mikey

Light Conditions

Tue Jan 09, 2001 9:14 pm

how can i tell when i take a picture if the light contitions are good. Will the picture turn out good if the sun is behind me or if the sun is in front of me.

Mike
Ex LAX, LGB, SNA aviation photographer

hias

RE: Light Conditions

Tue Jan 09, 2001 10:01 pm

Hi Mike,

it depends which pictures you want to take:

If you want to take "normal" aircraft pictures it would be best, when the sun is in your back. Look at this examples:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Mathias Henig

Click for large version

Photo © Mathias Henig

If you want some "special" shots, you can face the sun and this will look like this:

Click for large version

Photo © Mathias Henig

Click for large version

Photo © Mathias Henig

Normally photospotters have the sun in their back, if it is possible.

Regards

Mathias

TomH

Tue Jan 09, 2001 10:28 pm

Mikey,
Hiase's advice is right on the money. I would like to add that one of the more common lighting problems you will encounter is high, thin clouds. The experienced photographer is usually looking for them, as they are present more often than you expect, even on what you assume are CAVU days-especially if you are in a mountainous area. When I get to a photo location I look first to where the subject will be when I take the photo, and immediatley afterward I look at the sky in the area of the sun briefly to see if there is a threat of cloud obscuration. If there is, chances are I will spend a great deal of time looking toward the sun to determine when I should take the picture. The picture below is a recent shot of mine, and it is troubled by high, thin cloud that has reduced the amount of light to a minor, though noticeable degree. The color has suffered in the process also. This shot happens to be one of the first flat-bed scans of a current subject photograph that I have submitted to this website, most other color shots of mine have been slides from PhotoCD. All the best. TomH
Click for large version

Photo © Tom Hildreth

ake0404ar

Tue Jan 09, 2001 11:22 pm

You can go many ways

1.) setting sun in the front of you

Click for large version

Photo © Vasco Garcia

2.) setting sun behind you

Click for large version

Photo © Vasco Garcia

3.) full red fireball right in front of you

Click for large version

Photo © Vasco Garcia

It all comes down to your personal preference. Try it out and see what you like best.

Regards
Vasco Garcia