andreas777

Spotting @ Abu Dhabi

Wed Feb 07, 2001 3:18 am

As i said in an earler post.. iwiil be travelling to Abu Dhabi shortly (with BA)
i would like to know if there is anything special i should know about photography in those countries..as i know they apply Islamic Law so i dont want my hand cut of bacause i toook a picture.....

anyways... if it is allowe.. does anyone have any info that might be useful to me

Appreciate it

Andreas

Pe@rson

RE: Spotting @ Abu Dhabi

Wed Feb 07, 2001 4:06 am

I seriously suggest you don't contemplate photography at AUH - it isn't recommended! If you do, you're intentionally risking being interrogated by the police, consequently, in extreme cases, resulting in imprisonment.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

andreas777

RE: Pe@ason

Wed Feb 07, 2001 4:42 am

Pe@rson:

Thank you very much for that information... i think it might be useful to me if i dont want to get into trouble... with the authorities.

Andreas

AirNikon

Wed Feb 07, 2001 9:53 am

AUH is not a camera-friendly place. Fortunately I wasn't tempted to shoot as most of the international flights operate in the middle of the night. I was advised in advance to just "keep them in the bag" until you are on the plane.

Not as bad as CAI though where they REALLY HATE video cameras. If you bring one into the country, they record the serial number in your Passport with the Visa. YOU BETTER have the same EXACT video camera when you leave, OR ELSE! I guess electronic equipment is very expensive there and they don't want people to bring-in items such as this and selling them for a 300% profit.
Don't get married, don't have kids, and you will have more money than you know what to do with...

BA

Wed Feb 07, 2001 10:07 am

Andreas777,
Photography in airports in the MOST (if not all) Middle East countries is prohibited. One of those is Abu Dhabi. Whatever you do, don't take any pictures there unless you'd like your camera taken away from you. They may tell you, to stop taking photos as a warning, but most likely they'll disgard the film in your camera. However, don't worry, they won't cut your hand off! There not THAT strict!
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

thomasphoto60

Wed Feb 07, 2001 10:43 am

If you have the time, you might think about SHJ (Sharjah) UAE. According to Airways (Nov'88) this is a very photographer freindly airport, a rarity in that part of the world. This ariticle as noted was written some 3 years ago, and in a sidenote to the article the goverment is putting pressure on SHJ to curtail this activity.

Try this e-mail, remember this is 3 year old info.

mgtsaa@emirates.net.ae

Most of the planes that utilize SHJ are old Freight dogs, with a lot of Soviet stuff, so it might be an interesting visit.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

andreas777

Thu Feb 08, 2001 3:19 am

Thanks a lot for all the info....

Andreas

1stspotter

Thu Feb 08, 2001 7:07 am

Hi,

Sharjah is still an interesting airport to visit. It is one of the few airports in the world where you can buy an apron pass and then are free to walk around. Very interesting planes can be seen here, lots of russian cargo aircraft.
There is some pressure on the airport authorities from other countries to ban airlines that are involved in smuggling of guns and diamonds. Air Pass and Air Cess are examples of those airlines. This might affect the possibility to buy an apron pass. Also the airport police seems not to happy about aviation photographers.

Last December it was still possible.

For more information on spotting here and lots of pictures taken at this airport, see my website.

best wishes
Marcel
http://surf.to/spotter