G-KIRAN
Topic Author

Spotting At Changi

Wed Nov 15, 2000 12:51 pm

I know that there is a viewing gallery somewhere in changi airport,but I cant seem to find it anywhere.Does anyone know where it is?
Thanks

Granite

RE: Spotting At Changi

Wed Nov 15, 2000 5:29 pm

Hi

I was there last year and I think it is only accessed after passing through departures. Anyway it's up the escalator, to the left then pass the games arcade and you will see the double doors to the small enclosure.
This shot is from the enclosure:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Gary Watt

Another place to try is in the terminal itself. I cannot remember the exact way to go as a friend showed me but passing the check-in desks, up a lift and you were able to walk the length of the terminals for great shot, albeit through glass. I the sun is out, this should be no problem.

This shot was from this area:

Click for large version

Photo © Gary Watt

It was cloudy that morning. If you continue walking to the left of the photograph you will come to the end of the terminal and runway/taxiway shots are possible.

Hope this info helps.

Regards
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland

sia jubilee

Thu Nov 16, 2000 12:38 am

Yes, as you said. There are two observation decks located at both terminal 1 and 2.
Simply go to the "3/F", by lifts, escalators as you see there.
For terminal one there are two escalators.
one is beside the book shop, another one is beside a store(forget what they sell). Just want for the way heading to the restricted area.
You can also take the lift posited in the middle in all Loading/uploading area(basement),arrival level, departure level and of course the 3/F(restaurant).
Passing those resaurants, I can sure you will find the observation deck.
After you get there, you can walk to the preferred position for spot.

Click for large version

Photo © Alan Tsui

Click for large version

Photo © Alan Tsui

As for Terminal2. Take the lifts outside check-in counters (the side for resticted area NOT entrance). Or the two escalators are easily to find at the departure level.

Click for large version

Photo © Alan Tsui

Click for large version

Photo © Alan Tsui

Take a simply look on my web site can find some sample photos.
http://fly.to/b777

Anyway, Good Luck for spotting at SIN.

Regards,
Alan

AIRCANON

Thu Nov 16, 2000 1:35 am

The last time i was there was in 1997. To bad i had to rush to catch my flight for Bangkok. 

But thanks for the spotting hints. Next time i will try to have time enough to get some good aviation shots.

Regards

Edwin

Mr.BA

Sat Nov 18, 2000 8:32 am

You can get a nice view of the touchdown if the planes are landing on runway 20R...

Alvin
Boeing747 万岁!

kaitak

Sun Nov 26, 2000 9:41 pm

I had heard that it was necessary to get official authorisation and the consent of each airline whose aircraft you wished to photograph; is this still the case? Do security people harass you? (This kind of bureaucracy seems designed to frustrate people, so one would imagine it's intended to put people off photos?)

Also, in this months World Airline Fleets monthly - back cover - there is an absolutely beautiful shot taken by Andrew Hunt of an EVA 744F landing on what appears to be 2R. How easy is it to take photos around the perimeter; do you need a ladder or something else to stand on?)

Granite

Sun Nov 26, 2000 11:10 pm

Hi all

When I was at Changi, I was able to photograph around the perimeter.......with Andrew Hunt!!

Security is tight. If you are asked to move on, do so.

Regards
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland

thomasphoto60

Mon Nov 27, 2000 12:52 am

I plan to hit SIN later next year and I have been in contact with A. Hunt. He promised me a good time dodging police and security personel while shooting from the airport parimenter...obviously as in much of the world, aviation spotting and photography are frowned upon at SIN.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

n949wp

Mon Nov 27, 2000 3:30 pm

I've been to SIN a couple of times, and have done quite a bit of shooting from the T1 and T2 observation decks (landside). I was NEVER bothered by anyone. In fact, no one even gave me a strange look even though I was sporting a good-sized telephoto and occasionally firing away shots like crazy! From what I noticed, those two observation decks are a popular hang-out spot for Singaporeans (enthusiasts and otherwise) during weekends, which unfortunately also meant a fair amount of screaming kids!!

One of my friend has also been to the perimeter fence along East Coast Road, right next to runway 02R/20L. According to him, no one bothered him either. What bothered him though was the tropical weather (and the tendency for thunderstorms), and after just a day or two,   he's had it with that spot.

As for the spot for 02L/20R, I believe it was located right outside some military installation, which explains the sensitivity. However, I believe great shots are possible as long as you exercise discretion.

'949

hailstone

Tue Nov 28, 2000 11:28 pm

nobody has so far bothered me on the slightly elevated area, next to the mentioned 'military installation' along rwy 02R / 20L (opposite of the sats freight terminals)

another good spot is at the end of 02L/20R where the street turns into the tanah merah ferry terminal - park your car down the road about 200 yards and walk back - top of the hill (almost like a dike / dyke - sp??) is great for pics

happy hunting

G-KIRAN
Topic Author

Mon Dec 04, 2000 6:36 pm

I will be on SQ62 to bangkok on the 14th of dec.My flight departs at 0850 so will by observation deck be open when I get to the airport for check in?

Mr.BA

Mon Dec 04, 2000 6:41 pm

Hello,

The observation deck is open 24 hours.... both T1 and T2

Alvin
Boeing747 万岁!

G-KIRAN
Topic Author

Wed Dec 13, 2000 6:59 pm

Many of you said that you can shoot around the airport perimeter fence.But every time I go to Changi I see big warning signs showing a man bieng shot at by a policeman.So will I get my brains blown out if I take photos around the perimeter?

cfalk

Wed Dec 13, 2000 9:03 pm

I just found out that I will be in Singapore in January  

I have booked my flight so that I arrive on a Monday morning, but told everybody I won't be there until Monday night. One full day of spotting for me!  

Just to confirm, the viewing areas are accessable to anyone, without having to go through departure passport control, right?

Also, in the viewing areas, is it surrounded by glass, or is it open-air?

Thanks,

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Thu Dec 14, 2000 9:49 am

I think it's the military side.

Gundu

n949wp

Thu Dec 14, 2000 10:23 am

My friend "SIA Jubilee" has been shooting around the perimeter near the East Coast Road area, and saw those signs as well. However, he was never bothered by anyone. I guess that's just an overly-dramatic advice against trespassing. So long as you don't cut the fence or climb over, you don't have to worry about being transformed into Swiss cheese!!

'949