Aer Lingus
Topic Author

My First Attempt: Some Criticism Please

Tue Oct 24, 2000 2:34 am

Well here's one of my first attempts at taking airliner photos. It was taken using my friend's point and shoot. I'm about 99% sure this particular one is mine and not his. Anyhoo, I jsut wanted to know what you think. What's right/wrong with it? How could I improve (besides getting a new camera, which might be on the cards for X-Mas !)

BTW - This was developed on a CD

Martin

Scooter

RE: My First Attempt: Some Criticism Please

Tue Oct 24, 2000 2:50 am

My first impressions:

1. It's a little blurry. From this angle, the reg. should be clear...even the airline tiles are difficult to read.

2. The airplane is a bit small in the image...a tighter crop helps to make an image more dramatic (most of the time).

It's a nice angle though, and in the right light these can be REALLY cool shots. I was actually planning on spending Saturday afternoon / evening at LAX doing these types of low (underneath) approach shots into the sunset...but it was cloudy most of the weekend. Argh!!!

Anyway, just keep shooting...practice makes perfect!

-Scott
San Diego, CA
My name is Scott, and I am addicted to writing trip reports.

ake0404ar

Tue Oct 24, 2000 3:51 am

You want to here constructive criticism:

1.) the picture is blurry
2.) the light conditions are not very good.
3.) I like the angle though.
4.) you can hardly see the edges of the plane, as the plane is white and the sky as well.

I personally only shoot on sunny days, as I realized what light can do to a picture.....

It took me a good year to improve but right in the last past couple of months I took some real nice ones.

So keep trying and look for sunny days.

Have fun, it is a great hobbie or job, however you look at it.

Regards
Vasco Garcia

Thom@s

Thu Oct 26, 2000 1:05 am

Hi Aer Lingus.

I'd like to critizise your picture but it has all been said. I also like the angle and with the right plane, the right weather and the right scanner, this could easilly end up in the great-shots collection. I'm rather fresh when it comes to aviation photography myself but I manage to get a couple of pictures right. Allthough I havent got a good picture of an airborne plane yet, I hope that time will come sometime around christmas.

Regards
Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

Aer Lingus
Topic Author

Thu Oct 26, 2000 2:37 am

Thanks guys for all your opinions, I really appreciate them !
With regard to the angle: the runway which was in operation that day is very rarely used and can provide some good photo opertunities

Thanks again

Martin