

Sun Sep 03, 2000 5:02 am

OAG essentially provides information that is available in other forms in a convenient fashion - most (all?) airlines have route structures and schedules on the 'net, or you can get info on what to expect in a certain time/place by simply using one of the booking services to offer some flight suggestions. But this means a fair bit of time jumping from site to site and having an idea of what you're looking for in the first place. Ask yourself not if the info in OAG is worth the money, but rather the time saved.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

A330300

Mon Sep 04, 2000 1:03 pm

A flightarrivals.com, you can view arrivals/departures by airport, airport/airline as well as other options.